- Hardcover: 584 pages
- Publisher: CRC Press; 5 edition (29 Nov. 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 144415432X
- ISBN-13: 978-1444154320
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 19.7 x 25.4 cm
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
792,353 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #246 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Respiratory
- #1132 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Basic Medical Science > Anatomy
- #1287 in Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Pre-clinical Medicine
- See Complete Table of Contents
High Altitude Medicine and Physiology 5E Hardcover – 29 Nov 2012
|New from||Used from|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your e-mail address or mobile phone number.
Praise for Previous Editions:
" ... rigorously updated with several new additions, including sections on women and children at high altitude, neurological disorders, athletic training to prepare for altitude and more. All of which will undoubtedly help doctors stay abreast of this continually changing area of specialism."
―The Geographical Magazine
"With this edition, High Altitude Medicine and Physiology retains its place as the leading scholarly text on the subject."
―Ken Zafren, Wilderness and Environmental Medicine
"… a definitive text on the subject. … These are the world's experts, and I admit, my role models in so many ways. Therefore, it is an honor to review (and recommend) this book. … The coverage in this volume is extensive and, for a wilderness medicine enthusiast such as me, quite fascinating. I am particularly appreciative for the innovative discussions of such topics as 'History,' 'Commuting to high altitude for commercial and other activities,' 'Athletes and altitude,' and 'Practicalities of field studies.' … The litmus test question is whether it is sufficiently improved over the previous edition to warrant its purchase. In my opinion, the answer is a resounding, 'Yes!'"
―Dr. Paul S. Auerbach, leading authority on wilderness medicine
"... a definitive text. It should be the first port of call for anyone with medical training and an interest in high-altitude physiology or indeed planning to travel to high altitude, to gain an understanding of the associated physiological changes. ... it does contain the core principles of physiology and medicine on which these areas of medical interest are based."
―Tim Clark in Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
" … an excellent update of a valuable text and one I am happy to recommend to all those with an interest in high altitude medicine and the care of those who go there."
About the Author
John B. West MD PhD DSc FRCP FRACP, Professor of Medicine & Physiology, the School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, USA
Robert B. Schoene MD, Clinical Professor of Medicine, the School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, USA
James S. Milledge Md FRCP, Formerly Consultant Respiratory Physician and Medical Director, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, UK
Andrew Luks, Assistant Professor, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, USA
Inside This Book(Learn More)
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Respiratory
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Pre-clinical Medicine
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Basic Medical Science > Anatomy
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Basic Medical Science > Physiology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z