• Hero

Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2015
Amazing story. This really hits home shows how evil some carers can be but also the trouble people can have within themselves can manifest in horrifying consequences
on 10 May 2012
Firstly, don't start reading this book unless you have the time to finish it in one sitting. I just couldn't put it down. I was up until the early hours, because I had to know the ending. I have read a lot of Wrath James White's work and I have never been disappointed. I haven't read anything by Gonzalez, but I intend to rectify that. The synopsis tells you about the story, so I won't bore you. What I will say is that the authors go far deeper than just producing a horror story. They highlight racist attitudes and give you viewpoints from both the racists and those seeking the abolition of racist attitudes. This makes the reader think deeply. I bought this book because I love Wrath James White's work, but this was different to what I expected. I expected the violence and gore (and there is plenty of this, although not as much as usual) but what this book gave me was an opportunity to explore racist attitudes from the people on the receiving end to the people instigating them and I found myself getting an in-depth view of such a sensitive topic. The characters are all beautifully formed (as usual) and the reader feels that each character is a personal friend. It is beautifully and professionally edited...none of the all too frequent typos, spelling, grammatical errors that seem to litter most e-books these days. This is a book that you should read, if you are not easily offended. For fans of White's work, you will love it. It has the trademark blood, violence, gore and torture that we are used to. I was quite sceptical when I saw that Adelle, one of the main characters, was an elderly lady as I thought that maybe there wouldn't be much of that to fit in with the stereotypical older person but I needn't have worried. Well done authors...give us some more.
on 6 April 2012
Hero is brought to you by two modern day horror maestros - Wrath James White and J.F. Gonzalez - both of whom are known to bring edgy and original stories to print. This particular book was originally released as a hard-cover only four years ago and was been long out of print until Deadite Press decided to re-release it in a more affordable and easy to get form.

The book follows an elderly lady called Adelle, a former civil rights activist, who has a stroke and needs the constant care at home of a nurse. The lady put in change of Adelle's care is Natsinet, a young lady who doesn't see a lady needing help but the cause of her own childhood problems and goes on to torture Adelle.

The book is very well written and the authors have done a good job at making an evil and realistic female villain which moves the story along at a good pace. The story as a whole also does a good job at making you root for Adelle, you feel sorry for her when she's being tortured and want Natsinet to be found out.

If you pick up this book you won't want to put it down - brilliant.
on 24 September 2012
One of the best stories I've read this year. I'm not going to go into what the story is about as the synopsis and two previous reviews cover this but what I will say is that I'm generally not a big fan of collaborations. I have read several and although some have been done well most have been disappointing. This book however can't be faulted. The storyline flows extremely smoothly and the characters are fantastic. As previously mentioned it is almost imposable to put this book down and I would recommend it to anyone. It is a hard book to read though as it's pretty heart wrenching stuff but it's one of those books that will always be with you.
on 7 September 2014
very much enjoyed this book. it shows a person who believes in themselves would never give up no matter what. very difficult to put this book down once I started.