- Audio CD (27 Sep 2010)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Import
- Label: Ace Records
- ASIN: B003Z41FGG
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 183,514 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
|1. CYCLE SET - Donna Loren|
|2. DON'T DRAG NO MORE - Susan Lynne|
|3. HEY BEACH BOY - Andrea Carroll|
|4. SHOOT THE CURL - The Honeys|
|5. PRAY FOR SURF - The Honeys|
|6. HE'S MY BLONDE-HEADED, STOMPIE WOMPIE, REAL GONE SURFER GUY - Little Pattie & The Statesmen|
|7. SURFER'S PLAYMATE - The Fleetwoods|
|8. DRAG RACE JOHNNY - Little Pattie & The Statesmen|
|9. WE'RE GOIN' SURFIN' - The Wailers With The Marshans|
|10. ROD HOT ROD - The King Pins|
|11. BEACH BLANKET BINGO - Donna Loren|
|12. RED CORVETTE - Ellie Gee & The Jets|
|13. LONELY LITTLE BEACH GIRL - Carol Connors|
|14. ATTENTION! ACCIDENT (SUR AUTOROUTE DE L'OUEST) - Les Gam's|
|15. (DANCE WITH THE) SURFIN' BAND - Hal Blaine & The Young Cougars|
|16. YOUR BABY'S GONE SURFIN' - Duane Eddy & The Rebelettes|
|17. DRAGGIN' WAGON - The Surfer Girls|
|18. (YOU CAN'T TAKE) MY BOYFRIEND'S WOODY - The Angels|
|19. SURFIN' - The Orlons|
|20. I MISS MY SURFER BOY TOO - The Westwoods|
See all 25 tracks on this disc
* The influence of California's Beach Boys permeates "Hey, Beach Girls!" as it did the world of music in 1963. Brian Wilson and his cohorts had not long zoomed to the Top 3 with `Surfin' USA' when an opportunist East Coast record company exec with his eye on the latest pop fads concocted a plan to grab a piece of the action. Bestowing the Surfer Girls moniker on a new young female trio, he ushered them into the studio to cut `Draggin' Wagon' to the very same tune.
* Over in Paris, France's top girl group Les Gam's flipped over the same Beach Boys platter to give `Shut Down' their inimitable yé-yé treatment and in Australia teenager Little Pattie stormed the charts with `He's My Blonde-Headed, Stompie Wompie, Real Gone Surfer Guy'.
* It's doubtful that much surfing went on in Detroit, but the Supremes dipped their toes in the water with `Surfer Boy', one of two numbers they got to sing in the movie Beach Ball. In Philadelphia, epicentre of dance craze culture, the Orlons and Dee Dee Sharp took a break from the watusi and the mashed potato to cut tracks for the rare "Everybody's Goin' Surfin'" LP: `Surfin'' and `Riding The Waves' make their CD debut here.
* Other highlights include hideously obscure and collectable decks from the Westwoods, the Fleetwoods, the Beach Girls, Ellie Gee (short for Greenwich, natch) & the Jets, the Surfettes and Andrea Carroll, all of whose contributions are also new to CD. Not forgetting, of course, Ginger, Diane and Brian Wilson's wife Marilyn, otherwise known as the Honeys, without whom no surfing girls compilation would be complete.