on 13 November 2001
Definitely the best French grammar book on the market. Thoroughly organised in easy stages with excercises at every stage. This book is not for beginners in French: you need to know have a reasonable grounding in French to understand what is taught but has definitely filled in all that I needed to reach A Level standard. The diagnostics at the beginning of each chapter are a brilliant idea as they enable you to know where improvement is needed. The subject material is also current and up to date and the examples given cover all aspects.
0Comment|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 September 2007
I have this book to help me with my A level French grammar and I think it is well worthwhile. Each section has a quiz at the beginning to see how much you know before reading the chapter yourself. Each chapter is split into smaller chunks which make the grammar really easy to learn and so that you can learn it at your own pace. I always find highlighting the bits I don't understand useful so that when I look at it again I can re-read those bits. Also all the answers are in the back not in another booklet which I find a lot easier to use than other grammar books that I have used in the past. No cheating though!!!! All in all, a fantastic teach it yourself book but you may need help from another person who has a knowledge to explain the more difficult bits.
on 24 December 2007
This is the best French grammar book I've found. Ideal for A level students. Packs a huge amount in. Printed on high quality glossy paper and not an inch wasted. Lots of exercises with a couple of pages of learning between. Covers a lot of ground and very thoroughly. Not a textbook of grammar but ideal for those with GCSE level who wish to progress to A level standard. The exercises are very up to date and don't have that dated feeling that so many grammar books have. Excellent value for what it contains.
on 30 March 2010
Help Yourself to Advanced French Grammar: a Grammar Reference and Workbook Post-GCSE/advanced Level

I found this book after looking at reviews here on Amazon. I am slowly working through the book a chapter at a time and find that each chapter is very well laid out. It has some good reference sections as well. I have bought many French Grammar books but I rate this one the best
on 31 August 2006
Really helped me with my grammar for A level. Definitely would recommend it to A level students who struggle with grammar or just want some brushing up on it.
on 10 December 2010
I already have the first edition of this book which was a compulsory purchase for my degree ten years ago. I didn't really like it much, but in the hunt for a better grammar book and disappointed at the lack of advanced French grammar books on the market, I opted to try this newer version. I am pleased to say that this version is much better. It's laid out in a more logical order, and is nicer/easier on the eye. It has slightly different exercises to the old version too which is helpful for anyone in the same position as me.
on 3 December 2009
I bought this book a few years ago and I keep going back to it for reference. You can work through the book if you want to. But I use it for checking certain grammar points and to get some examples. I will continue to use it in conjunction with my other grammar books and I recommend other readers to do the same.
on 17 May 2011
When I started using this as a workbook, attempting to regain the standard I had attained doing A-level French, I found the layout very clear and concise, allowing use both as a tutorial and as a grammar reference book.
However, I have started to find a few mistakes and contradictions in it. Of course, the vast majority of the details given are correct, but when I regularly find the answer to an exercise contradicts the grammatical example given on the previous page, I begin to lose confidence in the book!
Unfortunately the knock-on effect is that, each time my answer to an exercise differs from the one given and I cannot immediately understand why, then I begin to wonder if it's another error.
Iron out the bugs and this would be a really good grammar book. May I offer my services as proof-reader...?
on 19 June 2013
My (French) teacher of French uses this book to set me exercises. As someone now living in France who studied French to 'A' level in the sixties and gained an 'F' grade I can only wish I had had this book then. Who knows? I might have scraped a pass. As it is, now it is a supplement to the 'Whitmarsh' text we are using for translation exercises. Clear, concise, logical!! and easy to follow, of the dozen or so textbooks I have bought this is the best.
on 30 July 2013
This was a core book for my uni course as I'm studying languages. It explains every grammar point in detail and gives examples too. The only downside is the layout - it's very cramped and a little difficult to follow. Would be easier if each grammar point was introduced properly and if things were a little more spaced out. Other than that, it's an asset for advanced French courses.