Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2011
Until I completed this book, I never truly knew how I disabled my life by simply making up excuses as to why I couldn't do something. Tyrese with his open, frank view on his life enabled me to look at my life and see where I was preventing growth, take a step back and positively redirect myself towards being the best that I can be and not be scared of failing.

For a private man he opens up himself selflessly for his readers betterment, just enough to allow us to understand why he wrote this book and to direct us to believe in ourselves and do something positive about increasing what we already have and to not be satisfied with anything less. He holds enough back of himself in the book to hold onto his privacy, but still shows he is human and cares about his fans.

I have and do recommend `How To Get Out Of Your Own Way' to all of my family and friends and indeed strangers and now I am recommending it to you! You don't need to be going through a troubling period in your life to get something out of this book, you simply may be curious, but you will want to alter your life once you have read it.

Once I opened it I found it extremely difficult to put it down! It was very easy to read and the messages were clearly written and defined on each page. It helped me and it WILL help you if you read it and allow it to.

I personally thank you Mr Tyrese Gibson, for without your book I believe my belief and trust in my abilities would have some cracks hidden in them in waiting to expand, as I would have been more prone to finding excuses to block my progression.
on 10 April 2011
Just had to say that this book is one of the best books I have read. Right from the beginning it made you feel that you were being spoken to and touched your core. In places it made your heart stop and you could relate to the deep emotions within the words. It is a book that makes you really stop and think about your own life and were you are and how you got there and where you want to be. It opens up your passion to move on and live your life. So true and real it ripped your outer layers away and left you raw in a state of deep realisation and ready to rebuild your life as the book say Getting out of your own way! Totally brilliant thank you Tyrese for helping so many people in such an honest straight forward heart felt way.
on 20 August 2011
This book makes you get things in perspective and start to analyse your life in all the right areas. I come from a psychological background, and agree that a lot of behaviour is learnt and therefore a lot of our behaviours we learn in childhood. This book also promotes this idea, and emphasises that even subconsciously we can sometimes welcome the wrong people and behaviours into our lives.

I found this to be a brilliant read, especially for Tyrese's first book. I am impressed by how well written it is and how well he conveys his own personal experiences in ways that the reader may identify more with what he is saying. I think every reader is bound to see something that they can identify with, and would therefore recommend to to all!
on 18 July 2011
This is the first book that I have read that looked at the conditions people live in and how to change these standards of living and then keeping them. Tyrese comes from a very hard background which had some similarities to my own. The way that Tyrese talks about the situations in his life and how he consequently dealt with them was insightfully helpful to some of my own life. For those people out there that want to be able to look at things in their life in a different perspective I would highly recommend this book it is helpful, detailed, easy to read through and a great insight to a great man.
on 2 May 2011
As Tyrese, the author said that this is not a book but his life, you can experience his life first. Then, there are so much to learn from every single line you read. It's like Bible you have it with you, you read it again and again, when you need some guidance you just open it. I am grateful to have this book and hopefully more people will buy this in any forms available.
on 17 July 2011
When the delivery came all I did was make a jug of ice tea and get comfortable so I could devote time to reading.
I started reading a little before 8am, and when I got to the last page it was after midnight.
Some of the deeper issues need repeated reading, so the impact of the words could truly sink in. Some parts were unexpectedly very emotional.
Having listened to Tyrese's music for years I gave one of his first CD's another listen, and the words now resonated some of the emotion from the book; the love, the pain, the hurt.
I'm so glad I made the decision to buy the book now, rather than wait for the paperback version, and I've purchased 8 more copies for my brothers and sisters.
Thanks to Tyrese, he didn't have to put all his private personal business out there, but his sacrifice of privacy is a greater reward for sharing his experience with others.
Tyrese is very active on Twitter, and I have followed his inspirational tweets for the past few weeks, now the book is published he is not finished inspiring people. Truly gifted.
I look forward to his next book - Manology - written with Rev Run, and the messages contained therein, and the new album - Open Invitation, coming November 11.
on 25 May 2011
This is a book of enlightenment, a book which is easy to read and enables you to connect with Tyrese's life, You will be reading non stop as it gives you guidance on steps and options you have; A book which reaches out to different groups and will most definately "Make an Impact" Straight talking, Impressive and also a spiritual journey, This book is giving you an insight to a reputable successful Man, whom has a humble personality, Yet allowing you to have a realisation that people are people and You can achieve all also,By just getting out of your own way.

Amazing, Great Book

"A Must Have Book"

Sophia
on 20 September 2013
Great read! Great read! So good I had to say it twice. I bought this book, just off of being familiar with and enjoying this man's music. Before I bought it, I did my research, watching interviews with Tyrese talking about his book and how he had changed his life for the better. From this, I could see his passion and that he had grown a lot more in a spiritual sense. Finding his interviews intriguing helped me finalise my decision of buying his book and I don't regret it at all or have any negative comments to make about it.
Ultimately, if you're looking for ways to begin self improvement, this book is a great way to start, especially for those in relationships, coming out of one or for singles perhaps looking for ways to deal with past relationships. I found it interesting to read from a man's perspective about relationships and how to deal with bad experiences. The guidance and support offered is really good. This book deals with relationships, life experiences and spirituality - becoming closer to God.
I would definitely recommend this, you'll go away learning something.
on 3 July 2014
Absolutely loved this book. Hit an all time low in my life and I'm a big big fan of Tyrese. I have been meaning to read this book for a long time and read it at the best time as I am now more motivated, dedicated and ambitious. I believe in myself more and I would like to thank Tyrese for that. He opens up about his childhood and talks about how he worked his way up to where is now and never gave up. He then goes on to advise and inspire people to do the same and elaborates on each point. He always reminds the reader that they can do whatever they want. Thank you Tyrese. I will forever love you and support you!
on 26 March 2014
I read this book cover to cover and found I knew some of the inspiring info but so e I needed to here again. After writing a book Teenage Kicks about my 7years of life on the streets I found some empathy with Ty's childhood. I have thought about my relationship with god but have not taken it to a church yet but Ty made me think of this. And also I agree count your blessings every day no matter how hard, you are alive...... And ima hustling Ty.

Sian Young