Lead single, "(Didn't Steal Ya) Boyfriend", perhaps telling the tale of a feud with fellow bratpacker Lindsay Lohan, has a much funkier sound than her previous work, revealing the influence of producer John Shanks. Similarly the 'La-La' reminiscent of"Coming Back For More" introduces nu-wave sounds to her material.
The energetic "L.O.V.E" is the pick of the album standing out by combining the attitude of Britney's "Do Somethin" with the cheerleader beats of Gwen's "Hollaback Girl" and producing a party track that's sure to become a dancefloor filler.
Confident yet searching, I am Me flirts with 80s production throughout and produces a more mature, tighter sound than some of her peers. --Talia Kraines
Find more music at the BBC This link will take you off Amazon in a new window
2) In Another Life: Ashlee's voice sounds kind of like.. Liz Phair in this song. Slightly. It has a catchy chorus, although I think the lyrics are slightly not raw enough for Ashlee. It's good to have a song like this on her album though, it adds to the character and nature of Ashlee's album. Reminds me slightly of Love Makes The World Go Round from "Autobiography". Nice guitar in this song. 6.5 / 10 for this track!
3) Beautifully Broken: This track starts sounding like a song created by Hilary Duff or Lindsay Lohan- but what's wrong with that? Exactly! Nothing. This track is a little more amateur from the rest of the album, but that doesn't make it any less credible. The lyrics are borderline for Ashlee, but the melody is good. Reminds me of Texas! Lol.. I wonder why? I can see the music video right now.. But let's not go into that. This is a slightly more disappointing track on the album, but I think that it deserves its place- if that makes sense? Overall, I'd give this track 5 / 10!
4) L.O.V.E: Well done Ashlee! This track is brilliant! I can sense this being an addictive track, with its club-like beat. Does anyone else agree that this song is going to get slightly annoying after a while? Lol, who cares? I love it for the moment! This is one of those tracks which should be a possible 2nd single. Really good versus! I L.O.V.E them! (Cheesy :P).. This track gets 9.5 / 10!!
5) Coming Back For More: Upbeat! There are nice guitar riffs in this track, I like the 'stop-start' effect used. I like the Chorus to this track, although I wouldn't recommend it as a single. I think it makes a good album track, and it's not a filler. It lacks that unique sense that Ashlee has seemed to carry throughout this album, and sounds like something I think should've been on Autobiography. Overall, though, this track is likeable. 5 / 10!
6) Dancing Alone: What lyrics! They are spectacular! This is a slower track from Ashlee's album.. I can see the video for this track right now! Ashlee's vocals are presented really well in this track, and the arrangement is all very good. It's an easy listening track... I think it's pretty hard to dislike this track. Really good. 8 / 10!
7) Burning Up: Waow! What a song! This is probably my favourite from the album- it's so different from what Ashlee usually does! I think that this is also potentially a good second single from Ashlee, as it's really unique in my opinion. I love the beat! Got kind of an electro feel to it, in my opinion! 10/10 for this track!
8) Catch Me When I Fall: The song about Ashlee's SNL incident- which, in my opinion, there was nothing wrong with! However, Ashlee felt the need to and did a very good job. The piano at the start of the song is really good, which makes you immediately know the song is of a more mature nature. When the drum beat kicks in, we know that this song is immediately a credibility to Ashlee's album. Could it have done with more melody? Maybe, and that may fault the track, although it doesn't take points off. It sounds almost like a cry for help from Ashlee, but I love it. This track is a credibility- 9.5 / 10!
9) I Am Me: The new 'Autobiography'! Could another title track live up to the unique and loveliness of the amazing track "Autobiography"? Well, this track proves that it can indeed! 'I Am Me' is an amazingly haunting track! It has a (once again) great guitar beat, and the drums are really effective in contrasting with the lyrics, if that makes sense. This is a truly amazing track! I love the lyrics! Keep up songs like this Ashlee! The "Woo Oh" part is extremely addictive! 10 / 10!!
10) Eyes Wide Open: This is a dreamy track. The Chorus is quite haunting, and the lyrics go with this image. I could imagine a video, set in an old, haunted house. This song is quite pacy once it has gotten into. I think that this track also would belong more on "Autobiography", however I think it manages to merge in quite well. On its own, this track sounds really good. However, when placed in number 10 on the album, I think this track gets slightly forgotten. Overall though, it's a good and safe track. 7 / 10!
11) Say Goodbye: A ballad. The lyrics are sentimental and I think personal to Ashlee. I really like this song, it's easy to listen to and it's also quite sad. I think Ashlee has shown her writing skills 100% in this track, and her vocal talents also. I think the arrangement of the song is also something worth pointing out. The melody is used as simplicity in its finest, but it goes with the theme of the song. I think this is an amazing track to end the album with, and shows that once again Ashlee has managed to create a successful album for her fans! 10 / 10!
My overall opinion on the album is that it has been beautifully created. It is a credibility to Ashlee's fans (including myself), although some tracks are slightly disappointing. Favourites would have to be; Boyfriend, L.O.V.E, Burning Up, I Am Me and Say Goodbye. Others are all credible on the album, though! 10 / 10 for the album as a whole, and I cannot wait for the release date!
This product's forum
Active discussions in related forums
Search Customer Discussions