Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 August 2013
I was interested in Immunology 8th edition having had an immunology module in the first year of my course in medicine. I have come from a non-science background so ultimately wanted a book that could explain the difficult immunological concepts to me in a moderately simplistic way. At first I felt that this book didn't offer that - the book's title isn't "basic" immunology for a reason! However, as my interest and knowledge grew throughout the module I felt that the book became significantly more useful. I therefore feel that this isn't a book for complete immunology novices, but for people who already have a basic understanding of the subject and then can use it to develop and expand their knowledge.

The book itself is aesthetically pleasing to read as the sections are colour co-ordinated and the pages are vibrant. It is not a "wordy" textbook and is full of figures composed of diagrams and tables. This enables it to be a useful read for the "visual learner".

There are "summary" boxes at the start of each section and "critical thinking" boxes at the end of each section. The summary boxes are very brief and provide a succinct overview of the section. The critical thinking boxes have questions to test further knowledge of the section - the answers provided at the back are very useful as they fully explain the answer rather than just given it.

The most beneficial aspect of the book, in my opinion, was the additional material provided through the online edition on student consult; animations, case studies and self-assessment. The animations are short and sweet, and easy to follow.

(Ruth Jarvis, Elsevier Student Rep)
on 21 May 2013
I have always found that my knowledge in immunology was at the best very sketchy, and hence i bought this book. I read it cover to cover. It is simply outstanding in its lucidity, coverage of various topics, and pictorial representation. I could not find any faults with the book or the material printed therein. It is good book for people who wish to develop a basic understanding of the subject without getting caught up with extraneous details which some other books on subject have provided.
I would especially recommend the book to students who are preparing for USMLE step1 exams.
on 1 January 2014
I love this subject. unfortunately I didn't get the book until later on in the semester but it would have been an amazing study guide. The online content is amazing for those last minute crammers like myself. would definitely recommend
on 13 December 2015
Nice layout, concise concept explanation and useful diagrams: exactly what I needed for my degree. Not the latest edition but now enough for the needs of most. Just be aware that there may be some highlighting and scribbles of notes if you're buying used.
on 14 December 2015
Well written book, but at other times it assumes that the reader has rather half detailed knowledge already thereby the detail is not explicit as one would hope for and I should stress that its only in a few areas
on 21 June 2016
it's a vast subject and this book organises the material in a good way. if you only need one book to supplement the study of molecular cell biology [say] then this is a sound choice
on 12 February 2015
just liked I got it from a regular shop