Director Tarsem Singh never, ever, shortchanges you on his visuals. Presented in razor-sharp 1080p, and in 3D too, Immortals
is a busy, dramatic and sparkling home cinema demonstration. It hardly skimps on the action, either.
Said action kicks off as Mickey Rourke’s King Hyperion amasses an army, with the intention of waging war on humankind. This he does quite successfully, until the small matter of Henry Cavill’s Theseus interjects. It turns out that Theseus has been chosen by Zeus to do battle with Hyperion, and that’s pretty much all you need to know, before settling down to a couple of hours of medieval fantasy battling.
Anyone familiar with 300 will know the score here. Story isn’t Immortals’ strength, instead giving way to wave after wave of blockbuster carnage. There’s some terrific CG work at play here, too, that makes good use of 3D. And rarely isn’t something of note happening on the screen.
The extra features are good, with the Blu-ray boasting a pair of alternative endings, along with a different opening too. The ones chosen for the final cut edge them out, but it’s interesting to see what else was considered. There’s some more traditional deleted material, too, and some welcome insights courtesy of the behind the scenes footage. It all rounds off a strong package, for a relentlessly entertaining film, warts and all. --Jon Foster
From the producers of 300
is a visually stunning and bloody retelling of the epic Greek legend of Theseus in awesome 3D. The ruthless King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) leads his bloodthirsty army on a murderous rampage across Greece to find a deadly weapon that can kill the Gods themselves. Only Theseus (Henry Cavill), a mortal chosen by Zeus, King of the Gods, can lead the fight against Hyperion and his evil army with the fate of mankind and the Gods at stake.
- It's No Myth
- Carravaggio Meets Fight Club (Tarsem's Vision, A Matter of Persepctive, Immortal Warriors, Settling a Score)
- Deleted Scenes [Lysander Defects to the Heraklions (:31), Hellenics Arrive at Mount Tartarus (1:24), Zeus Confronts Poseidon (1:16), The Minotaur Tracks Our Heroes (:34), The Young Gods Discuss the Epirus Bow (:33), Mondragon and Beastmaster Report to Hyperion (:57), Helios Reports To Cassander (1:04) and Hyperion Curses the Gods (:23)]
- Alternate Opening Scene: Young Theseus
- Alternate Endings: This is Our Last Embrace and Theseus Kills Hyperion
- Excerpt from "Immortals: Gods & Heroes" Comic Book (50-60 Still Images)
- Theatrical Trailer