on 8 June 2014
Very good processor at a reasonable price. Works great with my Rampage IV Extreme and Noctua D14-2011. It's the last of the reasonably priced processors. After that you can only go 6 cores and server.
on 5 November 2014
Great processor. Not as fast as haswell but you do get allot of functionality with the x79 chip-set. Plus you do get 40 PCI lanes with this one and only 28 with the new 5820 and have to buy the X99 motherboard + DDR4 (no difference in real world application or gaming comparing to DDR3 due to the higher timings on DDR4.)
on 3 January 2014
Intel i7 4820K Extreme Quad Core CPU - Intel really knows how to make processors and it's really shown within this model.

The CPU is unlocked as referenced from the 'k' at the end of the name. It runs stock at 3.7Ghz but can be increased with Intel Turbo Boost. It's a Quad Core CPU with 10MB Cache with added hyper-threading technology running the latest Haswell Architecture.

The CPU itself runs amazingly making my current Gaming PC smooth and swift. It will contribute to the RAM and GPU on intensive games, allowing them to be run on the highest settings. Bioshock Infinite for example runs like a dream and looks absolutely incredible.

I can't comment on the cooler that comes with it as mine is built with a water cooling system so this CPU never runs hotter than 30 degrees under heavy load. I have not found a need to overclock the CPU at all.

Specs;

ntel i7 4820k 10MB Cache 3.7Ghz Quad Core CPU
16GB Corsair XMS 8 RAM
Palit Geforce GTX 660 2GB GPU
Gigabyte x79 Motherboard
1TB Western Digital SATA HDD
Corsair CX750M PSU

Update: It turns out that this is in fact an Ivy Bridge-E chip and not Haswell.
55 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2015
If your motherboard is compatible, but does not have the correct BIOS installed before installing this CPU, then you may not get any image to the screen. This happened to me, and the only fixes available involved needing an older compatible Intel CPU, or completely replacing the BIOS chip. As I did not have a spare CPU to be used to install the correct BIOS, I had to contact the motherboard vendor who kindly dispatched a replacement chip with the correct BIOS already installed.

Now that everything is set up correctly however, I've had no problems and have been enjoying the extra processing power! Definitely worth having, despite the tricky set-up.
on 19 March 2015
This with a Crucial M550 (1Tb) drive, I've never had a problem with speed on my computer build and with a decent water cooler this could cruise along at 34-38C. With Dragon Age Inquisition I have never seen this CPU struggle or for that matter with huge AWK scripts that churn out large data files.
on 22 October 2014
a upgrade from the original I7 I have no complaint about this processor It is fast and I have not over clock it only complaint is that it should have come with a Heat-sink and fan apart from that great product
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2015
Awesoem thing , runs goooooood. but the price is jumping all over scale from £170 to £270 hard to catch ir in time. thats why only 4/5 stars
on 12 February 2014
this is an expensive unit and it is a little beauty runs as cool or as fast as you care to make great for overclock enthuesiasts
on 13 August 2015
Very fast. Very powerful. Easy to overclocking but unstable if you push it a little too high
on 27 June 2015