Format: Hardcover|Change

on 6 April 2009
This beautifully illustrated book has delighted our children (both GIRLS for anyone who thinks this is just a book for boys), who return to it again and again fixatedly to study the minute pictures of the development of castles over the course of the middle ages.

The book moves through an imaginary castle's development from a wooden Norman motte and bailey, to an imposing stone keep with curtain wall, a siege and finally to a modern ruin.

As with the other books in this series we have, there's masses to look at, and the text is just enough to introduce the subject without being too much of a problem for young readers to get to grips with.

The pages are thick and sturdy, as are the flaps themselves. Although it's getting pretty heavy use, it seems to be holding up well so far.

Highly recommended.
on 19 March 2010
My three and a half year old son is castle mad and he loves looking at this book. He is very keen on anything with flaps at the moment and he especially enjoys the pages on jousting and the castle attack. The book is very sturdy and should survive until he is old enough to read and discover all the little snippets of information for himself - great value to get a book that will provide pleasure for a number of years.
on 12 January 2010
I ordered this for my 4 year old boy, and we are delighted with it. It was bigger and smarter than I had imagined, with secret 'advent calendar' style flaps that your child can look for, hidden in the pictures. Behind the flaps, will be scenes hidden within rooms, towers, dungeons, or behind tapestries etc, which adds to the fun.
The book traces through the development of castles, providing the educational side, but in a fun and humourous way, that will survive lots of repeat readings, I expect.
If your child has already visited some castles or expressed an interest, this is the perfect book to accompany and enhance their learning and enjoyment. If your child hasn't visited a real castle yet, I am sure this will be the perfect introduction, helping to make their first trip even more exciting and fun.
on 10 January 2008
This is a wonderfully informative lift the flap book for boys aged 3-8years. The book gives detailed drawn pictures of castles, their development, inside of and castles today with lots of interesting little cameos to keep spotting. There are characters for the children to spot including Lord Simon, Tiggs the cat and Lady Eleanor plus funny incidents to muse over, creating lots of talking points for you and your child. My son, and a number of his friends have this book and its brought out time and time again to be explored and enjoyed. Highly recommended, especially for those budding knights!
on 30 June 2013
I bought this book for my four year old brother (19 year age gap between us!) he us just starting to show an interest in castles, knights and stories about dragons. He loved this book, reads it at least once a week, it's so detailed we always spot something new. It's a fun way for kids to explore history without really realising they're learning as they're having fun!
on 3 September 2010
My son was so enthusiastic when we looked at this book for the first time. He prefers non-fiction books and especially likes lift-the-flap books. No flap was left unturned. We enjoyed it together, especially as we'd just visited Warwick Castle. It's a great introduction to castles and includes a great page on jousting. We have other books in this series which are all really good but we like this one the best so far. I would recommend it to children 5 and upwards because of the flaps and the content. Each spread has only a short paragraph of text but there are informative captions on and under the flaps and a loads of detail in the pictures.
on 22 November 2010
This book is great! It is well worth the £10 it cost me - it has lots of little flaps to investigate with lovely little details inside. My class of 30, 6 and 7 year olds loved it - we ended up with 3 the same (from a library topic loan box as well) and it was continuously pored over by the kids for ages, when we were doing a topic on knights and castles. They never tired of looking at this book and learnt a lot from it too. It is educational and exciting. A great mix.
I would recommend it to anyone with kids aged 5 - 9. Possibly boys will love it the most, but the girls definitely liked it too - when they could get near it!
on 29 December 2011
My son got this for christmas after having the 'Pirate Ships' one for his birthday and loving it.

This one is just as good and has all the detail, information and interaction I expected. He was absolutely engrossed and hasn't put it down since he got it.

The size, thickness of the pages and how they are illustrated, makes these books a real winner with children. They don't patronise and use apropriate language. My son is 4 and a half and understands this book when read to him, but also enjoys just sitting and looking at the pictures on his own.

Recommended for children with an interest in castles and history.
on 23 April 2014
My daughter, aged 3 1/2, has several of the "See Inside" series of books, and Castles was our latest addition. It is as good as the others we have, with lots of flaps to lift, interesting facts to uncover and lovely illustrations. There is humour too, so it keeps a younger child engaged for ages. The card pages are good quality, and the flaps are sturdy enough for little fingers to lift (if supervised or if child is careful). This is one book for children that adults will enjoy reading just as much. Recommended to everyone.
on 6 August 2013
My 5 year old son loves this book, reads it nearly every night. It's great as a dip and out of book and the lift up flaps are reasonably sturdy. Supported his castles topic at school very well. Overall a great information book that shows different types of castles, and activities within castles such as jousts, my sons particular favourite is the feast page, he loves looking for the dogs and serving boys.