Size: 67 mm|Change

on 30 August 2009
I bought this HD Circular Polariser (CPL) after having used the Hoya range over the past few years and being extremely pleased with the brand overall (quality, build, polarizing effect and ease of being able to screw on and off)
Overall, I prefere the Hoya range over many other makes and brands and find them to create a deep polarizing effect (to increase saturation of colours, skies, bring out clouds and reduce reflections).

However, with the exisiting range of most brands of CPLs, they are commonly known to reduce the amoung of light entering the sensor by between 1-2 stops of light (in other words, they amount of light hitting the sensor is reduced by half to a quarter of the amount without the polarizer attached).

This means that longer shutter speeds are necessary (great if you can hold the camera steady for blurring water, or on a tripod, not so great if you are handholding your shots).

This CPL is a new HD filter, which allows around 90% of the light to hit your sensor while keeping the polarizing effect the same. This means that you can maintain higher shutter speeds and stil get a great effect.
This enables me to keep the CPL on at all times (except for indoor shots and low light shots)

This CPL is not to be confused with the pro-1 range (which still reduces the amount of light like the regular CPL; the only difference with this being the that the pro-1 range is a very thin filter, thereby reducing vignetting at very wide angles.

I highly recommend this CPL and Amazon has one of the best prices around (currently deeply discounted)..
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2011
I have a 5D MKII and use this on a 17-40mm and there's no vignetting, even at 17mm. Awesome build quality and stunning results.
on 18 April 2012
Having read loads of reviews on various websites I finally decided on this model of polarising filter. Although relatively expensive it is likely to be used a lot - in fact as most of my work is outdoors it is attached almost permanently to the lens, to be removed if NOT required, rather than an 'extra' added if required. Of course the amount of 'effect' can be adjusted by simply rotating the filter, using the white arrow marker on the edge as a guide. It is thin and light enough to be unobtrusive, with no noticeable vignetting. It is claimed to be dirt and scratch resistant, although I have not tested this! The main plus points are that it can provide the right amount of effect (not 'over the top' artificial-looking results) with minimal reduction in light transmission, which means you do not have to reduce the shutter speed too much, and so far I have not noticed any colour cast which some PL filters seem to add. Used with a Canon EOS 7D with 15-85 lens.
on 1 August 2011
I bought this polarising filter in mid-June after reading a review of polarising filters in "Advanced Photographer", in which it was awarded "Best in Test", but was rather expensive. It was a pleasant surprise to find it available from Amazon at just over 1/3rd of the usual price.

I have now used it for about 6 weeks and I am very pleased indeed with it's performance. It works really well darkening blue skies, improving contrast between clouds and sky, and brightening the landscape generally. It has improved my landscapes considerably. It reduces reflections in water quite well, but did not remove reflections in images that I took in an aquarium, although perhaps this was too much to ask.

It is very easy to use and is so thin and transparent that I hardly noticed it on the camera, it certainly did not reduce exposure by any noticeable degree. The front, rotating element of the filter has an arrow marked on it which made it very easy to reset to a standard position between shots. This feature made it quick to set for different photographs, with different lighting. It was also very easy to keep clean over a longish period of use, even greasy finger marks and damp spots came off easily. One very small niggle is that the back filter element is so thin that to remove the filter from the camera I had to hold the front of the lens very firmly indeed to start the filter's screw turning.

In summary, I can thoroughly recommend this polariser.
on 15 April 2011
I was after a 'slim' polarising filter for my 10-22mm wide-angle zoom and this Hoya is superb. It causes no vignetting and is made of a strong impact resistant glass. It also allows more light thorough than some CPL filters so does not make such a hit on your exposure.
on 20 September 2015
Completely changed the way I approach outdoor photography. Note that it knocks about a stop off your exposure, so it isn't the kind of filter to leave on *all* the time. Be careful of the uneven effect it has when shooting wide angle lenses (see pic).
review image
on 9 December 2010
I bought this filter mainly because of good light transmission and anti-scratch resistance. Prior to purchase I was wondering how the plastic screwthread would work on my existing metallic B+W UV filter. It screws on fine and I don't see vignetting when using both together on a Tokina 12-24mm wide angle lens.
Due quite possibly to my ignorance that the following may apply to polarisers more generrally, I was frustrated intially that, having screwed the filter on, I couldn't get it off again. I discovered by chance that if you merely rotate the polariser anti-clockwise, the main thread suddenly frees up.
on 24 April 2010
More expensive than most circular polarisers by quite a margin & I'm guessing it's a Kaesemann type that means it is fully edge sealed & is about 1/2 to 2/3 a stop faster than ordinary ones. The level of anti-reflection, resistance to scratches & marking is reputedly very good.
This polariser has a low profile that makes it suitable for wide angle lenses - I use a 77mm version on a Nikon 16-35mm f4 VR without any additional vignetting as well as a 24-70mm f2.8.
Probably overkill on kit lenses but if you have expensive lenses, don't skimp on filters!
Like all polarisers (especially low profile ones that have less to grip on), care is needed when screwing onto any existing filters such as a UV. Make sure the 1st filter is fairly tight on the lens & that the polariser is only tight enough not to rotate in its thread, alternatively only rotate cw when viewed from the front to save the polariser from unwinding!
on 7 July 2014
It's an excellent polarizing filter, however the width of the screw-in element of the filter is too narrow to grip. It has proven very, very difficult to remove from the lens... It became stuck or joined to a Hoya UV filter. To separate them I thought that I might have to use a vice, when I would have risked shattering or deforming either of them. Fortunately a firmer hand than my own dealt with it. When twisting the polarizing element I must have inadvertently "over tightened" it.

I anticipate this serious issue occuring again, which makes me anxious using it. For such a high spec / expensive filter , it's disappointing to feel this way.
on 1 June 2012
Order delivered promptly (arrived next day). Having already done my homework on Circular Polarising Filters I decided on the Hoya HD Digital PL-CIR.
The filter performs superbly is very very tough, light and has a lens coating that enables grease, finger prints etc. to be cleaned off easily. As careful as we are, we all know how easy it is to get those on there and not so easy to clean off in a hurry. The glass is specially hardned making it much more resistant to breakage than normal optical glass, it is also loses less light most polarising filters. Most polarising filters lose 2 stops but the Hoya HD only loses 1 stop.