Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 30 August 2012
As other reviewers here I've read quite a bit of science fiction and fantasy, as well as authors like Douglas Adams, Robert Rankin and others of that ilk. Always looking for something new I picked this from the free books for my Kindle, and I now see it's selling at £1.95 at the time of writing this.

For free there was nothing to lose but even having said that I've had some really bad free books for the Kindle so wasn't expecting much. I was very much mistaken. This is one the best books I've read in a long while. It's well written with a complex plot and good characters. It's a fairly long book, which I like, and moves at a good pace with planty going on to keep you interested. Plenty of science (which doesn't bog the plot down if you can't follow it), humour, satire; it's got the lot. Mad as a box of frogs much of the time and something you might expect Mel Brooks to have filmed (Springtime for Hitler?) with amazon female wrestlers, mad Nazi Scientists, armed cows and a clone army. Got to be worth a go I'd say. Much of the Dirk Gently 'fundamental interconnectedness of everything' about it too, so you need to keep your wits about you to follow all of the little details and get the most from the story.

I believe this is the author's first novel, and I look forward to his next effort.
on 12 April 2013
This is without doubt a strange story, totally different from anything I have read before. Like other reviewers I'm a Douglas Adams/Terry Pratchett fan so I would say if you like them and like just a bit of sci-fi you'll like this, even though it is nothing like them. It's well written too, and memorable. I read it months ago, just never got round to writing a review.
on 28 October 2011
This is a fabulously written,funny and endlessly entertaining first novel from Peter Truckel.
The characters are so well crafted and whilst the science sometimes left me realising why my physics "O" level was such a challenge for me, the book is a joy from start to finish. Think Ian Banks meets Mark Helprin,(Winter's Tale) meets John Kennedy O'Toole (Confederacy of Dunces) and you will get some idea of the writing style.
This would make a fab Christmas present so do buy it.
on 14 February 2013
This was a cheap choice that turned out to be a cracking read.

As well as a (bit far fetched) thriller it had sci fi and most importantly humour.

Will not be to everyone's liking but I enjoyed it immensely, more of the brothers I think.
on 8 September 2013
Wonderful book. Started off strangely, went to weird, did a sidestep into bizarre, then made a quantum leap into surreal. One of the funniest and original books I have read for ages! Made me laugh out loud. Although I do take umbrage at his inclusion of the Welsh as one of the races to be annihilated! Hugely recommend this book as an antidote to some of the more cliched and banal books on offer today
on 22 August 2012
I'd give you a synopsis of this book, but it would require 3 thick sticky pads and a wall, half a mile long. Every major character is choreographed in exquisite detail, and every major character is connected to others by a labyrinthine of plot points. The humor is undeniable, usually understated, with the joke set up way before it's triggered later in the book.
For me - and the reason its a 4 star, and not a 5 - is there is a lot of science. Detailed, examined, exhausting, string theory science, pages and pages and pages of it. I paged through it without reading, and I don't think I lost much - or anything - of the story.
To me, I saw connections with 2001 a space odyssey and Spider Robinson - but I suspect other readers will find their own connections.
I recommend the book, its funny with great characters. If you love science, you'll like it more.
on 15 November 2013
...and if they wrote a book....
This book is fantastic. Absolutely first class. Suspend your disbelief and go with the flow. Its fantastically ridiculous without being over-complex and is driven by the most fertile and vivid of imaginations. I really can't speak highly enough. A twisty tale, its basically part quest, part road movie, part thriller, part Bond, part Dr Strangelove and all insane. If it were to be a film, Terry Gilliam would get the nod.
Also, just want to say also that if it wasn't for the Kindle app and its accessible prices I would never have had the opportunity to read this wonderful book and the few other gems I've found. Power to your elbow Amazon.
on 14 March 2016
My wife bought me this as a paperback. Absolutely loved it. Quirky and well written. Was never sure what was next. After the first read I went back and read it again - just because it was so enjoyable. Characters are strong and very individual. Storyline is absorbing. As and when Peter writes another I'll definitely give him another try. Will buy a copy of hydrogen to keep on my kindle. I will revisit this one again when I need a good chuckle.
on 6 October 2012
A sort of Sci-Fi "Pulp Fiction", it rambles a bit, is perhaps a little over long and perhaps requires one to stretch suspension of disbelief a little far, but all in all, this is really an OK read and I don't consider the hours I spend reading it as "lost time".

Certainly there are far worse "paid for" books out there than this!

Hopefully the author will refine their style a little and write more - there's potential here.
on 16 September 2012
Starts off pretty conventional then gets weirder and weirder. Funny, far fetched, but it works for me.
Nazis, ghosts, clones, CIA, FBI, gangsters, giantesses, exploding cows, ballistic scarecrows! and a malicious dwarf, whats not to enjoy.