Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.99

on 28 May 2000
This novel is definately one of her best. I read it in 3 days on holiday and found myself thinking constantly of the characters in the book. There are various story lines in the novel, all cleverly linking up in the end. Hollywood Wives is a fast paced novel which is very easy to get into with the usual erotic excitement. It is a real page turning, you find yourself praying the character will end up alright. Will she go back to him, why did he do what he did, will she find out, the list goes on. You will find yourself deeply involved in the storyline and constantly thinking about it. You will not be able to think about anything else until you have finished it, and even then thoughts will keep popping into your head.
I would also recommend Lovers and Gambles, another brillient novel by Jackie Collins
on 22 June 2015
It's Hollywood. For Elaine Conti, with friends like hers, who needs enemies? Being wife to the movie legend, actor Ross Conti, is all that gives her any clout in this town. The trouble is, Ross' days on the screen are, in effect, over.
Regularly dining at the most expensive, must be seen at restaurants, Elaine and her two best 'friends', Karen and Maralee, gossip, bitch and generally pamper themselves within an inch of their lives. But Elaine's finances are slowly dwindling and the only way to boost the bank balance is to revive Ross' career.
Ross Conti is on the verge of the big 'Five-O' and not happy about it. Having not worked for several years and the last time he saw one of his movies was as a re-run on TV, his career prospects don't look particularly illustrious. What he needs is a decent vehicle to get him back on top again.
As for his marriage to Elaine. Why does she have to nag so much? Spend his money like it's going out of fashion? Always criticising his spreading midriff. And just because she's gone off sex, doesn't mean he has.
Buddy Hudson. In his mid-twenties, stunningly good looking, arrogant, newly-wed and aspiring actor with a highly peppered past will do anything to get into the movies (almost).
He ran away from home is his teens and headed for the bright lights of Hollywood. Desperate for money he became involved in various dubious dealings he'd prefer remained in the closet.
In a town where it's shallow residents only care about how good your last film was, or how many A-listers will be attending your next soiree, it's not what you know but who you know that counts.
HOLLYWOOD WIVES is a melting pot of many flamboyant characters that all have one thing in common - their only concern is for themselves.

This was my first Jackie Collins novel and I have to admit, I'd always dismissed her as a 'fluff' writer. How wrong I was.
Collins grabs you by the throat from the very first brutal, shocking scene.
The first quarter of the book involves introducing and developing the considerable amount of central characters. And what 'juicy' characters they are. She tells you of the uber rich lives of Hollywood film stars and their wives, to the almost destitute lives of aspiring actors and what they have to do to make ends meet. Each in their own way, makes for great reading, whether you like them or not. Even the periphery characters I found to be very alluring and hoped they'd have more involvement in the plot.
Whilst reading the character traits I couldn't help but think, this person reminds me of someone famous but I can't quite think who...certainly many famous names are dropped into the story.
Collins has the ability to switch from writing with humour on one page, to the convincing thoughts of a psychopath on another. She conveys the inner opinions of both male and female characters with sharp individualism that makes each of their actions totally credible. I felt as if I was inside their heads with them.
The aspect of this novel that had me firmly in its grasps was that Collins draws upon people she knows and her own experiences. I was left thinking, sometimes these characters seem unbelievable to me, but Collins states there are many people in the Hollywood community, which most of us will never meet, that really do lead lives described within her books. She's said that her characters are toned down versions of people she's encountered and that in reality their behaviours far more outrageous.
HOLLYWOOD WIVES was an extremely entertaining read, containing a bit of something for everyone.
The plot moves fast and is relentless. It's a very hard book to put down.
I'd recommend this novel to anyone who has an interest into the lurid lives of Hollywood's rich and famous, written by someone who's on the inside, looking out.
About the best book Jackie C has ever written. This will always be her classic masterpiece, her epitaph even. The plot is so clever it makes you think you're part of it, even though you don't know, until the very last minute, WHO the baddie is! Fast-paced and thrilling, you're left wondering at times what your own life lacks!!
WARNING: Forget drugs, this book's a better hit!
on 10 November 2015
I am mortified to admit I bought this after she died because I could not believe how many books she had shifted. I had never even picked up one of her books before, what a snob !
I had to have a look to see what the fuss was about . Boy, am I glad I did ! What a corker !
This book is absolutely hilarious, a little dated but I couldn't put it down. Immediately gave it to my daughter in law. Total hoot, read this and forget pretentious tosh, this is really effective writing from a woman with her finger on the pulse of what people are like and what they want to read about even if they don't admit it afterwards .
on 20 September 2015
I had been meaning to read a Jackie Collins book for a while and after seeing her on television recently I explored Amazon and bought this book as the reviews said it was one of her best.

And how right they were! Exciting, scandalous, funny, saucy and utterly captivating... I just couldn't put it down.

Unfortunately the day I finished the book was the day Jackie's death was announced. But my Jackie Journey has now begun! I can't wait to start the next one!
on 16 May 2005
Possibly the best novel Collins has written. Very funny, fast moving and great characters.
Really, this is a great book. If you only ever read one Jackie Collins, this is the one you should read.
on 3 May 2012
I read this book with some apprehension as I have never read a book of this genre and certainly not one by Jackie Collins. I didn't really know what to expect but thought it would all be gushy stuff like all that Mills & Boon rubbish my mum used to read when I was a kid. However, I wanted to broaden my horizons on the literature front and so thought I'd give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't all gush, there was a very dark undertone to it. It was vary interesting to read the way Jackie Collins had interwoven all the glitz, glamour and the "don't you know who my husband is!" attitude of the Hollywood wives who live off their husband's fame and fortune, with the dark, world of the psychotic serial killer. I found myself really quite engrossed in it and enjoying the read. I shall certainly be reading the sequel (Hollywood Husbands) in the not-too-distant future. In the introduction to this book, Jackie Collins seemed to be saying that some of the characters in this book are based on people she knows in Hollywood; their attitudes towards others, their greed and desire for the limelight.

A note on the Kindle version; great formatting, easy to read, no proplems with typos etc. Recommended.
on 1 October 2015
Just love this book, I read it when it first was published, but still great to relax with and live the life! I know its so called easy read but I still love it and all the weird and wonderful characters! Great to chill out with. Lissa
on 15 July 2012
After reading '50 Shades of Grey', which is possibly one of the worst books I have ever read, I had a craving to re-visit the books of my teenage years. I started with 'Valley of the Dolls' and then moved onto 'Hollywood Wives'. These books have more fun, wit and irony than the pretentious 50 Shades which takes itself so seriously. Give me a good old fashioned bonk-buster in the style of Jackie Collins or Jilly Cooper any day! They are fun all the way, do not take themselves seriously or try to be something they are not. Jackie Collins certainly knows how to write a novel with a fast moving pace. I enjoyed reading it again so much it made me long to be back in the 80s.
on 26 May 2014
As usual another good read from Jackie! She always keeps you guessing and makes all characters so different and interesting. However, you need to really remember the story line as she does jump from one to another. But this is her way of writing and I love it. For all her fans out there you will not be disappointed.