"An invaluable, insightful and readable examination of the hidden government tax none of us can escape." Simon Rose, Save our Savers
Inflation Tax is the first book to present in simple easy to read way why inflation is such a big problem in the UK (even at low levels). It is reducing the standard of living of most people and redistributing wealth from savers to debtors.
The book shows that inflation is not a mere by-product of random economic forces. Instead it is a stealth tax primarily paid by savers and pensioners. Furthermore, it has been used by successive governments since 1945 as a tool to manage the UK’s debts.
The book examines likely future inflation scenarios in the UK and the best ways to save and invest in those environments.
SECTION I - INFLATION
1. Inflation - why you should be worried
2. What is inflation?
3. Theories of inflation
4. Measuring inflation: RPI/CPI
SECTION II - DEBT
5. Government debt and the UK's Financial Dunkirk
6. Labour's post war solution to the debt
7. US inflation reduces UK debts
8. Debt: 1970s onwards
SECTION III - INFLATION TAX
9. The benefits of inflation tax
10. Who pays inflation tax?
11. Disguising inflation tax
12. Problems with inflation tax
SECTION IV - THE IMPLICATIONS
13. How to pay less inflation tax
14. Future debt and inflation scenarios
15. Concluding thoughts