on 5 October 2012
I rarely write reviews. But this book has really helped me combat my anxiety problems so I will happily share my thoughts on it.

I've had two bouts of severe anxiety in my life. One about 10 years back. And one a few months back. They occur when I have too much stress in my life. I can only take so much and then I start constantly worrying about things, struggle with social events and begin to have panic attacks in scenarios that normally I cope with. If this happens to you, it's horrible, but you can beat it. This book will really help.

I went to the doctors and was diagnosed with anxiety and not depression. The two are similarly treated though. Typically with SSRI's. The idea is these help reduce the symptoms over time enabling you to get back to normal. However they don't fix the problem. To do that you need to understand what is going on when you get anxiety and what you can do about it to lessen its effects. That's exactly what this book does.

The book explains what is happening when you get anxious and why it happens. And more importantly why it keeps happening. When you read about it it all seems so obvious, but you can rarely think that clearly whilst having a panic attack. But knowing what is happening really helps you understand how you can deal with it. The book then covers techniques to take your mind off of the topics causing you anxiety and gives you relaxation techniques you can use to calm yourself. They are simple but I found them very effective. I still use them regularly.

Before this book I was dreading some major social events coming up. A stag do, a wedding, a large company meeting, a management meeting and a martial arts competition. Now I feel calm and collected. I have done the stag do with no problems and I feel fine about the other upcoming events.

The book is very easy reading and well written. It won't take you long to read it. It also covers some other areas like OCD and how you can combat that, but that part doesn't apply to me.

This book has massively helped me get my life back to normal again. Hopefully it will help you too.
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2011
This book was recommended to me by a friend when I told her I was trying to overcome my needle phobia. This book is brilliant! It tells you exactly how the brain works, in an easy to understand way, which in turn explains why we have panic attacks and irrational thoughts - once you know how and why your brain is behaving it then gives you the tools and knowledge to take back control. I would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to take control of any phobia or anxiety - a must read!
on 18 March 2007
This book on mastering anxiety is as easy to follow and as helpful as the ones on depression and addiction by the same authors, both of which I read as part of my counselling course. It's packed full of useful explanations and practical help and I think anyone suffering from any form of anxiety or fear problem would find it invaluable. GPs should give it away to patients; it would save the NHS a fortune. As well as helping anxious people overcome their phobias, panic attacks and PTSD just as surely as their wonderful book on depression lifts people out of black moods and hopelessness, it shows you how to find out if a GP, counsellor or psychotherapist is competent to help you or not. For anyone whose life is made miserable by excess anxiety, this book is worth its weight in gold.
22 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2009
I was recommended this book by a family member as my daughter is struggling with anxiety. It has given me a fantastic insight into what she is going through, as well as some great tecniques to help her overcome her anxiety. It is very easy to follow and full of practical information and tools that can be used by anyone, anywhere at any time. I would recommend this book not only to people suffering with anxiety, panic attacks or PTSD but to anyone who has a friend or family member who is affected by anxiety. It has certainly helped me to help my daughter in controlling her anxiety, and when she is finding it hard I'm sure we will dip back into this wonderful book to refresh our memories and get back on track.
on 7 February 2009
The book was well written and easy to understand. We found it very useful in assisting us to understand and hopefully help our grand daughter who has anorexia
on 22 June 2013
I was sufferring from anxiety and panic attacks following a stress burnout at work, my gp had tried me on various medication but the side effects made my anxiety so much worse so I got the book to try to understand the cause which this book provides. It's simple reading for any non medical person to understand the way the brain/mind/body reacts to fear and provides strategy's for managing panic and not being scared of anxiety. It looks at the human being having daily needs and if these are lacking anywhere it can be the cause of stress and anxiety so makes you look at yourself in a more kinder light and help to fulfil your needs in order to reduce anxiety. This book is good for anyone sufferring from stress, anxiety and panic attacks. It has helped me tremendously to combat panic attacks and to accept anxiety symptoms as nothing that can harm you.
on 24 February 2011
This was recommended at a lecture given to GPS and Practice Nurses. It is a useful and intersting guide to the different areas of the Brain involved in dealing with anxiety etc. It gives clear and logical information on how to deal with this without the input of medication and makes a lot of sense.
on 4 September 2009
If you read one book on anxiety, make it this one. It is written in a really easy to read style, clearly and simply explains what happens when panic attacks strike, and illustrates that anxiety about your anxiety makes it worse! It has some simple and useful suggestions for helping the reader deal with their own type of anxious feeling too.
This book helped me to understand how prevalent and 'normal' anxiety is across society, and helped to reduce my anxiety about dealing with any panic attacks, either for myself or others.
Best of all, it does not patronise with oversimplification, neither does it blind the reader with scientific vocabulary. It is so 'friendly' that it took me just 2 short sessions to read it from cover to cover. I'm keeping it handy for ready reference too!
on 15 September 2013
This book made me understand my anxiety in much more detail and I'm looking forward to trying the techniques.
Good for anyone suffering but also for someone else, as anxiety is often misunderstood. Wasn't cheesy and cliched!
on 30 August 2015
Just finished reading this and found it very insightful and comforting. Being housebound with agoraphobia for over 7 years now after suffering panic attacks and GAD for over 30 years, I have read many self-help books. Maybe its timing and I am ready to take it on board now but this book really struck chords with me (the only other books to have done are the one's by Dr Claire Weekes - my bibles!). I shall be following the exercises and hope for positive change. I fully recommend this.