on 11 August 2014
Update 16.4.15
Following 8 months of wear the strap has now split where the watch meets the strap on the inside exposing the inner workings of the unit, so it is no longer waterproof, and once the rest of the strap splits it will be unwearable... not the best investment of £99 I've ever made

********
I've had this about a week now and thought that's enough time to have figured out most of the functions pros and cons, so here goes.

Firstly the product is available in 2 sizes (according to the packaging)
Small 13.5 - 17cm wrists
Large 16 - 20 cm wrists

However there is no size option available when purchasing, not sure if they ship a random size out or not, but I got a large one, and have to wear it on the smallest setting...

.. which leads to another issue, the loose excess bit then flaps around and cause the unit to move around a lot on your arm, so I had to order a "18mm Rubber Watch Strap Replacement Retaining Hoop Loop Keeper" which arrived today and fits perfectly, not sure why they couldn't ship it with something like this.

A previous reviewer mentions that it doesn't display texts, not sure if that's a bad thing though, as when you are driving it vibrates a lot and it's quite distracting, and thats just from the "sitting down too long" notification you get every 15 minutes (ish) (you can turn this off but it's a handy reminder). This only vibrates during waking hours, so if you work night shifts etc i'm not sure how intelligent the product is?

The pedometer picks up walking with swinging arms or hands in pockets, It has made me realise that I don't walk anywhere near enough, so that's a good thing.

The sleep monitoring works pretty well, and after wearing it for a few days you forget it's there...

Which also leads to another point, its display screen scratches really easily, after only 5 days I already have a gouge on the centre of the panel, because as I say, you forget it's there.

The bluetooth sync to the android app "Huawei Talkband" is hit and miss sometimes as I don't leave the bluetooth on all the time on the phone, so it doesn't always reconnect to the unit first time. It syncs and displays a breakdown of steps over a 24 hour period in a graph, and by week and month in a table. It also gives you your hours of deep sleep and light sleep, plus how many times you woke and tried to get back to sleep.

You can turn on the option to vibrate if it detects you falling asleep, but it's not configurable so if you actually wanted to fall asleep it could get quite annoying I guess, but could be handy for long car journeys (just in case).

Anti phone theft feature - (if you leave Bluetooth on all the time on your phone) When the unit gets more than 10 metres from the phone it vibrates.

Software updates are done from the app and sent via bluetooth to the phone.

Charging, so far it's still on it's first charge and probably has quite a few more days left in it, and it's been on 24/7 since I got it.
Friends have the fitbit but say that charging is a hassle, with this the watch strap simply plugs into the USB port of any laptop / PC or USB charger plug and it's a 2 hour charge.

The bluetooth earpiece has good sound quality and comes with 2 alternative sized removable rubber ear bungs to keep it in place in your ear.

The display isn't particularly bright outdoors in sunlight / daylight, but everywhere else it is fine. With a twist of your wrist you can turn on the display to see the time and also for each subsequent twist it rotates between the current days steps, calories and the hours of sleep from the previous night.

It's my first pedometer, and I'll probably not use the bluetooth earpiece much, but all in all it seems like a good product that could do with a couple of tweaks in the product selection (small or large), screen durability, a strap tidy and adjustable screen brightness.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 July 2014
Brilliant piece of technology. I use my tablet as my only source of telefony/internet communication and the Huawei solves the problem of never missing calls as well as taking calls without having to ever lift my tablet to my ear. I use the pedometer a lot when out running and find it very accurate. Overall very happy with this product and having shown it to colleagues at work am happy to report that two have also purchased the same. It would have been a 5 star but for the fact it doesn't show texts. Perhaps fixed with a firmware upgrade.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is an interesting take on the wearable activity tracker as it doesn't just track you movement and sleep but it also features a detachable bluetooth headset!

This detachable headset also acts as a screen which displays 4 screens:

1) Bluetooth status, time and battery level
2) Pedometer reading
3) Estimated calories burnt
4) Time asleep

The screen will also display who is calling you, showing the name in the phone book, and will vibrate to give you a notification. The vibration works well, it's just strong enough that you notice, but not so strong it's distracting. A nice use of this is that if you've not moved around for a bit the band will vibrate and show a little man on screen doing jumping jacks to indicate you should move around (this feature can be switched off).

Due to the size of the bluetooth earpiece the band feels a little bulky and isn't that subtle, it really stands out when wearing every day clothes. The strap also doesn't have a loop on it to keep it nice and tidy, which means some of it sometimes sticks out.

Given the screen it'd be good if it gave you more notifications, not just calls, so texts, emails etc. Maybe not show them on such a small screen, but just something to flag that you've received something.

There is an accompanying app that synchronizes the data so you can track your stats. Its basic, but does the job. Note there isn't (at present) a way to export the data for use in other apps.

It's a nice bit of kit, but for me an activity tracker should be something you feel you can wear all day, not just when exercising, and for me this just doesn't do a good enough job of blending in with everyday clothing.
on 9 November 2014
Huawei Talkband B1, I have to say it is brilliant ,its a blue tooth headset and it does everything a jawbone does but better.
Best thing is its waterproof for up to 1meter for 30 mins,not like the jawbone which is only splash proof.

Here is the link info on the Huawei band.

on 14 November 2014
Its a great device it tells you the time and how many stepdad you've taken and the how many hours and minutes you've slept its also a Bluetooth headset
on 26 December 2014
Bought one of these and it failed within 3 months. Very poor response from Huawei under warranty. Wouldn't recommend this product.
on 11 March 2015
Users advantages:
-You will not miss a call, from now on!
-You will not lose your bluetooth because it is on your hands..
-You will wake up in the morning without waking up the whole block of flat...alarm is vibrating on your hand!
(Personally I have no interest in sports, hence I will not name the training advantages of the watch)

Disadvantages:
- No date information
- apart from calls it isnot a bluetooth (i.e. music)
on 17 August 2014
I have had the same problem with the size. i also received the "Large" size and James Clinton pretty much describes the problem we are facing, and there is no option to choose from. they all come in "Large". if you take a look in the description, you will find the dimensions are :24.7 x 1.9 x 1.4 cm, 24.7 being the Large, and 22.1 being the small; that's what i discovered after purchasing the unit and having this inconvenience. i contacted customer service, they were very helpful but they had no idea about this issue and i was promised that they will look into it so it doesn't happen again, yet now i see someone having the same problem as mine without them taking action. so PLEASE, MENTION THIS ON THIS ITEM THAT THERE ARE TWO SIZES AND THAT YOU ARE SELLING THE LARGE ONE.

measure your wrist as per the below to see which size you need before buying, bearing in mind that the only size available is Large.

Small 13.5 - 17cm wrists
Large 16 - 20 cm wrists

i was looking ever since to try and by the rubber wrist band small size alone since it comes in several colors, i figured it should be available as a stand alone or an accessory, but apparently it is not available anywhere on the net so i guess they didn't release them yet. will have to wait.

but otherwise, it is a must have piece of tech for all the heavy talkers who don't want to loose their bluetooth earphone. thumbs up for Huawei
on 4 February 2015
As my partner found out to his upset the Hands free part pops off far too easily which makes for a very expensive error also Huwae do not respond to customer enquiries full stop, terrible after sales service.
For something they have spent so long plugging and investing in marketing for this they really should get a grip on what customer service means.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Huawei Talkband B1 is the perfect place to keep your bluetooth earpiece! When not placing or receiving calls through the earpiece, you can place it securely in the wristband and it looks very attractive and becomes your wearable fitness device tracking your sleep and activity. It does not always record my movement unless I swing my arms quite a bit almost forcefully. I do like that it reminds me to move when I have not moved in some time.

The app was easy to download, install and set up from Google Play store and shows number of steps as a fraction of goal, distance, exercise time, and calories burned. This talkband is superior to other fitbands in that it will remember to track my deep sleep, light sleep and falling asleep even when I forget to initiate it. I really like the activity reminder but you can turn that off if you like in the app settings. You can also set an alarm for the talkband to wake you up if it detects you are falling asleep. Some reviewers comment on syncing issues, but I found that if it was not synced, all I needed to do was put my finger on the app screen and pull down and syncing would initiate and successfully sync. If you touch the circle that has your movement or the other circle that displays your sleep, it will take you to another screen giving you your data for the day, week, or month. You can update this firmware when available.

This Talkband B1 is attractive and comfortable to wear. It fits wrists as small as 135-170mm to as large as 160-200mm. It is water and dust resistant. It will charge in a standard USB port. It paired fast with both my android tablet and android smartphone. It has dual-mic noise reduction and my caller could hear me very well and clearly as I could them as well. Even when I had taken the earpiece out of my ear, I did not miss any calls as it was on my wrist! This feature is the one that sets it apart from all the others and has the super cool factor that will get others looking at you wondering if you are from the future or what! LOL

This Huawei Talkband B1 Talking and Tracking Wristband with removeable bluetooth earpiece is the perfect solution for anybody who has lost their bluetooth earpiece and wants a safe place to secure it readily available for use when a call is received. This alone is invaluable in itself but you get the added benefit of recording your sleep pattern without having to be reminded as well as being reminded to move when having been inactive for too long. It is the perfect choice when these things matter most. I received one complimentary gray unit for review purposes.

See one answered question