Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.00

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This novel promised to be a dark, tense murder mystery set in the stunningly beautiful Alaska. What I expected from that was a strong, dark serial killer/police procedural packed with threat. I expected the glorious Alaskan wilderness and beautiful scenery to be used to add layer upon layer of colour and shade to the plot. My expecations weren't met on any level. In Broad Daylight is dull and written to such a tried and trusted formula it offers little in the way of surprise. I feel so disappointed.

However; I did enjoy the historical aspects. I started to feel involved when the plot began to explore themes set around an ancient sect. Unfortunately, there's not enough of that which is such a shame. Developed further those themes could have rescued this novel and made it quite unique.

There's little here apart from a cat and mouse chase and a female police officer who's haunted by her past. You're basically following a series of twists and turns as you discover how she'll react to threatening and isolationg events. When the ending comes it's long overdue and you'll probably have guessed it well before you reach the last page.

If you want a lighter, easy to read, police procedural without challanges or tension you'll probably enjoy In Broad Daylight. I didn't. Wish I could give a 5* review to every novel but that wouldn't be honest and my review has to reflect my true, personal, opinion.
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Jess Harding is an FBI agent based in San Francisco. In middle of the last decade she was sent to Alaska to investigate a serial killer. The killings stopped and nobody was arrested - indeed, there were no suspects.
Now the killings have started again and Jess is sent back. Eventually she finds out that this time it's personal - the killer writes her name on the wall in the blood of his victim. When a man she's become aquainted with is murdered in front of her, she's taken off the case and sent back to San Francisco. And the killer follows.............
Written in the first person, the narrative carried me along and got me page turning. The characters are great, the story puzzling and fast-paced. A thoroughly good read and highly recommended!
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been favourably impressed by a number of Thomas & Mercer thrillers but I found `In Broad Daylight' well below their generally high standard. It is not "a taut psychological whodunit" as claimed in publicity blurb, but is merely a succession of brutal killings and bizarre clues with a stereotyped serial killer ahead of the law, and a predictable ending lacking logic. Some readers enjoy this sort of `wham-bam' action without proper explanations, but for me `In Broad Daylight' is too far-fetched and its characters are unbelievable. The story is narrated by the main protagonist, a somewhat maverick FBI agent who seems most concerned with her own standing amongst colleagues, and implausibly she withholds information from them. Furthermore I dislike crime novels where the investigator is part of the plot, and this is the essence of `In Broad Daylight' (spoiler already given in publicity material). Added to this is the ludicrous manner in which the FBI agent `feels things', `hears voices', acts on `hunches' etc. `In Broad Daylight' is not even average - hence 2-star rating.
on 1 February 2014
This works okay as a thriller to fill a few hours with. Only quibble would be the lead character, FBI agent Jess Harding's inner monologues about sexism in law enforcement. Whilst I'm sure there is still sexism faced by female law enforcement officers, it's kind of a dead horse and just makes me feel less sympathy and more "Get on with the job" whenever I find it in novels now. Also, I seriously doubt that any over-achieving agent like Harding would have packed only one change of heels and a skirt suit to go to someplace like Alaska. Not even in summer.
on 20 June 2013
An interesting story line but like a lot of American books it does not have any real depth as a murder mystery. A better explanation as to why he killed his victims would have helped. However, an easy book to read and worth putting on your kindle as a holiday read.
on 17 March 2014
I found the book a bit boring & long-winded in places. Repetitive and not really credible. Devoid of humour and heavy on the 'female' psychology. Not my thing at all.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In Broad Daylight tells the story of Jess Harding, an FBI agent. Her first big case was a killer in Alaska; we meet her five years on when she is recalled to Alaska following a new killing. Jess is now based in San Francisco and has done well with her career but she missed catching the killer in her first big case. Now it gets personal as the killer follows her across the country to give her a message.

In broad daylight is a fun read. It's a cross between Scandinavian crime fiction and a North American FBI/serial killer novel. It has the best of both worlds but just misses being a stunner of a novel. I enjoyed the location and characters and found the novel to be well rounded.

There are a few leaps to take in the believability of the book but nothing that really detracts from its ability to please. I found the fact no-one saw Jess name written in blood a bit far fetched but that is a minor criticism.

Overall its a good read, easy to get through in one sitting with nothing too complex for a reader to follow. You like serial killers or Scandinavian crime its worth a read, but its not quite the top of the heap so enjoy for what it is!
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't usually read detective novels, but this sounded good from the information, and as it turns out, was good.

A serial killer is prowling a small town in Alaska during the 'white nights' of their long summer evenings. The agent tracking him has worked on the case previously, and becomes the hunted herself.

It was well written and I read it in a couple of nights. It was well paced and I really wanted to get to the end as quickly as possible. The characters were a little flat if I'm honest and the action was a little stodgy in places. I felt the central character came to her conclusions a little too easily and noticed things at the crime scenes that I'm sure others would have seen, but missed apparently. A lot of the narrative centred on her travelling by car or plane to crime scenes which became a little repetitive at times. I'm not sure I really "felt" the atmosphere of the places or the scenes, or her fear or frustration, but on the whole it wasn't bad. The ending was a bit flat too, but maybe I was expecting a big finale which I didn't think really happened.

Not bad and worth reading, but don't expect too much.
on 4 June 2014
Very simplistic style of writing and poor character development. This is the first book I have failed to finish. The plot was poorly developed and obvious but it was the lack of character development that finally made me give up. Beyond making the heroine swear frequently and out of context to portray her as a strong character does not really give any depth to the character.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Jess Harding is an FBI agent who has been involved in the search for a serial killer in Alaska five years ago. That was unsuccessful and she felt driven out of the state by the sexist attitude of her co-workers. Now the killer is back, and so is she, and this time he seems to be after Jess personally.

The plot is quite a common one, serial killer targets investigator and investigator has to go it alone because of lack of support from colleagues. Good books have been written using this theme. It is set in Alaska and San Francisco; both of which are interesting cities. There was plenty there to make a readable or even an exceptional book but unfortunately the book lacked the elements which would push it above the mediocre.

Jess was an unsympathetic heroine and I never engaged with her at all. Apparently she had nothing in life but the job but she didn't get on with most of her colleagues (she talked a lot about sexism but we didn't actually see any of it in the book except through Jess' comments about what had happened in the past). She had few friends and those she treated appallingly, ignoring them and then making demands without any form of reciprocation that I could see. She complained endlessly about not being given information and then withheld important evidence and things she had found out from others - in fact, we don't see her talking openly to her colleagues about the case at all.

I became more than a little tired of Jess' investigation being driven by her desire not to tell anyone else that she is being targetted and also by the dreams and hunches she had at important moments in the plot. I didn't believe that she could have only one case and be able to conduct it entirely without reference to anyone else except the odd telephone call. I thought that her habit of hiding important developments from everyone else was totally unprofessional and that she was downright nasty to her friends and colleagues. I gathered that we were supposed to admire her maverick attitude but I didn't see why she had to go it alone at all.

I never really understood the murderer's motivation or why he was obsessed by Jess. I would have liked to know more about the Old Believers' cult. I thought that the author could have conjoured up the atmosphere of the two locations much better.

All in all, I thought that this was an unsuccessful book. It was too unbelievable and the main character was too unsympathetic.