The definitive guide to incident response--updated for the first time in a decade!
Thoroughly revised to cover the latest and most effective tools and techniques, Incident Response & Computer Forensics, Third Edition arms you with the information you need to get your organization out of trouble when data breaches occur. This practical resource covers the entire lifecycle of incident response, including preparation, data collection, data analysis, and remediation. Real-world case studies reveal the methods behind--and remediation strategies for--today's most insidious attacks.
- Architect an infrastructure that allows for methodical investigation and remediation
- Develop leads, identify indicators of compromise, and determine incident scope
- Collect and preserve live data
- Perform forensic duplication
- Analyze data from networks, enterprise services, and applications
- Investigate Windows and Mac OS X systems
- Perform malware triage
- Write detailed incident response reports
- Create and implement comprehensive remediation plans
About the Author
Jason T. Luttgens is a former technical director of the security consulting firm Mandiant where he led dozens of global investigations involving industrial espionage, cardholder data theft, and other crimes. A veteran of the U.S. Air Force, he served in the Office of Special Investigations and at the Department of Defense’s Computer Forensics Laboratory.
Matthew Pepe is a senior technical director and co-founder of Mandiant where he has led numerous investigations, serves as a subject matter expert, and developed the forensic capabilities that are in use today. A veteran of the U.S. Air Force, he served in the Office of Special Investigations’ Computer Forensics Laboratory.
Kevin Mandia is senior vice president and chief operating officer of FireEye. He founded Mandiant in 2004 and served as the chief executive officer. While in the U.S. Air Force, Kevin served as a computer security officer at the Pentagon and as a special agent in the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.