on 2 May 2015
3 and a half would be more precise. It's easy to read, and contains more than a few 'revelations' about cars and people, relevant to those interested in the work that Mr. Bennett did. Being English, and old... my interest is more with regard to his work in the Grand Prix arena in the 70's and early 80's. Interest in the Indy cars is not so great because of the lack of exposure in the UK, until, that is, Nigel Mansell went stateside in 1993.

Mr Bennett observes things as an engineer, which is what he is, of course, and as a result the text can be rather 'drier' than I would have liked, as technical problems and solutions are gladly recounted throughout. Interesting from an engineering point of view, many of the subjects discussed were beyond me...

I wanted this book because the author worked with my favourite driver Gunnar Nilsson (sadly spelt 'Nielson' in the book) at Team Lotus in 1976 and 1977, and as far as I'm concerned, any new information about this is a must for me. That said, would I be unfair in suggesting that the author considers drivers as simply another cog in the (engineering) wheel?... Well, I know that they are, but some of us look more for the human angle...

For any engineers out there,who are interested in Motor Racing, and the technical problems encountered and involved, this represents a good book. Although from a personal point of view I'd prefer less technology to be involved in modern motor racing, it made me realise the hard technical work that goes on to create and build a racing car in the modern era (infact, any era), and as such provides an valuable insight into the industry as a whole.
on 12 October 2014
One of the better engineering biographies, this. I sold on Tony Rudd's and Tony Southgate's, good as they were; this one has more depth on car set-up and I'll be re-reading it. Nigel Bennett has the full range of experience, from tyres through chassis and suspension to aerodynamics. A good characteristic was his seeking to understand why things didn't work - even other peoples ideas as much as what worked well. My only quibble is that there should have been more of this material and in more depth, after all why else buy a book like this? Like most books of its type, the publishers must find it awkward to pitch. The circulation is going to be limited so the temptation must be to up the production values. Unfortunately the photographs don't do credit to this; some technical sketches would have been better to illustrate the concepts discussed. I'm sure the author could have knocked these off pretty quickly. Note also the spelling errors that pepper the book. Many names are spelled wrong which I found irrtating. e.g. Gunnar Neilson for Nilsson. Very good on the whole with some forthright opinions on characters met along the way. Always refreshing.
on 22 January 2014
Really enjoyed this autobiography! Nigel manages to accomplish what few others achieve, easy-reading narrative with detailed technical analysis. Also unusual among designer's, he highlights his successes, but also is very honest about less than satisfactory designs and describes in detail why they fell short! Rare and refreshingly honest account!

The book is beautifully produced with high quality photographs and cut-away renderings.

Recommended without reservation!
on 30 January 2014
Although of principle interest to the auto racing engineer and afficianados of CART and Grand Prix, it is entertainingly and very honestly written in a lively and humorous manner with interesting stories and anecdotes to suit the ordinary man who can also learn a lotfrom it.
on 20 April 2015
I worked with Nigel for many years but we never discussed his early years in motor racing, my loss. What a fascinating read. Well done Nigel.
on 23 November 2013
Very readable autobiography dealing with unusual aspects of motor racing ...from the designer and engineers point of view. Lots of photographs from the 60 s through to the 90s
on 30 November 2013
Covers racing car engineering and design for 40 years from the 60s to 90s. Written by a designer who contributed to several winning teams, both in F1 and Indycar.
on 24 August 2014
Some insights into the world of racing.