Customer Discussions > Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) forum

Inconsistent picture quality on the 2D version of the film.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Jan 2013 02:43:48 GMT
Ian Sinty says:
Is anyone else experiencing inconsistent picture quality in the 2D version of the film? The image viers from being crystal clear to extremely noisy in the space of a couple of frames. I have also noticed colour bleeding on top of the excessive purple coloured digital noise which, in my opinion, ruins the look of the film. If it's the directors intention, that's another thing. I just couldn't feeling slightly disconcerted with what I was seeing. Very off putting in parts. In particular, there was a scene where Lena Headey is pacing down a corridor with her bodyguards, they momentarily walk into shadow, and the picture practically drops to VHS quality. I am not exaggerating. It could be my copy, of course. Just wondering whether anybody else has experienced such issues.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 07:08:42 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 1 Feb 2013 18:12:39 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 21:16:09 GMT
3D version on the disc is just as poor, very grainy in places. I think the problem is that both 2d

Posted on 16 Jan 2013 00:09:02 GMT
Agree, same problem on 3D. The colour i can understand as its supposed to simulate the drug induced euphoric high but the noise in some scenes is very bad ! Which is a shame as the movie is very good !!!!

Posted on 16 Jan 2013 22:27:04 GMT
It was apparently a conscious decision by the director to make it look grainy in the dark bits. This is apparently to make it seem more real and less of the fake HD sharp look. Can't say I realised this myself until I read it online.

So yes, it was the directors decision. Google it.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2013 01:55:49 GMT
HRH says:
You are indeed correct. All I read about is how grainy the Blu-ray is and it's clear that those complaining haven't seen the other films that Dredd's cinematographer shot. They look exactly the same. The only reason the grain wasn't as obvious at the cinema is because it wasn't being viewed on Blu-Ray, which generally highlights everything.

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 17:34:24 GMT
robert says:
its supposed to look grainy guys this is how the director shot the film

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2013 17:42:19 GMT
Just watching the movie for the first time in 3D, looks stunning - but the "corridoor scene" (24mins into the film) mentioned earlier still looks quite grainy in 3D. Low lighting and "style" of filming would account for it I suppose. Nice to watch a 3D movie where the Director/Cinematographer actually understand how to use 3D to it's full effect.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 03:09:04 GMT
Dreddhead says:
It was filmed in a sand pit - hence the grain.

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 11:51:18 GMT
S. Pike says:
I was disappointed with the picture quality when watching Dredd. To me it's not grain (consistent film grain is a good thing!) but the problem is unpleasant looking digital noise in the blacks. It should be noted that this movie was not shot on film, but with purely digital technology so film grain would not naturally exist anyway. I think it is possible that this digital noise is part of the intentional look of the film, but I'm not totally convinced since it looks more like a shoddy transfer to me.

Also is the US release a superior version anyway? They get 7.1 DTS HD (upgradeable to neo 11.1 !) and we have the basic 5.1 DTS HD soundtrack, what gives?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2013 00:25:58 GMT
Bourne1886 says:
It's not as bad as everybody is making out. Those scenes are few and far between. I have the US edition and it looks amazing both in 2D and 3D. A few grainy scenes don't bother me as this is the intended look of the film and it all adds to the feel of the film etc.
As for the 7.1 soundtrack, it is amazing, definately one of the best ones to grace a BD.

Posted on 20 Jan 2013 22:16:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jan 2013 22:18:21 GMT
J. Sullivan says:
both the UK and US disk have poor 2D version. but the 3D on both UK and US are getting top marks for PQ.
so importing the US disk will not solve the issue

Posted on 21 Jan 2013 11:56:53 GMT
Bourne1886 says:
I've got both the US and UK editions and the US disc is the better option for PQ,SQ-7.1 DTS HD MA and bonus features.

Posted on 24 Jan 2013 20:17:11 GMT
Nj says:
Grainy-ness is one thing, we've had two copies now where it looks and sounds like a pirate VHS! Stutter-y video jumpy and broken sound on both copies. Amazon are now sending us a third copy, but I'm not sure I have any faith at all. Both previous Blu-ray disks came out of the sealed plastic damaged and the second one had finger prints on it!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 22:32:43 GMT
Stephane says:
Mine too as I already said , the picture of the 2D version is horrible! Looks like I'm watching a VHS :(

Posted on 25 Jan 2013 09:29:02 GMT
Cartimand says:
Dredd was shot in 3D and that is how it should be watched. As has been already mentioned, the use of lurid colours was intentional, as was the grain in some shots (notably the torture scenes). I guess something may have been lost in the 3D to 2D conversion. Perhaps it's time to treat yourself to a 3D home cinema system in the January sales?

Posted on 27 Jan 2013 15:17:03 GMT
RabbitHole says:
If your TV has a 'theatre mode' make sure you switch it on, makes the film look 100% better in my opinion. I was also dissappointed by the low quality in places, but found that this goes a long way towards improving it.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jan 2013 02:58:05 GMT
HRH says:
Got my UK copy now and it plays perfectly. It also looks great and any grain/noise (which I didn't find problematic really) is simply down to the way it was shot. It's also a low budget flick and was never intended to look like 'The Avengers'.

Posted on 28 Jan 2013 14:54:18 GMT
Daniel Kirk says:
Very very noisy picture indeed. The quality on this Blu-Ray is the worst i have seen on Blu-ray..

Didn't see it in 3D though..

Posted on 31 Jan 2013 00:57:35 GMT
Bourne1886 says:
Like i said before, Lets be fair, these issues re the picture quality amount to a few scenes here and there in 2D and they don't last for long. It is not constant throughout the film and yes there are far worse films for picture quality on Blu-ray than this. Robocop, The Italian Job (remake) and Mission Impossible for starters. Lots of DNR.

3D is the way it's meant to be seen.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 00:44:37 GMT
C. Gould says:
"Mine too as I already said , the picture of the 2D version is horrible! Looks like I'm watching a VHS :("

No it doesn't.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 00:45:41 GMT
C. Gould says:
"If your TV has a 'theatre mode' make sure you switch it on, makes the film look 100% better in my opinion. I was also dissappointed by the low quality in places, but found that this goes a long way towards improving it."

Except no two theatre modes look alike. You're better off calibrating your standard viewing mode to bt.709.

Posted on 2 Feb 2013 22:44:07 GMT
J. Edwards says:
I don't think there was anything intentional about the look of this film. The whole way through the film my BD player was wheezing and groaning like it was taking all its effort to read the disc. I'm guessing his is what you get for cramming 2D and 3D versions on one disc. Shots varied from perfect HD with beautiful black levels, to grain verging on static from the 1950s, to almost the absence of black replaced with blue - all within a few seconds of each other. Such a shame as I loved the film and just wish they offered a separate 2D disc version.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013 03:27:23 GMT
MadusMaximus says:
Indeed. Reading some forums around the web I found quite a lot of people having issues with their disc simply not working in some players too. The PS3 is a popular one for it to completely fail in. There were a few batches that had issues with the disc that prevented them from being played in more feature rich players yet they worked fine in bog standard ones, which is odd. I wish they used two discs. There were some issues with another movie (the name of which I forget right now) where they put the 3D and 2D presentation onto a single disc and that also had problems with not working in some players and with varied image quality.

Posted on 5 Feb 2013 01:12:25 GMT
C. Williams says:
For those who keep stating that the 'grainy image' was placed there on purpose, you are obviously viewing a different version to the rest of us. I own nearly 200 Bluray films, so I'm certainly used to the 'grainy' style that is seen in some films, either due to its age of the original filming, or the style in which the Director wishes us to view it, but this is CERTAINLY not one of those films.
Every few seconds, it changes from 'perfect', to being SOOO grainy, that you struggle to see what's happening in the film.
I've taken a photo of the film after it's been paused, while its playing in 2D mode on a 1080p setting. I've posted this image to Amazon's description page of the product. View it to see just how bad the image gets, and this photo hasn't been taken at the worst point either!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  15 Jan 2013
Latest post:  12 Jun 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Dredd (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) by Karl Urban (Blu-ray - 2013)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (1,204)