on 5 May 2015
It was insanity. It was perfect. Perfect insanity. AWWW!! I found this story to be as enjoyable - actually even more so - than the first books in this series which surprised me! I didn't think that this series could have the same great kind of stories as the ones that told of the 4 princes & their brides, but I liked that the differences in Bron & Aeron's marriage tale gave a whole new breath of fresh air into the familiar Breeding Ceremony and what comes next. “Let this be the year. He’d made his offering. He lived a good life.” And oh boy! There is a LOT that follows!! I liked that this didn't focus so much on stubborn & unruly brides, but that it did focus on a more softer side. I did cry a lot more reading this one story than I did in the previous four combined! Poor Aeron! “This was not safe or routine. These men represented chaos and danger.” After learning about her history and getting an understanding of her people's lifespan I just wanted to hug her! I loved how her & Bron were able to...HA! No way! I'm not gonna ruin all of the magic for you! Suffice it to say that Michelle has given new life to this series, making it a little more tender, giving more info on the Worlds, the species and their way of life. Where the Princes’ stories (books 1-4) focused more on the couple, well lack of actually, this story gave more insight into the way of life for the Lords and their people as well as more outside of “Castle” life. More “Family” life. I enjoyed that a lot! Of course, that is not to say that everything was perfect from the start! "Patience. He needed patience. And an ungodly amount of luck." "They can be overbearing and impossible at times. They will spin you in circles with their ways until you want to hit them over the head with the nearest rock. I can relate." “Bron has his appeal, as well,” Aeron said, “when he’s not speaking to me as if I am to be ordered about like a servant." "She wasn’t going to spend the rest of her short life being dismissed and treated like a servant." (I think that those quotes say it all! Gotta love Michelle! I know I do!) Once again Michelle has mesmerized me with a funny, touching, sexy, beautifully written romantic tale! I have had the pleasure of reading quite a few of her books and have yet to find one that is NOT a fantastic & entertaining read! I love that this is now the 6th book that I have read about the Draig people and there is STILL more stories to be discovered! Yes, some of them are already written, but I have it on good authority that the Draig & Var muse(s) keep on providing, okay, pestering, Michelle with even more secrets to be discovered! And didn't King Llyr say that in a few years there would be a record number of bachelors attending the Breeding Ceremonies?!? Hmmm...maybe those muses are reaching out to us readers in hopes that we can help persuade Michelle to keep on writing these amazing stories?! No wonder Michelle is a USA TODAY BEST-SELLING AUTHOR AND A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER TOO! Either way, we all know that Michelle is truly a very gifted author with a phenomenal abundance of talent and ANY story she writes will be one well worth the read time & again!
on 23 March 2015
Aeron works as a communications analyst for the Federation and picks up a message that the Tyoe, a hostile alien race, are going to attack the Draig and take the planets rich minerals and ore, which is used to fuel ships. She asks her sister to help to get to this planet. Her sister, Ri is a gambler and itinerant traveller. They are the only known survivors of a planet which was destroyed by a war ship weapons test, which by a twist of fate also killed those of the war ship.

Aeron reports the transmission to her boss and tell her that the Draig planet is not in the federation and therefore no concern of theirs. She cannot except that with what happened her own planet. Ri forges them paperwork and gets them out of the area on the Galaxy Brides ship.

High Duke Bron sees Aeron, his crystal glows and he takes her back to the tent. All she wants to do is talk to the king, but Aeron knows if she removes Bron's mask she is considered married to him, she ask him if he can remove the mask without her being married to him but he tricks her when he says yes. She is drunk and ready to have sex, which goes against the rules of the ceremony and has dire personal consequences for her.

No spoilers about the rest of the story. A great read and very detailed plot, I loved the interaction between Aeron and Ri (reminded me of my sister and I!!) Great camaraderies between the princes and their cousins. I love the overlapping stories as you see things from other perspectives. I thought it did end a bit suddenly but didn't take away from a generally very well crafted story.
on 31 January 2015
I received a copy of His Highness the Duke, book 5 of Dragon Lords, in exchange for my review.

Aeron Grey is one of the only survivors of her planet's destruction, the other being her sister Riona. Having overheard plans to destroy the Qurixilian people, Aeron goes against the orders of the Federation, her employers, and sets out to warn them. But having lived on the straight and narrow, Aeron knows nothing of stealthy missions and leaves the organisation to her larger than life sister. Riona's plan involves signing up to Galaxy Brides, meaning that Aeron meets Bron, the High Duke and fifth inline to the throne, and the dragon shifter that is convinced that she is his and he is hers...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

His Highness the Duke was different from the previous four books in the series, and not just because of the shift in setting and characters. There was a completely different tone to the book than the others, mostly because of Aeron and Bron's relationship, but also to do with the ultimate threat.

The threat is different from those faced by Bron's cousins, whereas the focus for them was on the Var, the focus for Bron and his brothers was on the Tyoe, but more than that, the threat was actually kind of in the background of this story,being set up to be resolved in future books. I didn't mind this, but it could be annoying for some readers due to it not being resolved in the book itself.

There was an interesting side conflict going on as well, mainly that Bron and Aeron got a little carried away on their wedding night and actually had sex (which breaks tradition). This caused Bron to panic a lot about breaking tradition which wasn't good as far as he was concerned, and Aeron to worry because her race of people started dying once they had sex. Because it was the fifth book in the series, and life spans had already been brought up previously, I didn't actually feel too worried about this thought if I'm honest, which was a bit strange!

Aeron and Bron's relationship stabalised a lot quicker than the Princes' did. They had a connection and a physical attraction from the start and there wasn't so much tension caused by hiding the truth as the Princes' had. This led to their issues coming in other places, but I found that they worked together on an emotional level easily and could talk it out.

I liked Aeron, she was a strong woman that had no problem with being exactly that; a woman. She could enjoy being physically more fragile than a man but at the same time didn't want to be treated as intellectully or emotionally inferior. It really endeared her to me.

His Highness the Duke counts towards Winter COYER
on 17 January 2012
I haven't read many of Miss Pillow's books but I expected rather more from this particular one.

The story is based around the Dragon Lords' search for brides during their Breeding Festival. In His Highness The Duke, Bron has been waiting seven long years for his fated bride to appear...finally. Enter Aeron - orphaned at the age of 16, she is alone except for her fiery, unpredictable sister Riona - a communications expert for "The Federation." Aeron has intercepted a potentially devastating message that implies the planet Qurilixen is under threat of annihilation and embarks on a quest to prevent this from happening.

So far so good - Bron and Aeron are great characters and easy to like despite their quirks and foibles that only go to make them seem more realistic - however the story's main plot line fizzles out and I felt that the end was lacking.

Overall an enjoyable novel once you ignore the (few spelling) errors but I am left wondering if, perhaps, Miss Pillow's subsequent books may sort the 'problem' of the What happens to the Qurilixians and are they attacked?
on 23 June 2015
His Highness The Duke is the fifth book in The Dragon Lords series by Michelle M. Pillow. It tells us the story of High Duke of Draig, Lord Bron and Aeron Grey, civilian analyst for the federation.

Aeron intercepts a communication about the impeding genocide of the Qurilixian people. Unable to get anyone to do anything about the information she decides to get help from her sister and signs up to be a bride in hopes of saving lives. Bron is on his 7th attempt at a marriage ceremony and does not believe that he will ever find his bride. Due to not paying attention he almost doesn't.

I enjoyed this book. I love the humor, the intrigue and the romance. I liked how different the Duke is from the Princes. It's funny how the Duke almost screws up his chances of a bride. Aeron is feisty, brave, strong and stubborn. The book is very well written and a must read for all paranormal readers.

I highly recommend this series. It's a really good read.

Dragon Lords Series (in reading order)......
1. Barbarian Prince
9. The Dragon's Queen

Received ARC copy
L.
on 11 March 2013
This book was better that the stories of the princes and their brides. it started well and although i got confused towards the end, it was still better. a bit repetitive at the beginning but that was the first chapter. not enough fire but it was ok.
on 3 December 2013
I love this series because all of the women are strong and independent. They fight for their morals and don't just give it up at the first kiss. Not to mention the strong guy, with a secret sensitive side.
on 8 February 2013
this series you will not want to put these books down.I would give this whole series 100 stars please can we have now
on 25 June 2013
Having read all of the previous Dragon Lords series, and having much enjoyed them, I was a little disappointed with this next installation. The main plot was underdeveloped and the two characters at the heart of the story, not terribly interesting. The ending felt rushed. I'm hoping for better with the next one.