Format: DVD|Change

on 12 April 2005
I bought this DVD when I and my partner had had only about 10 lessons and had foolishly allowed ourselves to be entered in a Xmas dance competition. We were naturally panicking, but with the help of this DVD we were able to put together a pretty reasonable routine.
You are likely to cover all the moves shown in this DVD in the first six months of any modern jive class, but where the DVD comes in handy is to look at points of technique, especially in slow motion. I find that we still watch the DVD occasionally to try and improve the style of some of our moves because the couple performing on the DVD are SO stylish and accurate in their movements.
All in all a good buy for beginners wanting to speed up their learning (and with room to practise the moves at home :-} ).
on 15 September 2005
This is good both for complete beginners and those who have been doing it a bit. It has the starter moves but i was pleasantly surprise to see intermidiate moves. So even though i bought this to teach my beginner boyfriend I myself found it a useful recap as well as pickinh up a fe new moves!
on 19 November 2005
I am a dancer with more than 10 years experience dancing three nights a week. This is the best learn to dance video I have ever watched. Simple instructions easy to follow and I cant stop watching it
on 2 July 2006
I bought this to use at school to teach 50 kids to jive for our production of Grease. Absolutely fantastic, we managed at least half of the DVD in three weeks. The kids loved it too! I would recommend it to anyone who would love to dance at any level. The soundtrack is great too and I have now bought that as well! Buy it now! You won't regret it , it too much fun!

Make sure you grab a partner.
on 7 February 2010
For Beginners this is an excellent DVD which shows a good selection of moves to learn.
The moves are clearly shown and explained from first principles.
I recommend this DVD for anyone who wants to learn Jive/Ceroc.
on 14 June 2010
This is an excellent DVD with clear and helpful instructions. No prior knowledge is assumed, and the instructors go from square one. The directions are plainly explained, so that novices know exactly what to do. The dancers demonstrate very clearly, and then there is a section of music to practice the different moves. The moves were easy to master, and we progressed very quickly. We felt like pros after a couple of sessions!
on 12 May 2003
I always wanted to learn how to dance and this seems to give me a very good starting point.
The explanations are easy to follow and the dancing itself is fascinating to watch.
H
on 15 March 2010
We have always envied couples who could jive with confidence so about 4 years ago we purchased the "How to Jive" on video tape. We made some progress but soon other factors delayed progress, also the video player packed in. About six month ago we joined a beginners jive class and the instructer recommended the "How to Jive DVD" remembering how good it was we immediately purchased the DVD. What a difference technology makes, the DVD has the same material but it is so easy to review the different routines during practice ensuring you can go over and over it until it sinks in, so much so that we have made good progress, well, we think so!
We would recommendit to any budding Jiver! PS. we are both retired and it's so good at keeping one young.
on 4 August 2013
We'd done some limited Modern Jive before, and not really taken to it, but this DVD makes sense and is very accessible.
Unlike Ballroom Jive, where foot placements are more important, the action in Modern Jive is more at hip/waist level, so this DVD concentrates on these things. Other commentators have pointed out many other positive features (clear explanations, repetition, wide variety of moves).
This DVD aims at the middle ground of the different modern jive styles, so enables people to participate in various modern jive/swing styles and not look out of place.
In each of the eight main sections (indexed as 'sets', and numbered 1-7, then followed by an unnumbered set on 'the routine' and also on air moves) there is some footage of the (three or four) moves in that section, all run together as if on a real dance floor; we'd all be happy to be able to do any of these sections, and section 1 should be attainable at the end of the first real try at it, by the vast majority.
Many folk would aim to eventually be able to do a Drop Kick, a First Jump, a Pretzel, and a Seducer, as these are (arguably) the most eye-catching; and these are attainable with this DVD, a partner, music, and floorspace.
A good way of making best use of this DVD is to go through it (reviewing the nugget-sized presentations of each move) and imagine what you are actually doing, and get a good mental image of that, then try it out - it works! Ideally, it is best to practise with a group of other aspiring (or established) jivers and get some local tuition, to tidy up any wrinkles which others might notice or bad habits we are all prone to get into.
A great buy or an great present to receive.
on 10 January 2013
This absolutely lives up to all the reviews listed. It is simple to understand, looks very impressive without too many different moves for a beginning, but once you build on this, even better!!!!