Size: 10 UK|Colour: Dark Brown|Change
Price:£39.50 - £74.99

on 8 July 2012
Having had a recent bad experience with Viking Rubber Dry Boots that quickly developed cracked soles I thought I would give Hi-Tec a try and bought a brown pair of their boots which came to me at the end of March this year for a very good price of £32. I loved the boots using them for dog walking in the morning each day when the grass is wet and my feet kept lovely and dry. I liked them so much that I ordered a black pair, as they were again on offer but at £36, and put them into store against the time when I had worn the first pair out. That was last week and I thought that it would be years before I needed them. Today after walking in the park my left foot felt a little damp. I took my boot off and my sock was soaking wet. Looking at the boot there was a crack right across the sole. Having read other feedback I thought that I would be easily able to return them to Amazon but it appears not. So into the wheelie bin they've gone to be removed tomorrow to landfill. But never mind I have a new pair which may last more than three months! So it seems that boots that cost £32 last three months, thats £10 a month. Bargain? Can anyone reading this recommend a manufacturer whose boots actually last more than 3 months and at a price lower than £10 a month.

This review now moves on to the 5 October 2012 and now deals with the black pair of boots mentioned above which I bought on the 4 July and have lasted just under 3 months again! Today its been raining again and I got another wet sock. Taking out the liner to the right boot I found a wet mark which looking at the sole showed another crack around one of the grips. So into the bin they go. Normal use dog walking no mountains etc. Comfy but another crappy product. In fact the Cardboard box each pair came in will have lasted longer than the boots themselves. Nice boxes rubbish boots.If they were £10 a pair I would buy them as they last 3 months but no more at £30+. So now to order some more boots!
on 14 November 2009
Conducted extensive research before buying (reviewed over 100 brands of walking boots). Based on research, selected these walking boots.

Product Feedback (after 4 weeks of daily wear): Very good quality waterproofed leather. Boot lace eyelets & hooks also of high quality - hooks have rounded edges = no frayed laces! Very comfortable & great value for money.

12-Month Update (30 Sep 2010):
These boots are far and away the best boots I've ever bought. After a year of daily fairly-rough terrain walking, the leather still looks great, is still waterproof, very comfortable and the soles are hardly worn down.

Hi-Tec is to be congratulated for the Eurotrek Waterproof Hiking Boot (can't vouch for other models!). I would have no hesitation in buying an identical pair when these ones finally wear out. Verdict: highly recommended for daily moderate-level (3-5 miles on rough ground).
on 1 March 2009
These boots fitted the bill perfectly for walking in rugged terrain and kept my feet and ankles very secure. I would reccomend to the first time buyer of such shoes.
on 17 September 2015
I would give this zero stars if I could, do not buy, spend a few quid extra and buy something decent, mines lasted about a month and a half and then went at the bottom and started letting water in
on 21 August 2015
These boots have a brown plastic coating that easily comes off if you walk over rocks or sharp branches for example. They are only fit for walking on lanes, fields or grass surfaces. Very disappointing as they are very comfortable but they are not durable at all.
on 14 December 2014
I went for a four mile walk today and at outset the boots were warm, dry and comfortable.
After 2 miles I was in agony with a rapidly developing blister on my left heel. At the end of 4 miles my right heel was painful too.
I normally take a size 9.5 but ordered size ten. They seemed to fit well initially but now I cannot use them and doubt if I can send them back having worn them 3 or four times although today was the first day I went for a walk wearing them - and the last!!
There seems to be a small ridge inside the back of the boot.
on 8 September 2011
Good features: these boots wore in really quickly; are light while providing reasonable ankle support; having 3 eyelets and 3 hooks is a good balance allowing the boots to be laced up comfortably; the air-holes in the inner sole allow moisture which has found its way into the absorbant under-sole to be wicked away - up to a point; leather construction allows the boots to be regularly greased.

Bad features: the cushioned middle-section of the tongue is not aligned in the centre of the tongue when you lace up the boots, at least not for my fairly normal feet (i.e. my feet are neither particularly arched, nor absolutely flat); the outer edges of the tongue are very thin, and clearly the weak-spot in allowing moisture to enter the boot when walking through wet bogs and shallow streams.

Are the boots really waterproof? During a 7 hour walk in the rain in Norway, my feet had become soaked after around 4 - 5 hours. It then took me 2 days to dry the boots out, and after that they quickly became wet again inside, even during relatively mild wet conditions, and despite heavy greasing.

Conclusion: the price is reasonable and you get what you pay for. For my tough hut-to-hut tour in Norway, I should have selected a more expensive and higher spec pair of boots. For less demanding walking, these boots are a good compromise.
on 25 March 2015
I bought this as a quick cheap replacement whilst I was waiting for a decision from Brasher customer services as my 9month old Supalite GTX II had cracked on the creases despite being treated and cared for properly. Well what a surprise these boots turned out to be, not only are these a few grams lighter than my Brasher Supalite GTX II's (yes I weighed them), more importantly they remain waterproof even in the heaviest rain on the side of various Welsh mountains provided you dont step in a puddle or bog that lets water go over the top of the boot.

These are also a wider fit than the Brashers and most other boots, which means your feet wont ache as quickly by being squashed up when wearing a couple pairs of socks.

I walk around 7 miles a day in the countryside with my dog mainly around Thetford forest but also spend time camping in Wales, so its important to have kit that works and is not just marketing hype. I've spent a fortune on boots over the years more than my £600+ Superlite Quasar Tent (another fine product if I might say so) which is on my back in the rucksack when camping and hiking and I do like walking in the rain unlike most.

The sad thing is, the quality of more expensive boots have declined over the years not that you would know it if from reading what various walking reporters have to say about boots in their magazines. These Hi-Tecs compare to a pair of leather boots I used to have over 20 years ago that are sadly not made anymore which I would rate as my best pair to date, with the HiTecs followed closely in 2nd place, so that give you an idea of how the quality of boots in general has declined over the years.

These boots just dont leak, its the coating on the boot which makes sure of that, the grips good once they have been walked on for a few miles and can easily handle wet rocks on the side of a mountain. If I were a squaddie and had to choose my own kit, these would be in the kit list!

I dont rate fabric boots at all even with copious amounts of waterproofing on them as its the seams which tend to let water in first and theres just too many seams in fabric boots compared to leather boots like these. Not suitable for crampons but I have a different pair for crampons as walking on ice is a different kettle of fish.

If you are a serious hiker/walker these boots wont let you down and as I said above, I walk a minimum of 7 miles a day far in excess of most reporters/bloggers giving their opinions in various magazines. I will be buying another pair of these to keep as spare or backup.
on 30 April 2015
These boot are of the high quality I have learned to expect from Hi-Tec, and potentially comfortable. It's a little too early to comment on durability, but I walk 2 to 3 mile each morning on a mix of sand dunes, shingle, grass and ordinary sidewalk, so I shall soon find out how long they last.
I have only one criticism; The width of the boot is just a little too narrow to allow full function of the lacing. Consequently, the tongue is not properly held in place. Whilst not a problem on short walks, I suspect this could present a real problem on for example a ten mile cross country hike. :-)
on 13 May 2015
Owned a few pairs of these over the years and I can't fault them for the price. I have never had blisters from them or had to wear a pair in, they are the most comfortable walking boots I have ever had. I use them for walks ranging from 2-5 miles a few times a week - they grip well in mud, they are water proof and they don't make my feet sweat in hot weather. Giving the boots a good wash once a week and putting protector on them every few weeks does seem to prolong the life of them.

I have had problems with these hi-tec boots that I have bought recently which I believe is faulty manufacturing. The first pair I bought one of the cleats snapped off as I was lacing them up and so I got a replacement in February 2015 from Amazon. The replacement had a loose cleat after wearing them round the house so I returned these as well. I could not get another replacement from Amazon because Amazon was Investing issues with these boots, so I bought a pair from Yoemens - through Amazon market place and one of the cleat hooks broke off on these. So I returned these and got another pair from Amazon and after a few weeks of warring them on of the cleats came very loose and the sole started to peel away from the leather and so I returned them again. The last pair of hi-tec boots that I owned lasted me 22 months and I had to dispose of them because the soles were warring through. The cleats on these boots that lasted me 22 months were coming slightly loose but the cleats should never come loose to the point where you can rotate them 180 degrees with your fingers after warring them for a short period of time - I hope this isn't a permanent problem Hi-Tec. Amazon being Amazon I had no problem with returns and didn't pay return postage through the post office.