Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 July 2009
Indulge, by Claire Clark is probably the best contemporary dessert book on the market for enthusiastic as well as professional bakers at the moment. The selection of recipes are varied and unusual and the photographs are beautiful. I loved the little 'notes and forwards' explaining about how the individual recipes came into being and can definately reccomend the Rich chocolate ganache tart with salted caramel and candied peanuts as the best dinner party 'pud' you will ever come accross, rich beyond belief but oh so good! The recipe for shortbread is superb and already a personal favourite and if you only try one recipe in this book make the popcorn sherbet and serve it with sticky toffee pudding, butterscotch sauce and threaded popcorn! Cant write any more as I am salivating over the keyboard!
review image review image review image
on 9 April 2014
I don't normally write reviews but felt compleed this time as so many had given this book a really glowing review. First off, I'd say that some of the recipes in here are truly amazing, inspiring, tricky (what I was looking for so I could learn) with clear method explanations and nice photography.

The problem is that this is hit and miss. Over 40 of the desserts don't have images, unaccpetable for a modern book when it costs little more to print a picture on a page - and it's suposed to be an inspiring book by a top chef. I want to see how they present their food as much as learn the recipe! Also many of the recipes are very basic; ones I'd expect to see in a beginner's book. Lemon posset?? Do you even need a recipe for that? It's just cream, lemon and sugar. Disappointing.

Also I think I've come across a few errors in measurements and instructions. What I think really has happened is that about 50% of the recipes have had thought, time and effort put into them and the rest are just fillers. Maybe they're not even Claire Clarks?? If these 'filler' recipes had not been there the book would have had five stars are they are exactly what I was hoping for. Buy it at the reduced price but it's definitely not worth the full cover price.
on 25 February 2013
Having bought a new oven and get the baking bug back, I looked through a few books an settled on this and another one. Some of the recipes are fairly technical, and many require equipment you wouldn't normally have in your kitchen. I've tried several recipes already; LOVE the lemon meringue - so much nicer than a standard one although it takes a lot of steps to achieve, but it is very worth it! Also adore the florentines, and the wedding fingers are so nice! As with all books, there's quite a few recipes I don't fancy, so feel a little restricted, hence the loss of a star. Also, some of the ingredients are really hard to come by, and even Waitrose, who normally have a good baking section, didn't have several things I needed. It's a shame the writer didn't give you rough times on baking, too, as sometimes she says to cook until set or thickened, but it would have been nice to give an estimate on these timings. Overall, a good book, and obviously a master at what she does.
on 19 May 2008
There is no doubt that this is a great book, with wonderful recipes that entice. But, as so many books written by chefs, it forgets that sometimes readers need a little hand-holding. I am an experienced and confident pastry chef, but sometimes these recipes need a leap of faith that they are going to work. The shortbread (the BEST I've ever tasted), for example, didn't look like it was going to come together at all, but I just needed to believe it would, and worked it more than I'd usually work a pasty...and it came together. The oat and raisin cookies had to be made by individually moulding each biscuit together, doing it like Clark recommends just didn't work for me. But the results are worth while just bear in mind that this isn't Delia or Nigella...you're on your own.

None of this should detract from the fact that this is one of the most originally and scrummy-looking baking books in many years, if they'd just added a few more lines to each recipe, it would get five stars.
on 5 March 2012
This book really is worth every penny.
I only got the book about two days ago and already made a few things.
The scones are great (i don t like scones but liked those) and if you want to make then savoury just cut the sugar by half, add mustard powder and 100gr of cheddar.
I also made the shortbread (it is good), and the icing for the carrot cake is fab.
The book is inspiring, a lot of great pictures and you feel that Claire Clarks is an experienced baker that worked for the best.
Not a single bad thing to say so far, you really can tell that the author is a perfectionist and that she loves her baking so much that she wants us to get hooked too.
on 27 March 2013
This is a lovely book with stunning photographs but achievable recipes. I had to try out the famed shortbread which is excellent. There's probably a way to cut it into neat oblong fingers but mine looked a bit scruffy.

I made half the recipe, formed it onto a round, fluted the edges, marked up petticoat tails and forked through to the baking sheet. I can't stop eating them, they look and taste wonderful. Have my eye on a few more recipes I want to try.
on 26 October 2007
If you chose your dinning experience from the desert forward this book is a must for you. The pictures are a feast for the eyes, the descriptions add to the desire to enter the kitchen and create and then once you have taken that step the instructions allow you to create your own piece of magic.

Claire's notes add to the feeling of the book which is that she wants me to be able to create these amazing deserts.

I am off to buy some eggs and double cream and then into the kitchen to create.

Enjoy this book, even if you only use the microwave in your kitchen you will enjoy the book for the way it awakens your desire for indulgent desserts
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2015
This was bought intended as a gift to a good friend who loves all sports of crafts and cooking, and the author is reputed as one of the best. O e look through, and my friend didn't stand a chance. No way am I parting with this one. In just the first few pages I was spotting my absolute favourites, and the further into the book I looked, the more my mouth watered. I'll give her a gift card.
on 8 February 2011
One of the best dessert books I own... and I own a lot.
Fantastic range of brilliant recipes. Beautiful photography.
on 2 November 2007
If you ever had the pleasure of tasting Claire Clark's dessert at the Wolseley or the French Laundry then you must already be hooked!
If you haven't had this divine experience here is your key to her heavenly indulgences: Open the book, enjoy the designer photos of the most mouthwatering dishes and follow the recipes! They work!!!! This book is a must for any food and art lover as both worlds are combined in this coffee table beauty! The Pecan nut brownies are just to die for!!!! But before, you have to try them all! Happy baking... with Claire's advice, it's a piece of cake!