TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 October 2014
This book falls into the genre of Christian historical fiction. In the UK, we can forget that there is quite a large market for this kind of book in the US. It is written with great sincerity by someone with profound Christian beliefs, which I share. It isn't my kind of fiction so I'm trying to review it with detachment and fairness. [Like some of the other reviewers, I downloaded it because it was free and, I must say, if people download a book which isn't really their kind of thing, because of the low price, it isn't really fair to leave strongly negative comments when it just isn't what they wanted to read.]
The concept of a cultivated American girl moving to the Australian outback with a new husband is interesting and well-conceived. The descriptions of Australia are vivid, bringing the landscape and culture alive. The characters are also interesting. I sometimes find it difficult to decide whether a book has a poor writing style or whether the writer is just using Americanisms. Also, it may be that this genre requires undemanding writing and a certain lack of depth. I did think that a better writer would have developed the characters more fully. It struck me as Mills and Boone type writing with a Christian message. Many people will enjoy it, I am sure, and I am glad that there is wholesome Christian literature out there.
on 2 August 2013
Finished this book in no time at all and have now downloaded book 2. This is definitely my kind of reading, a family saga where it's not all plain sailing. The author's style of writing brings the characters to life, and I followed Rebecca's journey from Boston socialite to Australian rancher's wife, feeling her frustration at the setbacks along the way. Can't wait to find out what's next in store for her.
on 17 May 2014
I was disappointed in this book. I like a good love story and a Christian story but Bertram is so powerful and such a bully that he gives Christians a bad name. I was shouting ( in my head) at my KIndle because he was so frustrating. I wouldn't mind so much but the story was a bit long winded - in places I skipped pages of the narrative because there were lots of words but the story wasn't moving on.
on 24 March 2014
This book is really amazing. I have never read a book that I could not put down before. This book keeps you wanting more, you never know what is going to happen until it did, even the end you did not know until the last page. It has anger, fear, happiness, love and adventure and forgiveness. Thank you Bonnie cant wait to read another book by her.
on 14 November 2014
it was a brilliant story ,I really loved it as I have a son and daughter in law and grandchildren living in Australia ,and we have spent a lot of time over there ,so the author has really brought it to life for me.cant wait to read the next two books ,I have already downloaded them (brilliant)
on 25 February 2015
I liked this book but found it a bit unrealistic. The main character Rebecca seems double-minded and the story's ending is predictable. Still enjoyed reading it though.
on 1 December 2013
I rated this at 5 as it was the first one of a trilogy of the lifer on the land in Australia, It was enjoyable from beginning to end and I bought the next one.
on 8 January 2013
I've read Bonnie's other novels based in Australia, and when I saw these, I just had to have them. I only started reading the first book the other day, but it's another page turner. If anyone who isn't familiar with her books, she is a brilliant author, and tells a very interesting tale.

Keep up the good work Bonnie, and let's have more of those Aussie tales.
on 27 August 2013
This book has you gripped from the beginning. When you read it, you actually feel as if you are in Australia. I found I couldn't put it down.
on 16 January 2014
i loved this book you can also learn about what it was like in Austraila years ago very good read.