Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 October 2013
Quite simply the best book I have ever read in this area. A truly wholehearted and thorough tome not just in trauma itself but for understanding the body, the mind and why we are the way we are. It makes absolute perfect sense and will really encourage you. I read it from a 'study' point of view and it has benefitted me in a way I never thought possible to open up new areas of research and interest. Equally if you are looking to read it because trauma and anxiety have deeply affected you or those close, it explains everything totally clearly in a very instructive and educated yet perfectly comprehensible voice. The reason I study this area is because I have been greatly affected and therefore totally resonate on the personal level too. If you have been looking for 'answers' and 'cures' this will move you forwards. You will feel like a different person and see the picture you have been trying to uncover for so long. Don't rush the reading, take it all in. It has the power to transform your life. Outstanding!
on 25 March 2012
As someone who works within the mind/body industry, I find this book to be priceless. We still have a long way to go to catch up to what Levine is proposing as a very real connection between our bodies and our emotions, unfortunately. After having read it I am left wondering, how did we get to the point where, as a society, we came to believe that our bodies where simply these appendices we use for locomotion and nothing else?

The evidence Levine presents is very compelling, leading us step by step in a journey of understanding how exactly the body stores emotions, and in particular trauma which more the emphasis of this book, and how that will have such a strong impact in our lives. It changes our common perspective from the typical couch therapy purging out of past experiences, to one where the body is also seen as part of the experience itself, and as such is integrated in the healing process.

It also explains much of what I have seen through my own work in dealing with people's bodies on a daily basis.

Highly recommended.
on 8 November 2011
This is a very good book, and completes information about how the body holds trauma. Not just the really big things that happen, but also trauma from everyday events. The UK has been waiting for this knowledge and I hope more people pick it up and start using it, so we become a healthy society. Our bodies don't lie - but we often don't listen to them. I do hope the medical profession start to acknowledge these issues - this book will help.
on 2 September 2013
This book was a fantastic find for me personally. I came across it at a critical point in time when exploring both Mindfulness and the Feldenkrais method. In combination theses approaches have provided me with amazingly powerful tools that I think I will value for the rest of my days.
on 28 February 2013
I am doing a Masters in psychotherapy and this book is on the reading list. I have already read 'Waking the tiger'
Easy to read and very interesting. Can't wait for the book that Peter Levine is going to write which includes spirituality.
on 5 April 2015
Very well written and it has helped me tremendously in learning to release unresolved trauma. Having tried many other techniques, this one actually works and enables you to release previously "locked" feelings and emotions, physically from your body. A must read and highly recommended.
on 10 December 2013
To get the best out of this book, you need to be able to flick backwards and forwards quickly and a lot.
This is not so very easy to do in Kindle format.
For readers after the ( interesting & useful ) content about how the body stores and releases trauma & under what conditions, I recommend you buy a paper-printed version. Then you'll be able to flick back & forth to your heart's content and flag many pages with bits of torn-off post-its.
Wonderful, for me, was the learning about what trembling means as the body feels safe enough to run-off it's stored memories/potentialities. I've been able to use that knowledge to good effect in practice with clients.
on 13 May 2015
A life changing book for people suffering with PTSD, a physical condition caused by trauma trapped in the body or anyone involved in their care. Peter Levine explains how an interrupted fight or flight response can lead us to freeze in a state of perpetual terror. Many of his conclusions about the human stress response arose from his study of animals in the wild. Why it is that prey animals, whose lives are an endless series of brushes with death, recover so easily and quickly. It turns out it's because once the danger has passed they literally shake it off. Have you ever noticed how after an accident, or other traumatic event, you start shaking? This is the body's way of discharging the trauma (stress chemicals that flood the body at such times) allowing us to regain calm within the system. This book is informative, fascinating and easy to read, the culmination of Peter's life work. It also includes details of his own road accident in which he got to put his theories to the test and avoid PTSD himself. I can't recommend the book highly enough. I'm looking forward to the day when it's on the reading list for paramedics and training doctors so frontline people can do the right thing on all levels in the event of people suffering trauma.
on 30 March 2016
This is very powerful work, and needs to be read with some caution and awareness if you are a person who has lived trauma, I have had to read it a bit at a time and process some things that have come up for me as I go...... I think that is important to consider when to read a book of this nature and to observe oneself and feelings as you are doing so, there is a lot of learning just there.... The nature of the work of course can and most likely will have triggers....but brilliant, I have new hope for my life and the work I would love to do.... This book is informative, practical, and an easy to read from a lay out point of view... I have two of his other books too, he is a really great teacher, and gives examples all the time, which for me help anchor in the work.. Highly recommend any of Peter Lavine's work.
on 29 January 2013
Peter's writing style is very clear and engaging, and I find he uses the perfect mix of clinical and day to day case studies/anecdotes to keep the information interesting and applicable.

Body awareness is something that we are severely lacking, and this book will help you to regain knowledge and control of the body, with much insight into how the nerves carry messages from around the body to influence how we feel, and therefore how we think.
I recommend this book to anyone seeking to learn more about the mind-body system, and it is great combined with a course of bodywork therapy.