Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 January 2012
Brilliant format of letters which can be easily dipped into. Diana Athill was candid, sympathetic and extremely generous in her friendships. I was particularly interested in her reporting of her personal circumstances and relationships. Her work with Andre Deutsch over many years, in publishing, gives an insight into her professional stamina.
Very enjoyable.
on 18 March 2012
Yet another stunning read from Diana Athill. My admiration just grows and grows. I am fascinated by the way in which she manages to look back at her life in such a dispassionate way, while conveying all the passion that was there at the time. She is truely a role model for how to age with not an ounce of self-pity or too much regret - and someone who inspires me more and more (although I suspect that the very idea of being an inspiration to anyone would horrify her!)
on 6 May 2012
The letters make for fascinating reading due to the honesty, integrity and self-deprecation of the author. At times sad but also at times made me laugh out loud. I certainly want to read more by Diana as she shows such humanity and humour.
on 8 December 2012
This compilation of letters gives the reader just a glimpse here and there into the life of an amazingly interesting lady. I'm not normally a fan of biographies but I enjoyed meeting Diana through her letters and have since gone on to read more of her memoirs. Its so interesting being involved in the correspondence of old friends who lead such interesting lives and Diana becomes the perfect companion for long journeys.
on 13 December 2012
What a remarkable woman and wonderful correspondent. It was a privilege to be let in on her wonderfully warm, witty and observant musings to two obviously dear friends.
on 14 March 2013
I loved this book as I love her writing, her style, her literary knowlwdge. I was also able to get her to sign it at the OLF, so it makes it very special.
on 16 December 2012
A credit to the writing skills of Dianna Athill that you only read one side of the correspondence but you feel completely involved.
on 2 May 2013
I love all of Dianas work she is a natural writer and very engaging at all times very quick and easy to read
on 7 October 2015
Touching postings from a life well lived for friendship and books
on 10 March 2013
I'm sure I'd like it if it was mine. Now you'll tell me I have to put in a ton of extra words, so here they are and this is annoying me, so no more reviews.
0Comment0 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse