Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 June 1999
This small book of Francis Thompson's poems is a beautiful experience. "The Hound of Heaven" is the crowning glory of the piece. How often I have found my self running from the "Footsteps" following me. I think the line "All which I took from thee I did but take, Not for thy harms, But just that thou might'st seek it in My arms." is one of the most comforting to those who have lost and suffered. Also very special are Daisy and Little Jesus. Francis Thompson was born before his time a little appreciated then but he is definitely a poet for our moral declining culture. I am fancinated by his love of nature. I would recomend these little poems to anyone who feels lost, afraid, alone and in pain, and to anyone who wants to feel closer to God.
on 18 July 2012
This a shocking edition of The Hound of Heaven. There are no illustrations (though 15 are promised in the list of contents). There is a so-so introduction, giving biographical details of the author, though even this is spoiled by pointless extracts from the poem, usually repeated.

There is virtually no appreciation of the actual poetry (which is what I came for). And the poem itself has been absolutely butchered by the editorial process. Lines are repeated, often in inappropriate places; capitals are missing, gaps are inserted which did not exist in the original; and editorial marks (such as "drop-cap") are left in.

The Hound of Heaven is one of the most fascinating poems in the English language. It repeatedly goes from the sublime to the ridiculous and back again, and throughout is written in a quaint poetic diction which though hard to follow at times is well suited to the subject-matter (the author's lifelong quest to escape the redemptive power of God's love).

This edition is nothing short of a desecration. I don't know what the other reviewer read, but it certainly can't have been this version.
on 15 May 2012
Very beautiful, inspiring, memorable poem, i've been coming back to it for years now, even not being a very religious person. A soul fleeing from God, for fear of being consumed by love, only to finally embrace it when there is nowhere else to run. It's a fairly brief book, about two thirds of it is a short but interesting biography of Francis Thompson, and then the poem. Definitely worth reading.
on 15 February 2013
I first read The Hound of Heaven many years ago and bought this volume for my son. It is a beautiful account of the author's attempts at evading God and of God's dogged persistence in pursuing him, for his own good. I haven't seen this book myself but my son likes it.
on 3 June 2014
One of the most overlooked British Poets. Love his work. It would be better if it was laid out like "proper poetry", not just written with no breaks.
on 31 May 2015
This is a spectacular achievement by Thompson but badly presented as an ebook unfortunately.
on 3 April 2014
the poem is very deep and even it is short i read it every now and then, to understand the meaning behind the words
on 19 March 2015
I love this poem and now, through the magic of Kindle, I can enjoy it anywhere, anytime
on 12 April 2016
One of the best spiritual poems ever written. A must read!
on 13 October 2015
Good commentary helps with the reading of the poem.