on 3 November 2012
I'm fourteen years old, I'm not entirely stupid, I've read all the classics and frankly, Hiccup the Viking who was Seasick supersedes them all. Absolutely astonishing. Having read obsessively the How to train Your Dragon series, I bought this more as an irony purchase, and I can't believe what I was missing out on. I have since recommended this book to fifty seven year old girls (I'm a Brownie leader, not a creepy stalker) and so far their feedback has been muck like my own: this book is unmissable. I honestly do wish I'd been born five years later so that I could have discovered this book as a bed time story when I was four/ five (incidentally, the probable target audience), and I have read this book to four cousins under the age of five and all have loved it. I thoroughly recommend this outstanding children's picture book as an introduction to the literary phenomenon that are the How to Train Your Dragon Series. More, please! Outstanding.
on 10 March 2010
A firm favourite in our family and has been for about 7 years or so. It's a good story of overcoming fear and discovering the hero inside. The illustrations are great and if you put a bit of effort into creating voices for the characters and singing the Viking song the children will love it and never get tired of it.
on 13 February 2001
Poor little Hiccup--he doesn't exactly fit in to everyone's idea of the big and fearsome Viking, with his tiny frame and delicate, polite attitude. The other Viking children mock him all the time, and won't let him join in with their rough-and-tumble games because they know he is frightened of everything from spiders to thunder. But his biggest fear is having to go to sea, and with the inevitable first voyage fast approaching, Hiccup is very worried indeed. Even his father, Stoik, laughs at his son's fears, and Hiccup is left to face his fear alone. Until, that is, Hiccup, despite his increasing seasickness, is forced to save the day when all the other Vikings turn out not to be quite as tough as they thought. Hiccup, The Viking Who Was Sick is an hilarious, heart-warming tale about a little boy facing his fears and getting to grips with the things he hates the most. Beautiful, washed illustrations capture the emotion and adventure of the high seas with a softness that will appeal to children and parents, while the bold text tells a remarkable tale that will capture imaginations and drive young readers wild with delight. Age range 3 and over, but parents will love it just as much as the kids.
on 1 February 2012
The illustrations are beautiful. The characters are great. It addresses fear and bravery but in a very subtle and positive message. Its a really nice story and as a parent one I do not tire of reading over and over again....
on 23 March 2013
Put a roaring voice on for "Stoic the Vast" and you're onto a winner with this for all the primary ages! Just scary enough for the wee ones and plenty of Viking accurate information hiding in the pictures for the bigger ones to notice. I lost my first copy, which I have had for years, so it was an absolute must to replace it for my recent Viking topic work. Even if you're not "doing Vikings" it's a beautifully written and illustrated book which is in a nice big square format for a change. It's even good if you're just wanting to discuss motion sickness.
on 30 September 2013
This is the author of the fantastically successful How to tame your dragon series of books for older children. We saw the Cressida Cowell exhibition at Seven Stories in Newcastle and we read this book there. It is funny, my boys laugh every time at the description of Hiccup's father especially the bunnies fainting and the unbrushed beard. I would love to know how to sing the sea shanty in it properly especially after hearing David Tennant's Viking songs in the Seven Stories exhibition.
on 18 May 2011
This was great for my just turned 7 year old as she loves to listen to the audio books of the main series but is not yet able to read the books herself which she finds frustrating! She really enjoyed the storyline and reread it several times in a row as soon as it was delivered. Even her 10 year old brother, who has read the whole Hiccup series, thought it was a fun read and even commented that the illustrations were awesome. We have not yet been let down by Cressida Cowell!
on 2 March 2010
This is a great introduction to Hiccup, aimed at 2-5 year olds. It tells how a rather nervous young Viking, Hiccup, is afraid of going to sea. His dismissive father, Stoik, ignores this but when the going gets really rough, young Hiccup turns out to be more heroic than he ever imagined. It's fun and shows children they can rise to even the biggest challenges. I've knocked off 1 star because it is very good, but not one of those books that will get read and re-read. However, the paperback stories of Hiccup have developed the idea and are aimed at slightly older children (7 yrs+) and are truly fantastic and commended.

Overall, a fun book and worth having as an introduction to Hiccup, but it is the later books that really shine.
on 24 August 2013
Bright and attractive pictures and a fun flowing story. I love reading it my kids love hearing it. What more could you want from a childs book.
on 6 June 2015
Probably the greatest series of books ever written according to my young son.