Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Apr 2009 01:06:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2009 01:08:12 BDT
How will this book relate to Duffy's earlier publication "The Church of Mary Tudor (Catholic Christendom, 1300-1700)"? I have been waiting for this 2006 book to appear in paperback or as second hand and reduced price under "Market place". It continues to retail at £59 which is beyond my resources. Is this intended to be a contracted publication of the same?

Posted on 22 Apr 2009 10:54:48 BDT
Devon Girl says:
No, I don't think so. It is a different book. Duffy was only one contributor to " The Church of Mary Tudor". He co-edited it with David Loades, whose views are quite different from Duffy's. "The Church of Mary Tudor" is very unlikely to appear as a paperback - it's hardly aimed at the mass market, and its publisher, Ashgate, is an academic publisher with very high-priced books. As far as I am aware they don't publish much , if anything, in paperback. I would buy "Fires of Faith". Duffy is a fine historian and writer and his book looks set to make an important contribution to our understanding of Mary Tudor and her reign, already begun by the new biographies of Mary which came out in the last couple of years.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2009 23:27:26 BDT
Thankyou for this. Have you read the previous publication? Would you recommend spending the money? I have read most of Duffy's work I remember him as a lecturer at Kings London throughout the 70's. It is interesting to read him against Diamurd McCulloch as in Thomas Cranmer
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  21 Apr 2009
Latest post:  23 Apr 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fires of Faith: Catholic England Under Mary Tudor
Fires of Faith: Catholic England Under Mary Tudor by Eamon Duffy (Hardcover - 8 May 2009)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (15)