on 4 October 2012
I loved this when I read it, and would have given it 5 stars. BUT, now I am reading The Girl You Left Behind and there are inconsistencies which are really irritating me - dates and places. Like in The Girl You Left Behind the honeymoon is in Barcelona, not Paris.....infuriating! And it is 2006 and the honeymoon was "nearly a decade ago" but in this novella it is 2002. Why oh why didn't the editors notice?
on 30 August 2012
After reading Honeymoon I am dying to read the full story of Liv and Sophie. Jojo is so good at getting her readers hooked on the characters. I discovered Jojo with Me Before You and I can't wait to read her next novel.
on 28 August 2012
There are really three love stories at play in the novella - Sophie's, set before WW1, Liv's present day honeymoon, and uniting them both the author's clear love for that most romantic of settings - Paris. The descriptions of the architecture, the pavement cafes, and the food will make you want to book a one-way ticket. I read this in one sitting, and fell head over heels for the characters and the city. A gloriously romantic 'amuse-bouche' before the main event, 'The Girl You Left Behind'. Can't wait.
on 10 December 2012
Original Review on my blog [...]
Honeymoon In Paris takes places several years before the events to come in The Girl You Left Behind when both couples have just married. Sophie, a provincial girl, is swept up in the glamour of Belle Poque Paris but discovers that loving a feted artist like Edouard brings undreamt of complications.

Following in Sophie's footsteps a hundred years later, Liv, after a whirl wind romance, finds her Parisian honeymoon is not quite the romantic getaway she had been hoping for...

This was a fab short story of 2 women who are both on their honeymoon's, one in the first world war and the other nearly a century later...This is a perfect prequel before starting on The Girl You Left Behind..it will warm you up to the characters Sophie,Edouard,Liv and David. You will more than likely cry so be ready and have some tissues hehe!

I did wish this could of been a little bit longer but it was good to get some background information on all the characters before I started The Girl You Left Behind. It did leave me rushing to find TGYLB very quickly so I could jump back into their lives once again.

The only shame with this story, is it is only on e-read but I would recommend any one to get The Girl You Left Behind and even try and grab a copy of this you will soon warm up more to the characters a lot easily.
on 28 August 2012
This book had me hooked from the off! The characters draw you in to their worlds immediately and you live their lives with them!! I read it in a day (despite 2 children and 2 dogs under my feet) and pre-ordered the full novel as soon as I was done.
Highly recommended
on 24 November 2012
Having just finished the "Girl You Left Behind", I thought I'd read the "prologue novella".... Disappointed that the facts don't match... Liv & David's honeymoon was in Barcelona in GYLB, but Paris in this.... & didn't feel that there was much of a story!!
on 20 July 2014
This prequel offers the backstory for JoJo Moyes' epic wartime romance THE GIRL YOU LEFT BEHIND and does offer some inconsistencies regarding the timeline that other reviewers have already flagged up. That said, I didn't find any of them really impinged on the actual storyline and found myself engaging, surprisingly, with present day protagonist Liv most here. I say "surprisingly" because I found her somewhat insipid in the main novel, yet here I could relate to her hopes and dreams and ultimately, disappointment when her honeymoon does not live up to expectations. I loved the way Moyes draws Liv as a woman-child; full of promise, yet ultimately naive. I was married "young" by society's standards too and I can remember all those thoughts, drawn from a variety of fairy tales, that could never possibly measure up: which way could it go from here? The answer is obvious: up or down - and yet despite their less than auspicious start, Liv and David go up (only to have it snatched from them anyway in the events of the main novel, of course). This time, Moyes mirrors both Liv's and Sophie's plights, for like Liv, Sophie almost sabotages her own chances of happiness with Eduoard as she allows another to drip poison in her ear. Whilst the resolution of both storylines feels a little neat, this novella is a satisfying read in which there CAN be happy endings that don't drip with sentimentality, but remind us (without preaching) that we must work at relationships if we want them to succeed.
on 1 March 2013
I read The Girl you Left Behind and thoroughly enjoyed it especially Sophie's story so I when I saw that this was their stories prior to that book I was keen to read it. I found it very disappointing and didn't really even like the characters in Honeymoon in Paris especially Liv who seemed completely different from the person in The Girl You Left Behind, very sulky and selfish. I am so glad now that I didn't read this first as I probably would not have read The Girl You Left Behind and missed out on a fabulous read.
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2014
I read this novella after, rather than before, The Girl You Left Behind, but I enjoyed filling in the back-story, even if it seemed to be reading in reverse. Having said that, I'm not a great fan of short prequels, I'm not sure quite where they sit in the financial world of book sales. It seems to me that the content could often be included in the book and that the extra price is just a racket. Although I really enjoyed Honeymoon in Paris, it's not getting 5 stars because at 1.99 for 75 pages, when compared with 3.66 for 548 pages, it's not value for money.

The two lead ladies from The Girl You Left Behind, Sophie and Liv, are newly-weds in this episode. The men, who are largely absent in the main book are now alongside them as both couples spend their honeymoons in Paris, but 80 years apart. These new marriages are having teething troubles, as Sophie's husband introduces her to his Paris circle and Liv's husband attempts to mix work and play. Knowing the female characters as I do from the next book, I enjoyed meeting their husbands for the first time.

Strangely enough, I would actually recommend reading this after, rather than before, The Girl You Left Behind, but perhaps I'm biased. Unfortunately, as a stand alone novella I think it might be a bit weak.
on 3 December 2012
Good easy read. I liked the split in time and the way the two stories were linked. Won't challenge you but will pass the time nicely on a commute