on 19 May 2004
I am sitting my GCSE ICT exam next week. A month ago ,when I went to the bookshop to look at GCSE ICT revision guides, this one seemed the best. It focuses completely on the theory needed for the exam and not on the coursework component of the GCSE (unlike the Collins guide). It is adequately and colourfully illustrated to maintain interest (if that is possible when revising ICT) and not overloaded with pictures like the CGP guide. They are the superficial advantages anyway. Now for a more in-depth scrutiny...
Advantages: It highlights key facts/phrases/words, and includes exam style questions and model GCSE exam answers written by examiners. It also gives some great long lists of advantages/disadvantages of certain ideas within ICT- exactly the kind of thing that examiners like to ask in the exam. It has a thorough index for quick reference.
However, it does have disadvantages. It has no glossary. Points in the margin sometimes seem like add-ons that have been missed out of the central text by mistake. It can sometimes be a bit long-winded and redolent of a textbook rather than a revision guide...in fact many paragraphs were almost carbon copies of the textbook I had been given in school (Information Systems for You by Stephen Doyle-Second edition). The worst disadvantage of the guide is the incorrect exam board labels. The cover boasts of exam board labels to "keep you on course"- however I found that many sections missed out the AQA B exam label contrary to the the examining board's specification which said that these sections WERE on the syllabus. So I advise you to go through the whole book to avoid missing out key parts of your syllabus.
Concluding comments: Yes it does have some bugging disadvantages but so does everything. I still maintain that this is the best revision guide for GCSE ICT that you can buy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again