Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2001
As I am a Danielle Steel fan I picked up this book and at first did not realise it was the life of her son Nick Trainer.This book touched my soul like no other book ever would. My husband was a manic depressive and in 1996 he was diaganosed with the illness. I had always beleived my husband was just a lively and unpredictable man with severe mood swings which caused my life to be very disturbing, but even so I loved my husband very much and rode along with him with whatever he brought into our life.I can relate with Danielle Steels life living with her son and this book many times brought tears to my eyes. Sadly my husband refused to believe he was ill and by not taking his medication became a different person. In 1996 after 17 years of marriage I left him and blamed myself.As Danielle Steel felt helpless so did I.When you live with a depressed person and they are quiet you can cope,but when they are manic and not aware of their actions you are incapable of helping them and at times living with them. The book described a manic depressive very accurately and I could relate to this completely. Sadly my husband took his life in 1998 he was only 40. When I started to read this book and look back on my years since I was 15 with my husband I realised that he had probably always been a manic depressive like Nick Trainer, but everyone just thought what a wacky person and a great laugh he was.Many times since I have thought"If Only" but I know now this illness was out of my power to control it. I have heard since that Manic Depressives are now monitered with their medication and called back for blood test to monitor their medication and it can be proven if they are not taking it, this in itself will hopefully save lives from being taken before their time. Danielle Steels book make me understand this illness better, I just wish that the mental health team had given me the insight and help to deal with it. Many things in her book made me think of my husband and say "thats him"The saddest thing is Manic Depressives deep down know that they are ill but will not acknowledge it and that is where it all falls apart. I could write a book on my life but I feel by reading Nick!s life that it has already been done for me. Danielle Steel must have found this book hard to write but for anybody who has experienced this illness it would help them understand that " they know not what they do"
on 14 September 2004
I bought this book a couple of weeks ago and I read it in one sitting. I now feel I understand a lot more about Manic Depression than ever before. My father has suffered from this illness since his teens and so many times he has been accused of being a timewaster and being misunderstood by family and friends and the medical profession. I absolutely loved this book and I wish to thank Danielle for sharing this book with us all.It must have been so hard for her to write but I am glad she has done. Everyone should give this one a read!
on 1 April 2002
As with all Danielle Steel books I was hooked from the first few words. How this women can have lived through those harrowing years and come out the other side, as she has done, is an inspiration to us all. This book gives a valuable insight into Manic Depression/Bipolar Disease that I otherwise would never have had. My thoughts are with any other family who has to live through the same trauma's and anxietes that Danielle and her family did. God Bless them all.
on 6 August 2001
What an absolutely amazing woman DS is. I read this book in a couple of hours without stopping with abundant tears and smiles. I did not know anything about bipolar disease before reading this book and now feel as though i know Nick Traina first hand. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves Danielle Steel novels or anyone who has an interest in bipolar disease or manic depression. Again Danielle Steel has not disappointed as i am sure she will not in further novels to be written.
on 23 April 2000
This is one of the best books of D.S's I have ever read. Written straight from the heart of a mothers love for her son. It will make you question everything we do with our children and to appreciate them for what they are and who they are. I thought this book was brilliant and had me in tears nearly all the way through. She is truly a wonderful woman
on 27 July 2003
I couldn't put it down. This must be one ot the best I have read and knowing the precesses that Danielle and her family went through made me admire her even more. They are such a star family and to be able to tell it in such a loving way to the rest of th world, must have taken a lot of courage.
A Fantastic read.
on 3 October 2011
I am a fairly recent convert to Danielle Steele books and saw His Bright Light advertised in the back of the last one of her books that I read. I was intrigued by the fact that Danielle who is massively known for her fiction writing had written something biographical about her family and my interest was peeked enough to read the book.

His Bright Light tells the story of Danielle Steeles son Nick Traina who tragically died at the age of 19 after battling all of his life against manic depression. Danielle tells us the story of Nick's life who from birth was an exceptionally intelligent, perceptive, advanced and humorous boy but by the time he reached his early teens was caught in the dark grips of manic depression. Danielle spares no detail as she recounts the family's battle to get Nick's problems taken seriously by the medical profession in order that he could live as normal life as possible, and the massive impact Nick had on his family and the people that worked with him to help him battle his demons.

Not only is this book a huge tribute to Nick and the amazing and loving person that he was but I think something like this really does bring awareness to mental health issues that are sometimes all too quickly dismissed by society through a lack of understanding. The letters and journal entries that Danielle includes in the book really do help us to see not only how awful an illness like this can be and how they can affect a person but also give us a massive insight into Nick's incredible mind. There are also a lot of lovely family photos included in the book, Nick really was an extremely handsome young man.

This book is extremely inspirational, despite his illness Nick achieved so much in his short life through his love and drive for his music career despite the terrible illness. It made me sad that Nick's life was cut short and the illness became bigger than him as it is such a waste of an incredible person but the lessons learnt by his family and the medical profession will I am sure contribute towards saving or improving the lives of other people affected by mental health issues which will be a true legacy to leave behind.
on 27 February 2005
You MUST have tissues by you to read this book, I cried page after page, however it is compelling and is for sure a must read.
on 21 December 2003
This book is an emotional journey and exploration of manic depression and living with it. A must for people interested in mental health, it gives a personal view on the disorder.
Be prepared to cry, you feel like you knew this young man by the end of the book.
on 30 November 2000
The story of Nick Traina`s life is a real tragedy his mother Danielle is so devoted to Nick she gives an incite as to how frantic it was trying to get the help that Nick really needed.She seemed to be coming up against brick walls or at least proffesional people who would not commit to a diagnoses of Nick`s illness. Through this book you learn more about manic depression and through Nicks journals which were only read when he was dead you hear how troubled his mind really was. An incredible account of a complete waiste of a tallented life living with demons as Nick did for his very short nineteen years,as a mother myself my heart go`s out to the family all they have left of him now is treasured memorys of Nick. I wish I could have met him there seemed to be a presence around his character and this radiated throught the book,A real tragedy.