Customer Discussions > Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD) forum

Internet game only even single player option.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 May 2012 10:34:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 May 2012 10:43:51 BDT
Please note to play this game you will need broadband internet access at all times. Even if you want to play the single player option. If you don't have internet access when you try to play this game it will not work. I think this is a really stupid idea from Blizzard, yes I would play multi-player at times but other times I would also want to play single player and would not want to use the internet to do this. Mainly because if I am away from home or near my max broadband usage I will not want to use the internet. Because of this stupid idea that they've forced on this game I will not be buying this game which I have looked forward to for a long time.
Sorry just been told or informed that there is no single player option, don't know if this is true or not. This is an MMO game nothing else. A bit like World of Warcraft, which I loved but stopped playing because I didn't have the time to play this 24/7 and if you don't everyone else shoots up the levels and gear while you are stuck at lower levels.

Posted on 8 May 2012 21:36:21 BDT
Dom says:
There's a huge thread on this topic already, so you really didn't need to start a new one. ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/WARNING-single-player-idling-pausing-gambling/forum/Fx2Y2P4RIH4RC5L/TxZ0TWG5RWUNZ1/ )

"Because of this stupid idea that they've forced on this game I will not be buying this game which I have looked forward to for a long time."

If you had looked forward to it that badly, an issue as small as this wouldn't deter you.

Your loss.

Also...
"... or near my max broadband usage I will not want to use the internet."
The bandwidth requirements for Diablo 3 are going to be extremely minimal. This will not be a issue.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 07:53:36 BDT
Sorry didn't see the other threads.
It is a big issue and i am not the only one it seems will not be buying this game. I often travel and take my laptop with me and i can't always get a connection where i am. SO i will not be able to play this game. I love multi-player but when i want it and single version with no connection needed when i don't with this game it's all or nothing. So it's going to be nothing for me. Blizzard are trying to get people with a game that they want to bring back like they did in WoW. They should have said this is an MMO game only. Also what happens if numbers drop and they switch off the servers or if the servers crash or any number of things go wrong, no one can play the game. I have a large number of games i go back to and play for a bit of fun Like D2, in a number of years no one will be able to ever do this with D3. Once the servers close no one will be able to play this. Stupid bloody idea from Blizzard.

Posted on 9 May 2012 10:25:18 BDT
J. Laine says:
They have said one of the reasons they have it all server side is so that there isnt going to be any hacking like in the last diablo. Which with this Diablo, and the exchange of real money could cause a real issue

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 10:36:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 May 2012 12:48:51 BDT
Hi J. The same was said of other server side games as well, even Blizzards own WoW has been hacked. It's only a matter of time before someone either finds a back door or makes one. No idea how hacking works but it's a matter of when not if. The game will be good fun to play, but because the way they've done it will stop me from getting it. For those who do get it and play it, I hope it's all it's made out to be and more. As an Ex WoW player i hated Chinese gold merchants in that game or those who exploited the games AH in that. But at least that was game gold only. They had to use things like e-bay to sell items for cash. That is my main issue with the game. While I wouldn't spend real money on items I am sure that lots will do to try and keep up with others. And that will be exploited who will only play this game to make money and not for fun. There will be groups of players will be doing this almost 24/7 to get the best drops just to sell for cash, they will not want game gold just cold hard cash. They will even be selling gold for cash as well, either on e-bay or something else. While most players who do play this for fun will get drops and sell them that's fine i ahve no issue with that. But a lot will take this in my view to far.

Posted on 9 May 2012 11:04:07 BDT
Thanks for the heads up - will make sure that the 1990 version of myself who didn't have broadband gets the message.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 May 2012 15:21:43 BDT
Sorry Pat you've lost me on what point you've tried to make. Are you making a point about somehtign I've said or others.

Posted on 10 May 2012 10:11:09 BDT
Matt says:
Well, yes, the AH CAN use real money, which is kind of cool I guess.

Are you FORCED to use real money? No. So let those dumb enough to do it, do it. It doesnt affect you at all. I will only be using the AH for selling items I find that I dont need. I plan on finding everything I want instead of buying it on the AH.

Let the idiots who link the cards and paypal to D3 get hacked. It doesnt affect you.

Posted on 11 May 2012 11:18:55 BDT
If you have a good password, an authenticator and such you won't get hacked.

Posted on 11 May 2012 12:28:26 BDT
Imar says:
I'm probably going to run Normal mode solo to take everything in then seek out some co-op play later.
At least if my HD goes poof I know Blizz have my toons safe and sound on their servers :)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2012 22:15:56 BDT
Dom says:
Good point! That's something I always forget. One of the advantages to this is you can install the game on as many computers as you like, and wherever you login you'll have your exact same progress.

And I also think I'll be running Normal by myself - the majority at least - so I can appreciate the game fully. After that I'll play the majority, if not all, with friends or in public games.

Posted on 14 May 2012 21:48:32 BDT
M. Sikes says:
I love how people say that people with a good password and an authenticator can not be hacked. Sadly enough I know this to be false. I have seen many players WoW accounts hacked. One thing that can be frightening is if your D3 account is hacks and you have a WoW account that pays with a Credit Card...will the hacker be able to use your card to buy his items off AH for real money without your consent. I know gold farmers and bots are bad in WoW. How bad will they be in D3 for those rare items?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 22:22:10 BDT
Dom says:
I'd love to hear how someone is meant to be hackable even with an authenticator.

Posted on 14 May 2012 22:30:53 BDT
J Boswell says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 19:38:47 BDT
Graspee says:
Man in the middle attack.

Posted on 21 May 2012 19:48:14 BDT
as I posted in its own topic, D3 has been hacked already, and the number will surely grow in time, and yes, even with an authenticator, you account isn't safe. the best way to protect yourself is to run regular AV and anti spyware scans, but still, if the rumour is true that blizzard's servers have been hacked with a sql inject, then that will be extremely bad, and will effect a lot of users and data, but that is nothing but a rumour so far, but if true, then their servers aren't safe

and yes, WOW accounts have been hacked left right and centre over the years

Posted on 23 May 2012 12:07:16 BDT
Schwarzbart says:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/diablo-3-offline-single-player-petition/sign.html#se

Posted on 23 May 2012 15:46:02 BDT
That petition has zero use so don't even bother and don't spam that link around.

Posted on 25 May 2012 14:25:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2012 14:29:04 BDT
HerrKaputt says:
*in Fallout 2's "village elder" voice*

Ah, Chosen, again you blind me with your omniscience. Remember a few months ago when you said there would be "day one hiccups" and that after a few hours everything would be normalized? That Blizzard, more than anyone, knew how to make the launch of an online-only game smooth as silk? That people with stable internet connections had nothing to fear?

Your omniscience fails you, Chosen. :)

Humor aside (I hope you don't take offense), I agree that the petition is rather useless. It's a good way to vent your feelings, but that's it. The best way is to do as me, Chosen and others did: if you think the game is worth the money, buy it. If you don't, don't buy it. If you buy it and think it is faulty, ask Amazon for a refund (others have had success via this route).

At best, for those who haven't bought yet, prudence should tell you to wait 1-2 months to see what happens.

Posted on 25 May 2012 16:30:02 BDT
There were day one hickups. Some problems and things also only happened on the first day. And I never said it would be fluent the second day. :)

Posted on 26 May 2012 19:16:38 BDT
HerrKaputt says:
It still sucks that people with stable Internet connections are losing progress upon server glitches. I hope they fix that -- I plan to buy D3 down the road, once its price is reasonable.

Posted on 28 May 2012 13:26:54 BDT
Mr D.K Lind says:
I encountered a "lost" character (my first toon disappeared), glitches, lost progress and disconnects the first few days. Hardly something to smile about. However, it's much more stable now, even though the AH is still playing up at times, I think most issues seem to be sorted now.

Posted on 28 May 2012 13:54:25 BDT
I wasn't sure where to post this, there was a long discussion somewhere, about the GAH and the RMAH, and that some claimed that the RMAH will not effect the game apart from it requiring always on connection. however, I did say that the RMAH would effect the game, but I think a few did not agree, I think The Chosen One was one user that disputed that claim, saying that the RMAH could be safely ignored, it won't effect the game, and you wont be forced to use it

I know have proof, for those that defended blizzard, while I don't know where the original post is on blizzard's forums, I have tried looking for it, but someone on the Grimdawn forums copied the post contents that clearly show that the drop rates for many items are intentional, to force people to use the GAH and the RMAH once its online

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59883&postcount=446

as many people have been experiencing low droprates of yellow items and above, and have been forced to use the GAH to restock, now we know that the GAH has effected the game and those that said otherwise are clearly in the wrong. I just wish I know where the orginal post is on blizzard's forums, but this copy and paste is close enough, to prove that the AH system does effect droprates and ultimately the game itself, as you can't simply ignore it, as you are forced to use it

those that defended the RMAH, what do you have to say now?

Posted on 28 May 2012 14:59:42 BDT
Haven't defended the RMAH at any point besides saying its simply a smart decission to put into the game. Which is logical looking at Diablo 2.

And they aren't saying you are forced to use it at all. Simply that it needs to be taken into consideration for gamebalance issues. I could have told you that before the game launched.

Further; http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-auction-house-required-for-success

Posted on 28 May 2012 15:51:26 BDT
the problem is, playing D3 is a security risk now, as you may end up geting your account hacked, this is a widespread issue, for a game that blizzard said there will be no hacking, that they will offer the RMAH in a safe environment, this is complete BS now, if blizzard launches the RMAH now, they will find them,selves in some major lawsuits, right now they have pushed back the release date of the RMAH, and I dont see how they can ever bring it online with all thias hacking

what is more, several sites have been spammed with D3 gold sellers / powerlevelling and item selling, probably from items the hackers stole from people. so the RMAH will be a flop if it comes ponline, as itas not a safe environment anymore, what is more, if enough people gets their accounts hacked, they become banned from the RMAH once its online, so with droprates been so low, if they want the best gear, they will be forced to visit third party siites, and like I said they are advertising all over and that number is growing

so yeah, the AH system will effect droprates, so if you want the best gear you have to / forced to trade, from a few posts I have read, droprates at higher difficulties is pretty bad, you can't farm bosses anymore, that is intentional, as the first drop from a boss is thier best, after that boss drops are bad, you only get decent stuff from elites, but even then, high end eleites do not always offer a decent drop

so this in essence forces you to use the RMAH to get decent stuff, if droprates were a lot higher, then as that post I linked says, the AH will be flooded, and blizzard will not be able too get a decent cvut from the profits

part oof the fun of a ARPG is farming, and blizzard have pretty much effectively killed that, those that will profit from this will be blizzard themselves and gold farmers, as there are already bots and maphacks for the game, they will win and make the most profit, and if enough accounts are banned from the RMAH, third party sites too
its not a good thing at all, the game should not have gone down this route, blizzard have turned it into a business for gold farmers, nothing more nothing less

for everyone else, there is little point in the game, once you completed the story
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  8 May 2012
Latest post:  1 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD)
Diablo III (PC/Mac DVD) by Blizzard (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
3.1 out of 5 stars   (673)