on 7 February 2000
This is a fabulous read, even for those without any scientific background. Great descriptions of the genetic links between a variety of societies, cultures and religions around the world. It doesn't just focus on disease but also their evolution and how genetics has helped to elucidate this. It brings genetics to a human level that everyone can identify with. Now I want to find out what famous people I'm related to! Highly recommended.
Steve Jones' book tries to draw together ideas and lines of evolution from many different sources, and is indeed a thoroughly engaging book. I personally disagreed with some of his reasoning, but that is in part the reason for books such as these - to make you think about the subject, and for that it succeeded.
on 6 December 2014
Not exactly the book for me, as I am not too interested in the religious aspects... However, some interesting cultural and social situations mentioned are nicely tied in with genetics, so that makes it worthwhile.
on 20 February 2008
I have read this book 8 years ag and this is the second time I bought it, It makes science fun and still remains informative.
on 18 April 2013
book - so interesting. It arrived on time, safely, well wrapped and kept me awake for nights because it was so interesting. It may be dated but it is still very relevant
on 25 March 2013
I read this book a few years ago and loved it, it belonged to my dad and now I have bought it so I can give it to my son!
I really hope he enjoys it as much as I did. speedy delivery and good price too.
on 29 December 2012
Professor Steve Jones makes the subject of genetics come alive.
He has an easy style and makes the subject highly enjoyable and accessible.
Have re-read this book three times.
on 25 March 2013
One of my favorite's books.
Very interesting stories about human history hidden in our genes.
Very impressing and surprising !