I am very interested in the general "sub culture" of the racing world and always keen to read books where insights into this world forms part of the plot. There is a lot of interesting stuff about the betting sub culture syndicates here. But as so often now, it is spoilt for me by the introduction of gratuitious sadism.. (I would make the same complaint about the Eddie Malloy books by Richard Pitman and Joe McNally). Maybe it is just me, being female, maybe adding this element makes the books sell better to guys who like a strong sadistic element but it does not appeal to me. I do not see why crime in the racing world needs to be sadistic? My other criticism is that the book's plot is rather contrived. It is based on the hero having to go on the run, chased by sadistic killers, and the police are busy fitting him up for a crime he did not commit. Now I can buy that the police are lazy, incompetent and even corrupt, but I don't really buy that they would arrest a guy who reported a murder to them, and then charge him with it and another murder, based on the flimsiest of evidence - the word of a drunk trainer, some unconvincing bits of planted evidence and the fact he did a few months time in the past for getting mixed up with the wrong crowd. On this basis the police decide he must have committed two nasty murders and do not bother looking any further- instead he is set up to take the rap. Sorry I just don't buy it. It is a shame because the writing is very readable.
on 2 February 2013
I quite liked this book. It went at a good pace although parts of it were a bit far fetched. But overall it was a good read for people like myself who like horse racing novels!
on 18 October 2015
I was disappointed in this book - some reviewers had compared Ben Osborne to Dick Francis, and his ilk.......it wasn't! I found the evidence for his arrest very thin and his treatment in prison just beyond belief. I managed to finish the book and will probably read more of Mr Osborne (as I've already downloaded them!) The plot was good - the writing was fine - but it needed some reality checks. I found myself speed-reading to get to the end and admit to a little skimming! Maybe the next book will be more believable - here's hoping
on 26 December 2013
I am not embarrassed too say that I really had to be in escapist mood to read this through. For a first novel it was probably a three and a half star because the storyline was not without times where I thought "that is a bit far fetched" but hey ho! it bought me a couple of day's worth of escapism which is what I was looking for in yet again following other readers recommendations.
on 26 March 2014
Anyone expecting a well written, fast moving racing novel in the style of Dick/Felix Francis, John Francome or Richard Pitman will be very disappointed. This book is awful, I persevered with it for quite a few chapters but eventually gave up as it didn't improve and failed to hold my attention. I'm glad I only purchased the first novel by this author as I won't be buying any more!
on 1 September 2013
Pacy and interesting plot however as already reviewed plot has some major flaws most importantly being the timing around the horse hyper tension which would have to be a three year old to run in the derby and given this book is over months not years does not stack up. That aside a fun read
on 10 April 2013
made the mistake of reading this book second. but with ben osborne this does not really matter as each book is a new story.i really liked this book for such a wonderful tale of suspence and danger and the finish to the book was a totaly unexpected.
on 12 September 2013
I would recommend this author to anyone who likes the fast moving world of horse racing. Written in a similar style to Dick Francis, this book will appeal to readers who like a page turner. I am hopeful that his next book will be equally thrilling.
on 18 February 2013
love this book if you enjoy dick francis and john francome you will enjoy this even though people on here are going on about the spelling if you look further than this you will find a book to enjoy and wile away afew hours will start number two now
on 22 March 2014
I enjoyed this book about an ex jockey turned tipster who finds himself arrested for a murder he didn't commit. When he tries to prove his innocence he reveals a fascinating plot of cloning, high stakes and murder. An exciting read.