on 21 January 2005
Wrong. Men don't buy 'these' kind books. We don't need them, it's full of rubbish that helps girls get over a break up.
Well, no that's not the case though is it?
I was generally coping fine with the breakup of my marriage and had a lot of hate type feelings and actually wanted it over. But I still found myself upset and even sad it was ending although I knew it was the best for me especially. I deserved better.
So when I saw Paul on a programme promoting the book I thought I'd give it a go. Heck, what was there to lose?
And I'm glad I got it. Some of the book wasn't relevant to me and you'll probably find the same but other parts were just inspiring and genuinely helped me put some stupidly simple techniques to good use.
I wish I could thank Paul personally. This book helped me pick up those few little pieces and get on with things again.
on 16 December 2003
I would recommend this book to anybody facing heartbreak at the end of a relationship, it doesn't matter if you were in love or not. You can still experience heartbreak and it still hurts. You can still become jealous and obsessive when you ex finds somebody else. This book picks me up whenever I read it, and the exercises really, really do help a lot if you practice them. Thankyou Paul and Hugh.
on 9 September 2006
It distills lots of Paul McKennas pearls of wisdom from many different areas ( self esteem/goal setting etc.) and it works. It really works. Do not lend this book to a friend for a least 6 months after you read it because you will need to dip back in for a bit of moral fortitude whenever you have any dealings with your ex.!

Heal well xx
on 21 February 2003
I found this book extremely easy to read. I was able to relate to it completely. Most importantly, this book helped me to get over a relationship which I had been trying to for nearly five years. It answered a lot of questions and stopped me from being jealous and obsessive. It helped me to change and develop my thought patterns. It also boosted my self confidence and mentally prepared me for my next relationship.
on 1 April 2003
Unlike many books that cover the psychology of relationships, this one is highly readable and packed with useful information about how our minds work in relationships and why we feel the way we do. It then tells you what you can do about a whole range of situations you might find yourself in, offering real advice and practical help. This book is not just for dealing with an ex - it has helped me deal with my parents and a number of awkward relationships at work. A must read - I will be giving this to my children before their first serious relationship, as it will help them avoid a lot of heartache in the first place. Enjoy it!
on 25 September 2003
Definitely the best I came across, it's simple and useful.
And also a possible lifesaver for heartbrokens.
on 19 February 2004
this was and continues to be a lifesaver - ok, not literally, but did put things into perspective very quickly - thank you isnt enough
on 8 August 2007
It is clear from this book that the authors fully understand, and have experienced the pain and anguish of heartbreak, as they describe exactly how it feels to lose someone you love, together with your hopes and dreams for the future.

I found much of the book very hard to read, not because it uses difficult language, or jargon, because it doesn't, or because it's badly written, but because it spelt out many things that I have been so far unwilling to accept, which was probably why I had been unable to get over the situation I was in.

The exercises in the book I am sure are very valid and will work for most people however, I was unable to gain any benefit from these strategies, mainly because I seem to have the attention span of the average goldfish.

I would definitely recommend the book to anyone who is suffering the torture of heartbreak because, even if like me, you are not able to focus on the exercises, it will help you to accept the fact that, Its over, you are the only one suffering in the relationship, and that there is absolutely no way back for you and your ex partner, Paul and Hugh's message is crystal clear, the only way to get your life back is to move on.

The fact that you are looking at this book means you are suffering; I wish you well and hope that you soon find release from the hell of heartbreak.
on 6 July 2006
I think just BUYING this book was a step towards taking control... a positive step that inspires you to continue.. and then, even after the first few chapters I felt I was over the worst!!

I then went on to read "The positive woman" and "He's just not that into you", (or she!) which will hopefully prevent me from making the same mistake again!

We are capable of so much emotionally, we just need someone to show us the way!
on 4 November 2013
Excellent book - though a bit sceptical at first, have found it really interesting and have implemented some of the suggestions.