on 15 October 2013
Fitted the Intel BOXDC3217BY with:
* Crucial CT064M4SSD3 64GB M4 SATA III 6Gb/s mSATA MLC Internal SSD
* Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s CL11 SODIMM 204 Pin 1.35V/1.5V Memory Module
* Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 Dual-band 802.11a/g/n Wireless LAN Mini Card
More technical specification and tested peripherals can be found on the Intel NUC site.
Used one HDMI port for the TV, the other is plugged with a HDMI to VGA with Audio Converter Adapter to play music over the amplifier.
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bits was installed with an USB drive without problems.
Note that you need a spare C5 Power Lead.
In all a very discrete media centre to play movies, MP3's and watch TV over Internet.
on 16 January 2014
A fantastic piece of hardware. If you are looking for a powerful, virtually silent, reliable and fast ultra small PC to replace a desktop, then look no further. Boots Windows 7 Pro in 15 seconds from a cold start to a functioning desktop.

**Please Note**

The black model pictured is the DC3217IYE, **NOT THE BOXDC3217BY** which is red. The BOXDC3217BY unit does not have a network interface, you need to buy and install a separate WIFI device to connect this to a network.

The DC3217IYE comes complete with a 1GB network port.
on 9 December 2013
Please note the picture and description relate to a different product; DC3217IYE.

The DC3217BY comes in a red topped case and has no ethernet port and only one HDMI port. However, it gains a Thunderbolt port. It's a fine enough piece of kit, so long as that's what you are expecting.

Three stars (neutral), because there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the product, other than it's not correctly described. The thing is, if the vendor can't get that right what else are they not getting right? Hmmm.
on 15 March 2014
I purchased this unit only to find I had received a different model to the one advertised, no Ethernet connection was the main problem. I used Amazon's service to contact the supplier who without and arguments gave me a full credit after I returned the item, even paying back the postage costs.

I still wanted a NUC, and so started searching again, this time I decided to go for a higher specification model with the i5 processor 4 x USB3 connectors, with HDMI and Thunderbolt connections as well, the Intel NUC Kit D54250WYK. It also had the possibility of a 4K connection through the Thunderbolt which sounded interesting for future use.

The cost was about £100 more, and then one has to add the memory, of which I added 8GB, and a SSD drive, which I added a 128Gb. I only use the SSD drive for programs and data to run the unit, and some temporary storage, all other data is stored on a removable 1TB USB drive, which was an additional expense. I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu loaded as the dual operating systems, although after using Ubuntu one seldom wants to return to Windows.

My reasons for buying this unit were twofold, it was very very small, and used a very small amount of power. On basic tasks about 6 to 8 watts, running hard about 35 watts. One problem I found immediately was that it would not run off my solar power system without a slight problem of the graphics jumping. I use an inverter to convert a 12 volt DC battery bank system to 230-240 volts AC, and have never had a unit that did not work off it. I will be replacing the inverter with a pure sine wave model which should cure the problem. Another problem I found was in booting the system, it seems to want a screen connected and the boot filing system being used needs to be set-up, once these setting are made it then boots up every time without any problems.

Unless you need the expandability of a large desktop cased system I would highly recommend these NUC units, the i5 one I have runs very fast, generates hardly any heat at all, and of course uses hardly any power. They are idea to update you TV to a full computer system, such as you might be used to, and can even be hidden away behind the TV. I use mine with a 24" monitor and the graphic, from the inbuilt graphics chip are very pleasing.

Some NUC units do not come with a mains lead for the transformer, this one DOES.
on 29 March 2014
I was not expecting to get the Intel DC3217IYE when I placed my order as I had read the reviews but the price was still good for the DC3217BY model. I purchased from transparent communications at the time the item was around £124 it arrived 5 days later and within 15 main it was up and running with openelec installed. I have been slightly disappointed by how easy it all was as part of the fun for me is fault finding and fixing.

All in all excellent product the only problem is I now want to replace all my android TV boxes with nuc's.
on 3 April 2013
Ordered this computer on a Monday received on the Tuesday about 20 minutes after my email telling me that it had been dispatched. Very simple to assemble however make sure you download the intel drivers for this product on to a flash drive before installing an OS. The size is perfect. I kitted it out with 16gb ram and 128gb solid state drive. Runs like a dream.
on 11 June 2014
I use this as the central computer in my home. It makes me feel like James Bond because it completes all sorts of automated tasks.

I have named it HAL and sometimes I hold hands with it.
on 22 May 2013
Extremely small and very quiet, bit tricky with the Wifi antenna's to remove the covers and connect to the Intel Wifi / Bluetooth module but apart from that very simple build
on 14 April 2014
This is probably one of the most expensive ways to get a "budget" HTPC - but its also one of the best. The build quality is fantastic and the fact that you are forced to use decent ram and an SSD means that you actually end up with a decent and speedy PC at the end of it. I certainly dont regret choosing this over the cheaper options.
To reference other reviews - I received the IYE model as ordered. Also beware - there is a light sensor in the box which makes a noise when you open the box - I opened it at night and nearly threw it across the room!