on 15 April 2008
This is the same book as 'The Victorian House' by Judith Flanders. It has been retitled, probably for the American market, but this is not explained on the website and is therefore misleading. I bought it thinking it was a new work - perhaps in more detail - so have had to return it.
on 22 November 2009
This is a very disappointing book, particularly as the spellings are American & so I think it must have been created for the American market. Although a lot of research seems to have been done, there are important omissions, such as details about the parlour. It is also quite a biased view as it dwells mainly on the upper classes & not the poorer working class. I am old enough to have known people who lived in these times & would consider that this is a very sanitised view. Life was very hard for most working class people & they did not have any 'mod cons'.
I would not recommend this book.
on 12 February 2016
Excellent read, very well researched with ample source material, but not at all academically prohibitive - in other words just the book you want to read to relax, entertain and learn. A subtle sense of humour makes this topic a real pleasure; in spite of dreary and often depressing facts the author offers an exhilarating and precise look at what is going on behind those thick curtains on the upper floors, and in the servants' quarters below.
on 18 March 2014
This is an excellent book. I think that Judith Flanders' research is very good indeed as is the final edition of her books. I purchased this book on the strength of having read 'The Victorian City' and, although I have not finished reading 'Inside the Victorian Home', I am finding it to be equally enjoyable and informative.