on 26 August 2014
Bought this as a gift for a friend. First thing to note is that the package is well presented and it's clear what it is when opening (and as it's a nice square box it's also easy to wrap!).

But the more important question is, Can you actually grow the herbs or is it just a novelty item? Well, I'm pleased to report that the recipient of this gift did indeed get a full crop of herbs from all the seeds that were included. I've got no idea how (not being the green fingered type myself), but I do know she was happy to report success with her mini herb garden.

So in summary, a nicely presented stocking filler that's actually useful... In my experience that's pretty rare! :)
on 9 August 2012
I haven't grown anything before and as part of a health drive I thought I would try my hand at growing some herbs to start with. You get everything you need to start growing your plants and it all went brilliantly. I saw my plants grow very quickly, however I would have liked some advice on how often to water each type of plant.
on 19 August 2013
I have waited some time before writing this review as I wanted to see how the grew and tasted.

Now I have done that - I am very pleased with them. I have full, healthy plants that we are already harvesting.

I will definitely be looking at other products from Plant Theatre.
on 22 April 2016
I think it's luck of the draw whether you get an old kit or not. Mine has a packing date of before June 2014. I was given it for Christmas 2015, so I'm planting it now in 2016. Most seeds should be used as quickly as possible - but the expiry date on this 2014 kit is 2017!!

All that's in this kit:

6x 2" diameter biodegradable pots that go mouldy when sealed in a bag as instructed

6x smooth blank plastic plant labels but no pen

6x Expanding compost pellets

6 weirdly chosen packets of seeds (basil, chives, rocket, thyme, parsley, coriander). Rocket? Really?

A booklet of overcomplicated instructions

Extras you will need:

Resealable plastic bags for germination

A fine tipped permanent marker to write on the labels

A tray to stand your pots in for watering/stopping them falling over

Extra compost and pots to grow the leftover seeds

Bigger pots/compost for potting on

Alternative seeds that aren't two years old

For a start the instructions are a nonsense. They say to "sow thinly" in the tiny two inch pots. So that's one seed per pot then? Even sowing thickly there are not enough pots. Everything is thrown straight in the box loose. It looks cheap and incomplete. Even my sunflower kit from the pound shop came nicely packaged with a propagator and a bag of compost. And they actually grew... Having said that, the old tomato seeds I scraped off my fridge door grew better than this kit.

The basil grew fine; the chives, thyme, parsley and coriander did nothing, and I haven't yet planted the rocket because I don't like it and consider it to be a salad crop rather than a herb garden plant anyway. But that could be because my family grows it for a living...

Please don't buy this as a gift for anyone. This kit is an insult for experienced gardeners, and a massive disappointment for new gardeners. There are better ones out there with a lower price tag.
on 17 May 2011
I was sick of paying expensive costs at the supermarket for herbs when a friend recommended to buy this herb kit from Plant Theatre.
I found the design attractive and clear on what the product was.
Easy, straightforward instructions to follow, I was very impressed to see my herbs growing in such a short space of time.
The coriander and parsley have had to be put in extra pots! The other four products also produced good quality herbs.
An excellent present, will definitely be getting them for friends - can't wait to try the chilli and pepper kit!
on 13 June 2014
It's a nice kit. It provides you with bio degradable pots which to me meant I could plant it straight out in my new 'rough' soil garden. You're supposed to keep the plants inside for a while, but my plants did fine outside. I wish they had mint, but overall a nice affordable set with everything you need.
on 23 May 2011
These were given as a present and they're blooming marvellous! The box has all that you need to get going and I've had success already with shoots growing nicely. Will be purchasing more.
on 16 April 2011
I received the Plant Theatre Herb Garden kit as a gift and planted the seeds just 10 days ago. Placed the pots (2 in polythene bags as per the instruction within the kit) on my bathroom window sill. All six pots are now jam-packed with seedlings. I'm going to replant these to my herb garden, and plant the remainder of the seeds in the seed pots. Should have enough herbs for the season!
review image
on 28 April 2016
Was quite shocked at the size, very small box. I agree with the other one star comments, the pots are teeny and not one single one sprouted, even though they were placed in a miniature glass house on the window sill inside. I would have been better off going to Morrisons and buying them for 99p each.
on 23 February 2015
All sorts of different herbs and fun and frolics for all the family. How we laughed when sprinkling home grown coriander onto our curries and fresh basil onto our homemade lasagne. Buy one now, an essential for any discerning cook's kitchen window ledge.....