Format: PaperbackChange

VINE VOICEon 2 April 2007
All too many times one reads 'except British Isles'. I would have thought that the handiest and cheapest guide to insects in English published for the British market would have concentrated a bit more on Britain, no matter how much Collins wanted to include a picture of a praying mantis. A book with this much scope needs to be larger, a book this small needs to be more specific.
0Comment29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2006
No butterflies or moths but there is a separate guide available to cover those groups. This seems a reasonable decision when publishing in a pocket-sized format as a combined guide would mean that only half the number of species could be covered.

The information in the guide is clear and concise with good quality photographs for every entry. There are also illustrations on many entries that clarify those anatomical differences important for identification of the species or sex.

A fascinating guide that's been invavluable for me in my new found hobby of macro insect photography.
on 10 October 2011
This book is one of three collins GEM books I have bought. All ok for the purpose, would be better if the did a version just for the UK.
on 8 September 2010
This little book is, well, very little so fits in your pocket on a walk quite nicely. It gives a very basic guide to the more common insects, their size, habitat, range, season you can find them and similar species. It has a very simple key to follow and gives the scientific order that each insect belongs to. The pictures are also very colourful and easy to use to identify insects by site.

This book is for the complete novice and is not for the more serious entomologist. I bought it as an introduction but I'm now in need of an upgrade but it certainly got me interested.
on 5 February 2013
Being a bit of a naturalist (NB. NOT naturist), and having a bookshelf of wildlife guides, I was keen to get the Kindle version of some of my books. Saves me carrying a pile of books on my walk, just one Kindle. Satisfies all the criteria, better still if they offer the more substantial guides on Kindle, instead of just the Gem versions.
on 10 August 2009
This is a nice little book, but is not the best for identification of UK insects as it could be more comprehensive.
on 25 September 2013
For the price, a well balanced book. It saves me having to carry an other book in my rucksack. So another bok on my Kindle Fire..
on 1 October 2013
Very handy - I have it on my smartphone for use when out photographing or later when I'm labeling pictures
on 21 June 2014
I identified the insect I wanted to know the name of. My only issue is that a paragraph at the end of the book tells the reader to use their e reader search facility to aid identification, yet I do not have this option. I therefore have to one by one go through the pages. Not bad for the price and I am sure to use it again.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2014
A really handy reference book that has helped me to identify some the pests that have been plaguing my plants. My young niece has also enjoyed using it to hunt for insects around the garden.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse