on 14 May 2011
This is the second book I have read by this author, and I have to say, he keeps getting better and better.

He is a gifted storyteller who serves up enough twists and turns to hold the interest and I found myself wanting to keep on turning the next page. Even though this is a substantial novel, I completed the last 50% of the book in one sitting. I really didn't want to put it down, it was that good!

If I had any complaint, it would be the odd typo here and there, but don't let that put you off a terrific story with a twist that I really didn't see coming.

If like me you enjoy a bit of escapism and enjoy reading tales of heroes and villains, honour and treachery, civil war and a quest for peace, with wholly believable characters and settings, then this is probably a book for you.

I will be ordering the other two books by Mr Turney very soon. Very well done!
on 3 May 2012
This was my first purchase that I made to put on my Kindle, I was apprehensive about what I had just purchased, after reading why S.J.A Tunney had started to create a new series of books I was highly intrigued. Being an avid Roman Historian, I wanted to see the sort of world that he had created.

The book is focused around the period of Interegnum, basically meaning no governance and english readers will recognise a similarity to English feudal society. The main characters are created around a highly successful named Caerdin and his band of mercenaries called the grey wolves for nearly twenty years after the collapse of an empire and everything that they held dear they eek out there militaristic existance selling there swords to the highest bidder until they stumble upon a young man named Quintillian, I dont want to spoil the book, so I wont tell you what happens, all I will say is that the book is full with political intrigue, great sword fights and great personalities.

The book combines Roman and Medieval similarities but the world that S.J.A Tunney has created is highly believable and I was drawn into the story and I could barley put the book down on my way to work every day, I know like me you will have been apprehensive about reading the book, its a great story on an epic scale and covers many points through out, with a great rivalry to cover all of the story.

If you purchase this book and finish reading it I recommend you read Iron Root and the Dark Empress both set around the same timeline as Interregnum.

Overall I gave this book 4 out of 5 its good but not great.
on 4 March 2016
I'm not a fan of Marius Mules - not much plot and too much marching and formulaic battles in the first couple of books - I did not continue on with the series - whereas the books from the Pretorian collection are page turners.

This is somewhere in between: the world of Interregnum is less convincing as it is invented and somehow lacking in depth (there is a strong sense that it is based on the Roman and Parthian empires and I think he would have done better to have continued with actual historical fiction).
Also, towards the end of the book, Turney appears to have lost interest and just wanted to end it, so the plot sort of lurches to a sudden finale, and the actual language and style deteriorates and some passages are actually quite badly written. Still, the first part of the book keeps you turning the pages, so I am hoping that the next ones in the series improve.
on 5 February 2016
This is the first book I've ever read after she turned's fantastic Marius mules series, and it didn't dissapoint, he kept the same pace up all throughout this book with practiced ease. His writing is excellent, he immerses you totally into his story and you almost feel your there with the characters, all of whom you would either follow into battle or willingly want to kill, the battles are descriptive and well planned, as are the history of the main players, the story flows along with no let up in anticipation and you can't turn the pages quickly enough, if you've never encountered Mr turneys writing before please do, you won't be dissapointed by an author on the top of his game
on 3 December 2012
I enjoyed the book immensely, however it is something that would certainly change if it were republished.
It start out in a fairly recognisable parallel universe. The names of the people and Islands changed to protect the innocent as it were but still a familiar world of Tiberius and Claudius even if they are renamed along with Capri.

However this plot then increasingly deviates and really takes off. I can imagine the fun had writing this and discovering just where it went. I won't drop any spoilers but really an excellent book and easy to see why the author considers it his finest work.
on 11 July 2012
I bought this book having thoroughly enjoyed the "Marius' Mules" series as a big fan of historical fiction. I'm not normally so keen on fantasy novels but, seeing that it was not expensive, decided this was worth a try.

The story is quick to build and is thoroughly engaging, making the reader identify with the main characters quickly. I struggled to put the book down from the beginning and although some small details of story line appear at first to be slightly unlikely, this is a fantasy book so it is acceptable. The end feels very slightly rushed and has a greater number of the issues I discuss below, but overall the story is a great piece of fantasy work.

Unfortunately the thing which distracts from the high quality of the storyline is the low quality of the proof-reading and editing. As I said before, this gets worse towards the end but by that point I was too engaged in the story to simply file the e-book in my "Annoying, do not read" folder on my Kindle (a folder which is slowly filling with some of the cheaper e-books I have tried recently). Basic things such as almost continuous incorrect usage of speech marks, occasional poor punctuation and simple mis-spelling increase in frequency as you work through the book; meaning that you have to spend a lot of time thinking "Ah, I think he actually meant to write..." which can get more than a little frustrating.

I admire S.J.A. Turney's efforts to self-publish - something I hope to do myself some day - but I believe further effort should be made in the proof-reading and editing of the text before the next book is published as these errors are enough to put some readers off.

If you are the type of person who reads reviews of your books Mr Turney, please feel free to reply to this review as I would be very keen to help work with you on proof-reading of any future works (or even working on a revised edition of this excellent novel).
on 15 May 2015
A brilliant story, one I could not stop reading. The plots and background were very detailed each episode more interesting than the last. I was sorry I came to the end, but look forward to reading more of S.J.A. Turkey's work.
on 14 November 2013
I generally enjoy historical fiction and Interregnum was no 'let down'...normally I plough through books quickly however having been busy I haven't enjoyed enough spare time to get engrossed as usual, so I found that I had to read this novel over a longer period. Each time I picked it up I got straight back into the plot and didn't want to put it down. I enjoyed the story and found that I was able to believe in the characters and to care about what happened to each of them...I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading books based around this period of history.
on 20 June 2015
Wow. I've said it before and I'll say it again. SJA Turney is a literary genius. Probably one of the best books I've ever read. Exciting from start to finish with such realistic characters I still think about them. Buy it Now, you won't be disappointed.
on 17 August 2015
Good idea but poorly written. For example; in the most stressful conditions his characters "wander". They don't move to, they don't walk, they don't stride - they "wander"! In one particular episode his characters 'wander' no fewer than seven times! There are other examples of irritating foibles, but suffice to say; I didn't enjoy it.
T.E.Goggin