Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.49

on 24 October 2014
After many unplanned interruptions I finally finished this excellent book. I resented every moment I had to leave the story. Based in the Middle East, it is very relevant to today's terrorist threats from that region. Chris, a much respected BBC broadcaster based in the Middle East, gets caught up in a terrorist plot to blow up a peace conference in an unbelievably awful way. I found myself wondering just how he was going to get out of the situation alive. Two love stories run through the tale, one with disastrous unforeseeable results and the other of unrequited love, just as tragic in it's way. Chris feels responsible for the death of a colleague and sets up a Foundation in the man's name. The dead man's daughter falls in love with the broadcaster, a love with a violent outcome. It is easy to imagine how gullible young men and women can be when fed with Jihadist idealism by plausible and in some cases charismatic preachers. I was swept along by the action and was sorry when I finished the story.
on 27 July 2014
A frightening story of today's world. Very thought provoking and a real page turner. Only complaint is the same as Louth's last novel - you get a bit confused following when you are whilst reading on a kindle. Easy to look back pages on a hard copy but not so convenient on a kindle. Don't let this put you off what is a great read. Look forward to his next one.
on 2 July 2015
I loved this book from start to finish. A gripping page-turning thriller with plenty of twists and clever turns. The author obviously delves into his own experiences to portray with panache the complex and confusing Middle East conflict.The story is told through the eyes of a jaded journalist who is so used to terror and death he becomes too blase about the risks he is taking, especially with the women he becomes involved with. Their fates are intertwined but you are left to the last page to work out just how. The characters keep you guessing about their next move and the plot is very realistic. In fact I was reading the final chapter as another real-life terrorist attack sadly hit the news. This novel has never been more relevant! An ideal summer read but you may not want to read it on the plane!
on 23 December 2014
Starts a little slowly and reads almost as factual documentary on Middle Eastern politics ( a very insightful one). Then it picks up as the storyline intensifies to a gripping and frighteningly realistic conclusion. Authentic and meticulously well researched this really is a cut above the standard terrorist plot thriller.
on 10 January 2015
This is really pretty good. A dense, detailed and believable tale of news reporting, love, terror and bombs that moves across the middle East from Beirut to Yemen to Egypt. It's particularly good on how young people get radicalised, and there's a great resourceful heroine. I really did stay up to finish it.

If you listen to Radio 4 you will recognise the character of Wyrecliffe who presents the early morning news programme. There's an almost perfect facsimile of how the BBC presents the news which had me nodding in recognition.

In fact the worst thing about this book is the cover, which is so bad I am deducting a point. On the writing alone this would be five stars.
on 28 June 2015
A truly superb book. Twists and turns like a slippery eel. A story of love and destiny that is played out against a backdrop of jihadist extremism. There is a film in this book just waiting to get out. Just buy it.
on 4 August 2014
As someone who lived through the eighties in contact with many different Arabs nationals, and having had a colleague and friend kidnapped in Beirut, I am not easily impressed by fiction about the time.... but this effortlessly took me back there and brought me forward to the present with consummate ease. A very good read and frighteningly plausible. I found it difficult to put down. I came to it having read Bite, equally well-written and looking to find if the Author could keep it up - I believe we have found a new Michael Crichton
on 29 July 2014
nick louth is a terrific story-teller - gripping from the word go [and in lots of ways the possibilities are really scarey] Read this after 'Bite' which I had already told friends to read.
on 21 July 2014
This book took some time to kick into action because there was lots of character background introduced, however the more you read you could see why the author needed to do this. It was a complex story handled extremely well. I felt I had learnt a lot about Middle East conflicts, tensions, terrorists and victims through this amazing story. I loved it, it was a brilliant page turner and I would strongly recommend it.
on 6 November 2015
This book takes you places, gets under the skin of international terrorism and up close to the lives of the (fairly) ordinary people who are touched by it. Nick Louth somehow transforms the stuff you half-hear on the breakfast news to an utterly believable and multi-layered narrative. Not usually my go-to type of book but I will be looking out for more by this author.