I must be the exception here, but this adaptor worked fine for me in XP and 2k. XP didn't even need the driver disk, but pulled a working driver off of windows update automatically. Worked with my old USR modem perfectly, and even worked connected to the console port of a Sun Ultra Enterprise box. 2k needed the driver downloaded off of the iogear website, but then worked perfectly.
If anything, it worked even better under linux: I didn't even have to do anything to get the driver to load; it just worked, where windows made me run through a wizard to get the driver loaded. I didn't try hot-plugging it under linux, but I don't see why it wouldn't work that way too. Even the minimal 50MB DSL distribution worked with this adaptor without any special configuration, again successfully using an old USR modem, and working as a console for a Sun Ultra Enterprise using `microcom -D/dev/ttyUSB0`.
I don't know what I'm doing any differently than the people that say they are having problems with this adaptor, but I've not had any indications of trouble from this device. Under windows, I'm using an old generic driver that was either from windows update (XP) or on the iogear website (2K). The XP driver I am using says it is for an `ATEN USB to Serial Bridge` and is dated 7/16/2003, version 18.104.22.168. Under linux, the generic pl2303 usbserial driver supports this device and gives you /dev/ttyUSBx device links.
I have had good luck with this device, the speed is pretty good and it's fairly small, taking up very little of my precious laptop bag real estate. The price was modest and the construction seems to be fairly durable. Since it is supported under linux, even on a restricted microdistributino like DSL, it is going to be of much more use to me than I might have expected, given that linux support is not listed on the box. I really don't see what else I could want: it works as advertised.