Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Dec 2012 10:20:29 GMT
Started this 'diet' after watching the Horizon programme back in August. I've got to say, although the fast days can be challenging at times on the whole I've never felt better - both mentally and physically, and I've lost 20 lb in the process. This is the first 'diet' I have ever been successful at and I now see it as a way of eating that will stay with me for life. Thank you Dr. Mosley!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 15:06:57 GMT
C. Barnes says:
I couldn't agree more. After a couple of months I was 20lbs lighter and felt so much more vital. I also find the regime easy to manage and it's become a natural way to eat. I think the emphasis on weight loss shouldn't be stressed too much though. My reasons for choosing this diet were those stated by Dr Mosley in his Horizon programme; I'm nearly fifty and want to go on being healthy as long as possible and this way of eating reduces the risk of many diseases and makes your mind and body more resilient. Getting down to a healthy weight is fantastic but it's just one aspect of this diet.

Posted on 1 Jan 2013 22:20:25 GMT
I have a quote featured in this book and have had great success with my weight loss. I cannot recommend this lifestyle highly enough. I like food - I eat well and continue to eat well. This is a great starting point for anyone who wants to really makes difference to their life. It does require some will power but after trying WW and slimming world this works for me because its so flexible. You can get embroiled in the science if you want to; hopefully this book and other talking about fasting will lead to decent research council attention and university study to start wider longitudinal tests with humans.

Posted on 2 Jan 2013 14:21:50 GMT
C. J. Rees says:
I missed the Horizon programme but was alerted to it by a friend. I managed to find a YouTube video of it and watched with great interest. I started the diet at the end of October and have so far lost 7 kg at the rate of about 1 kg a week. OH does not need to lose weight but is keeping me company on at least one day a week in order to gain the myriad other health benefits. I was, therefore, keen to order the book but am a bit disappointed that it looks just like every other weight loss book out there what with the tape measure pic around its waist! Do the publishers think that only people who want to lose weight will be interested in the diet? Also this cover pic also implies that it is just a temporary diet to follow until you have lost enough weight not a rest-of-your-life way of eating.

Posted on 2 Jan 2013 16:01:26 GMT
pritz69 says:
I've reserved my copy and hopefully I will be able to lose weight and tone up. I have an issue with food and hopefully this will encourage me to eat well as well as enjoy the other naughty food I like. I lack self discipline. It's taken me a year of training to lose a stone. I'm 47 years old, a vegetarian and now weigh 71 kg. I need to lose at least another 6 to 7 kg by July. I hope this sensible eating and fasting will do the job...... I hope I can come back in July and celebrate my success..... :))

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jan 2013 16:24:39 GMT
alan sowerby says:
Hi, I am thinking f taking up this way f life and wond if you could forward me a link to the Yu Tube video.

Many thanks, Alan

Posted on 2 Jan 2013 16:35:37 GMT
Horizon programme available here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms#.UOOjXKz47XS

Posted on 3 Jan 2013 22:55:19 GMT
readsalot says:
I've been doing this for a few months and lost 14lbs. It is the easiest diet I have ever done and can see myself doing it forever.

Posted on 11 Jan 2013 15:14:14 GMT
Sciborg says:
I have watched the Horizon programme twice and rummaged through the internet. Horizon did not make it clear whether the 2 days should be consecutive or not, but the suggestion that your metabolism would take time to switch from cell division to cell repair mode led me to assume that the days needed to be consecutive.
Moseley's advice on the web is that the fasting days should be non-consecutive. Why? What is the scientific evidence and/or explanation for this? When I know if the book provides some straightforward scientific explanations I'll consider buying it. Have done the 5:2 regime for 3 months losing about 1kg (2 lbs) every 2 weeks - not as much as others but fine by me. It has improved my cholesterol values slightly so I'm encouraged to continue until I can get into the clothes I wore before I retired and hopefully reduce my BP etc.

Posted on 11 Jan 2013 15:16:29 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Jan 2013 16:55:34 GMT]

Posted on 11 Jan 2013 15:17:18 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Jan 2013 16:55:41 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2013 10:20:19 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Jan 2013 11:50:50 GMT]

Posted on 19 Jan 2013 19:42:28 GMT
Bobbo Bear says:
I've been doing this since the Horizon program aired, so its over half a year now of alternate fasting.

This needs to be done for life. It's an excellent, easy way of controlling your food intake. I can still pig out on KFC on my eat days, I can still eat plates of pasta and carbs. I don't need to calorie count or restrict myself to certain types of fad diet food. I eat whatever I fancy. No restrictions, the weight comes off and stays off. I've lost my entire beer gut pot belly and a six pack is slowly showing through.

I do a hardcore version of this, its actually 24h of alternate fasting and eating periods. Basically I'll eat whatever I want for 24 hours, then not eat for the next 24h. I still have dinner every day, but strictly nothing to eat during the 24h fasting period except tea/coffee. I don't cheat by sneaking in a mini meal during the fasting period, that defeats the purpose of fasting.

After a lot of initial scepticism, my girlfriend has taken up a less hardcore version of this lifestyle in the last few months too and she swears by it now. She is slim and looks great and neither of us really need to worry about our weight anymore. She fasts about 2-3 days a week.

Good luck to anyone trying this eating regime out. The first 2 weeks are hard but it gets much easier after that.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2013 19:51:52 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Jan 2013 19:52:25 GMT]

Posted on 20 Jan 2013 07:41:21 GMT
I'm interested in the science (Chapter 2) behind the claims of Intermittent Fasting (IF) to possibly - increase longevity, repair genes, reduce likelyhood of dementia, improve insulin sensitivity and cut cancer risk. NHS Choices in their 14 January 2013 review: "Does the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet work?", is sceptical of these claims.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 00:23:38 GMT
I'm astonished to find that my review (not even having bought the book! :) ) has garnered 93 Yes / No's in only 2 days. In specific response to Sciborg's question, it doesn't seem to matter whether it's single or consecutive days. I did my own research on the net & definite opinion was inconclusive i.e. if the question was actually addressed, some said one day, some said two. When I was experimenting at the end of 2012, I was doing 2 together (Sun & Mon) and it worked fine. Because I started 2013 aggressively on a 4:3 pattern, I was deliberately NOT doing 2 consecutive. This has also worked fine.

In short, I'd say experiment & see what suits you best. Some of the others here find the fast day a little challenging. If that's the case, 2 consecutive probably won't work for you. If a single fast day is easy, 2C probably will be too. The most important thing is how will Fast days fit into your week? Full ADF wouldn't for me, because Alternate Days on a 7 day week means a Fast day one week is a Feast day next... But a regular Sun / Tue / Thu worked fine. As I'm now dropping to 5:2 I can do Sat / Mon (this week), I could do Sun / Tue, I could do Sun / Mon, because any of them will fit comfortably with the pattern of my activity & working week. Ultimately, you can only experiment & see what works best for you.

Most important thing, though - Remember! Weight loss is only a side effect of this "diet". It's primary purpose is extending health & life. I'm quite happy to suffer from the side-effects too, though! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jan 2013 00:40:40 GMT
Full on ADF is not for me. If it works for you, great. However, I have to say I think you're slightly over-emphatic about some aspects of the concept. You don't "need" to... anything. As long as you continue to follow some version of the plan, you will benefit. Michael Moseley has himself dropped to a 6:1 variant. In the absence of scientific evidence, it's impossible to say what might be best, even ignoring the fact that different physiological types could likely show different responses.

Full ADF certainly is "hardcore", I'll give you that! :) I've done 4:3 for 2-3 weeks; the whole ADF thing doesn't work across weeks for me, whereas 4:3 does because I always Fast / Feast on the same days EACH week. But, again, I think you're being a bit extreme on your Fast days. If it works for you, terrific; but my own experience says you don't have to go that far. There is absolutely no question of "sneaking in", "cheating", or "defeating the purpose". It is quite clearly explained: in the context of this diet, fasting absolutely does NOT mean not eating; it simply means cutting your protein intake right down, and cutting your calorie intake to 25% RDA (which I consider much less important of the two).

As I say, if your variation works for you, great & congratulations. I just wouldn't want everyone reading your post to think they *must* practice such stringent self-denial when... frankly, it isn't necessary. The most important thing is that this is an easy diet to follow BECAUSE you don't have to do it day after day, which grinds most people down. You only have to do it for one day at a time. Just one day. Today you largely abstain. Tomorrow you can eat pretty much anything you want. Who can't practice abstinence for one day, eh? ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2013 17:27:28 GMT
One of the reasons NHS were sceptical was because, as they themselves admitted, they had only done a superficial review of the literature. They missed out many of the relevant studies, including the most recent. Pity they didn't buy The Fast Diet, the scientific refs are all there

Posted on 31 Jan 2013 21:48:28 GMT
not very zen says:
NHS Choices has to stick with orthodox research. At present, good quality evidence for the various claims of IF's potential is not available, nor is there proof that harm may not be done.

Meanwhile, I hope that UK biobank or some university will pick up on the numbers currently attempting this lifestyle, and follow people up at later dates. Granted we're a self-selecting group, but the NHS needs more information about successful interventions for weight loss and other health goals.

Posted on 4 Feb 2013 10:33:23 GMT
Rusty Dee says:
Anyone know if there are any online self help groups following the Fast Diet 5:2 ?
Thought it might be useful for fast day meals, tips and updates how were feeling & doing :)

Posted on 26 Feb 2013 22:10:07 GMT
Linda Gruchy says:
Dee, yes there are.

Posted on 8 Mar 2013 01:13:11 GMT
B. Maver says:
So far I've lost 4 lbs in four weeks. So far so good you might think but i lost it all in the first few days. I put on some after that and lost some of it again.
If I get my fat percentage down and water percentage up I'll be happier but I am a bit disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Mar 2013 22:33:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Mar 2013 23:13:55 GMT
Rusty Dee says:
I'm not sure how much weight I have lost in the four weeks I have now been on this Fast Diet, (MY SCALES ARE PLAYING UP) But have gone down a jean size :) so its working.
I feel fine and looking to contine my Monday & Thursday Fast days.
Soon as I reach my goal weight, which will be around mid summer I hope, then I will go to one day fasting :)
Highly recommend this book, and new way of eating ..

Posted on 18 Jun 2013 16:02:59 BDT
D. Church says:
I am just starting on this diet after my husband has been so successful with it since he started it immediately after watching the Horizon programme in September. Since then he has lost over 3 stone and that's with almost the whole of May coming off the diet, just with an odd day fasting but he is still losing weight. He says he simply does not think about food on the fasting days and when he is on an eating day he has been less likely to binge. So here I go, and I am going to kick it off as he did with a four day fast, only into day 2 but feeling very positive about it. Will probably buy the book now.

Posted on 12 Aug 2013 18:29:35 BDT
slimmer gran says:
I also started this 'new pattern of eating' (not a diet) ,after watching the Horizon program and also reading any information on-line. I was overweight and had high cholesterol and Blood pressure and my recent review with my GP has shown that both of these are closer to normal levels. I have also lost more than a stone in weight. This is the longest I have ever managed to follow a better eating program, mainly because I dislike most fruit and veg and diets rely on these. I cook our main meals with very close attention to the calorie content and we have even enjoyed a chicken curry and rice for about 3oo kcals. Anyone can choose their favourite foods and modify it ,portion size ,or cooking method, to make it work.
I hope they will make some follow up programs to show how effective and easy it has been for a lot of people to follow and improve their own health. Surely a good use of funding knowing how vital it is to reduce obesity and typeII diabetes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  21
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  20 Dec 2012
Latest post:  12 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer by Dr Michael Mosley (Paperback - 10 Jan. 2013)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (3,559)