on 8 February 2009
Firstly this is a book for interpreting labs results and clinical tests. It has nothing to do with statistics or clinical trials. It is excellent, clearly explained and quick to read. I discovered this book in my final year and actually wish I'd known about it sooner, the level is fairly basic (but enough for finals) and I would imagine a lot of it most medical student will already know by final year, that said I can't recommend it highly enough for first year clinicals. If I had read the explanations of LFT and ABG interpretations right at the start of my clinicals it would have saved me a long time trying to work them out for myself. It is the kind of book you only really need to read once so it might be worth borrowing it from a friend or library.
on 15 July 2007
wow, this book explains everything from ECGs to LFTs to ABGs in the most sensible, easily understandable way imaginable. Great stuff, thanks to the writers, i might have a hope of passing data interpretation. they actually make the subject interesting as well. Highly recommended.
on 11 February 2011
I really do like this book but its not difficult enough. My exam questions are ten times harder! I think they should keep the content as it is as it explains everything so well but they need to add some questions of actual med school difficulty in the next edition.
on 14 May 2010
At first glance this book is nothing to write home about. The layout is a bit amateur and I was afraid I had wasted money on another dud recommendation. After a while sitting on my shelf I decided to give it a go to get to the bottom of liver enzymes. Amazing. The relatively short chapter and worked examples made a topic that I had found very confusing remarkably clear. So I tried it for anaemia. The same again. In short I had underestimated this book. It is outstanding for finals revision and offers a more comprehensive review than many of the revision texts out there. My only complaint is that the quality of the book itself (e.g. the binding) but otherwise I would really recommend it - either for learning about investigations or revision of the most important concepts.
on 17 February 2008
This is a clear and concise textbook containing chapters on different topics. The layout consists of a few pages of information on each subject, followed by cases and answers. The answers are fully explained and simple to understand. This book is not difficult to read, although one or two sections need the backup of another book or some prior knowledge of the particular subject to understand fully. The last chapter contains complete clinical cases which are very helpful for finals revision.

I would recommend this book for finals, not least because there does not seem to be another competing title on the market, but also because due to it's simple language and layout, It shouldn't take too long to complete. It is also just about small enough to carry around and read in clinics if need be.
on 23 August 2013
It is a very basic book of data interpretation. It's ok it you are just starting to learn about data interpretation but would advise other sources and trying a more advanced book. However the case scenarios at the end of each chapter are very good standard with answers for each case given.
on 3 December 2011
I really like this book- perfect for medical course to start you off and then you pick more things up with practice as unfortunately patient's are never quite as simple
Some sections are better than others, but hopefully that will improve with newer editions
May only qualm with this book is that its falling apart!...the book began to come unbound within one or two uses and having spoken to about 10-15 other people I've found I'm not the only one
on 23 October 2014
Brilliant book and well worth the money for medical finals and beyond. I actually bought this book, (which was a godsend) for my finals and then sold it soon after they were over. I then re-bought it when i started work as i have since realised it has a place in keeping my knowledge fresh. I would recommend this for any medical student or doctor needing to brush up there data interpretation skills. The book is clear, concise and easy to use.
on 20 March 2014
makes sense of all the main investigations and their meaning that one encounters on the ward as a medical student. cases are of relatively easy standard, easier than required for finals, however they illustrate learning points very clearly and tackling more complex cases from other question books seems a lot easier since reading this book. wish i had got this when i started the clinical years not at the end before finals!
on 18 August 2013
This book should be part of every medical students mini library. Explains things concisely and makes difficult subjects much easier to understand. The cases are also very helpful for consolidating knowledge. Best medical book i own.