Format: Hardcover|Change

on 17 June 2015
Ludwig suggests creative activities such as drawing a picture of King Henry, but rests his pedagogy on two central strands, memorising the speech (as before) and having the teacher, or parent, explain what it means to the child (pp.220-229). He then suggests memorising the text in a variety of different ways again, and again, and again. And that's about it.

There are few good books on the same topic, but Winston & Tandy's Beginning Shakespeare 4-11 is a good one, and probably the most user friendly, in terms of explaining what to do, how to do it, and how it works. Alternatively, anything by Jonathan Neelands on Shakespeare will be much more incisive in terms of how Shakespeare is unlocked for young people.
on 10 February 2015
I loved this book in Kindle edition. I bought it for myself (no kids) as a crash course in getting to know some of the best bits of Shakespeare. It fit the bill perfectly.... and even all the tricks about how to remember passages were useful even though I wasn't teaching anyone. A great reminder of how wonderful the bard's language is. It inspired me to go back and read the whole plays.
on 27 August 2013
Bad Bit
This was not what I was expecting - the book itself was poorly produced I think (presuming this is not standard for American Publishing) and the pages were not uniform in size as they had not been properly cut during production in my opinion. I returned the first copy to Amazon on these grounds and was sent another book with exactly the same problem. Don't know...

Good Bit
Although the book was not exactly what I was expecting I really like it!
It is easy to follow and concentrates on the more famous "school curriculum" texts with lots of insight that I was unaware of previously. Consequently it throws new light onto the meaning of some of Shakespeare's most famous speeches and poems - which was just what I needed to decode some of the old English get my son to engage with the plays he is being introduced to at school.

"O, Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?"
In Elizabethan times, the word wherefore meant "why."
So in actual fact Juliet is saying "O, Romeo, Romeo WHY do you have to be named Romeo - and therefore a Montague!"
Who knew?
on 27 May 2015
Absolutely excellent! My 7 and 6 year old have enjoyed learning the first memory passage (from Midsummer's Night Dream) with no dragging their heels. Easy to pick up and dip into; full of advice to make the introduction to Shakespeare easy for your children. As an adult, I've enjoyed it too!
on 8 October 2015
It is a wonderful book. With or without children, it makes you very happy to learn to understand and recite parts of the plays of Shakespeare.
on 31 March 2014
This is a VERY poorly printed book. The paper quality is dreadful. I ordered it as a gift but frankly would not insult anyone by giving it to them. I returned the book.