Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 August 2011
How Parliament Works is a useful handbook for someone with a pre-existing interest or insight into parliament. Many procedures which a person with half an interest in parliament would be aware of such as Prime Minister's questions, committees or different types of bill are set in the wider context of the workings of Westminster.

I'm not sure I agree with Andrew Marr's review that it is "full of dry wit" but there are some good examples of where MPs and Lords have been caught in loopholes or procedures.

I recommend the book as most people will learn something new - but if you're not in any rush to buy it then perhaps wait to see if a new edition comes out which encompasses planned changes to the House of Lords under the coalition. You will see that they regularly print new editions and I suspect that another one is just around the corner.
on 3 April 2015
A fantastic book for anybody that wants to shine a light into the workings of Parliament. It explains in a straight forward fashion the processes and functions that are at work within. My son has walked off with my copy, so it's safe to say that it is as useful to a student as it was to me the just curious.
on 13 January 2016
great book for my studies in decision making in government
on 27 September 2015
A must have for public affairs professionals.
on 27 March 2016
Excellent product, good price.
on 26 March 2016