4.5 out of 5 stars1,055

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 March 2014
I have greatly enjoyed reading this book and seeing the development of the characters from the previous one As The Crow Flies (The DI Nick Dixon Crime Series). In my review of that book I mentioned that I would like to see the partnership of trust between Nick Dixon and Jane Winter growing, but I didn't expect it to grow in quite the way it did, nor as fast as it did. Suddenly they know each other very well, and Jane is privy to a secret about Nick which we didn't know about in the previous book. I am glad to see a police detective with a real "thorn in the flesh", his condition makes him much more realistic and it was well dealt with from the first mention, even down to the full blown hypo. We are beginning to get to know Nick much more and hopefully in the next book we will see more of Jane's character emerging.

During the investigation we see Nick and his team chasing down every clue and gradually coming up with a connection between the cases but bewildered about the motive. As they tie things together they are able to work out the reasons behind these events and from that they can deduce who it is they are looking for - but he has disappeared without trace. Each time they think they have a credible suspect, something happens to prove them wrong. Will they ever get it right or will it come down to pure chance?

I liked Nick and his team, they are purposeful and focused but manage to retain their humanity, showing respect for both the living and the dead, and a dogged determination to get the perpetrator of these horrific crimes.

My only gripe about these books is that they are just too short - I read them too quickly.
on 29 December 2013
Bought this straight after reading As The Crow Flies, follows on nicely and another fab story that kept me interested until the last page. Another great ending and can't wait for the next one!
on 4 January 2014
A fast paced book, quick to read and had me guessing all the way through until the end. Brilliant book!
on 13 December 2014
Head in the Sand by Damien Boyd

Highly Recommended

Detective Inspector Nick Dixon is awakened at 7.15am by his boss, DCI Lewis, informing him that a severed head has been found in a bunker on the twelfth hole of Burnham and Berrow golf course. The police attend the scene of crime and seal off the whole golf course, much to the annoyance of the club secretary and the acting chief constable who is playing in the monthly medal. When a dog walker reports a burnt out car with a headless body in it on the nearby beach, so starts a murder hunt that will span nearly four decades.
This is Damien Boyd’s second book in the DI Nick Dixon series, and I have to say that it is as good as the first, if not better. Boyd develops Dixon’s character further in this book, and we see that although he is a very good copper, we once again see that he is not averse to taking risks with his career. The romantic element with DC Jane Winter is also progressed and we observe a real ‘partnership’ brewing.
I look forward to reading the third book in the series, Kickback.
on 8 June 2014
This was just great, gone is watching the telly, find me tucked up again with this Damien Boyd book. Read his first As the Crows Flies and this one is just as riveting. With his Diabetics it shows the detectives vulnerable, a realistic and human touch, I like that. You can relate to him as a person not just as a crime solver. His relationship with Jane winter has moved on a pace, but interestingly he does not allow this to interfere with his job. Re as she tries to manoeuvre him into a intimate situation his response is "later". tells you loads about the character of Nick Dixon and his attitude to his job. Great Stuff. This is just as fast paced and decisive as the first book. I am now about to start Kickback.
on 15 December 2013
I like Damien's matter of fact, no nonsense writing. So many authors spend too much time telling the reader what the weather was like or what the scenery was like or giving an in depth narration about the character's square jaw and deep blue eyes or button bursting boobs. Eye-glazing stuff. Damien keeps this to a minimum and just gets on with the story line yet he still manages to give all relevant information needed for the reader to form opinions of characters or picture a scene. You just want to keep on reading. Complete surprise at the end - only meagre clues given throughout the book, sufficient to dismiss this character. Like many of the other reviewers I am familiar with the area in which the story is set, but this would have been a thoroughly good read even if it was set in Timbuktoo. Hope you are working Dixon III Damien.
on 9 December 2014
This is the second DI Nick Dixon book. I read the first, 'As the Crow Flies', & thoroughly enjoyed it, so sought out this, the second in the series. The characters are great - very believable. I particularly enjoy the fact that the books are from the perspective of the main character Nick Dixon, so there are no graphic descriptions of violent acts being carried out; you have to think about the who and why which is a nice change. There are descriptions of the victim, but from the view of the people trying to piece everything together and solve the crime. The author also ties in the private life of the main character, so you get an impression of a whole person. I enjoyed this book as much as the first, and will certainly be reading more by this author.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 April 2016
A new [to me] author and publishing house. Given the Somerset setting, I had assumed that the latter was based in the UK but it turns out to be in Seattle. This is one of those rare contemporary books, a police procedural story of just 200 pages. Thankfully, Damien Boyd’s setting is far removed from Midsomer Norton or Mummerset.

DI Nick Dixon of Avon and Somerset Police is a well-rounded character who appears on almost every page, in external locations he is almost always accompanied by his dog, Monty. Although he is surrounded by a team, most notably DC Jane Winter with whom he is having a relationship, none of these other characters is developed much in the course of the story which is its main weakness. Its main strengths, apart from its length, are the plotting and the authentic West Country location. The story’s brevity means that there are no detailed interacting storylines that, according to personal taste, distract or ground most contemporary murder mystery/police procedural books. Dixon’s affair is not allowed to distract from the developing momentum of the investigation.

Following a short prologue, the book opens with the shocking discovery of a severed head in a bunker on the Burnham and Berrow golf course; the remainder of the body is found in a torched car on a nearby beach. The investigation, which is very well resourced, soon reveals a series of similar murders going back over many years and the challenge to the team is to identify the link and track down the killer or killers. Given the grisly nature of the killings, medical examinations and subsequent autopsies, Boyd does not dwell too much on the gore but simply relies on the reader’s imagination. There are also some gentle touches of humour that offer contrast to the dark storyline. Whilst there are coincidences [not least at the end of the story], these did not significantly detract from my overall enjoyment.

Boyd creates an intricate plot with many twists and turns. Dixon shares one characteristic with Wallender and Morse, and the description of his hypoglycaemia is very authentic, as I know from personal experience. The attitude of the detective and his colleagues to this event is, however, very worrying – although it smacks of real life and suggests a thread to be developed in later books. The DI controls his colleagues much more tightly than is often the case, partly down to the lack of definition of their characters and also to the compactness of the story.

This can be read as a stand-alone but, as this series develops, it is to be hoped that the author will flesh out the characters and allow them to develop personalities. Having said that there is part of me that finds it refreshing to find a series of police characters who are not falling apart psychologically.

This is a very punchy book and I admit that I was very surprised by the number of reviews that it has already gathered. I certainly look forward to reading the author’s further books that seem to be appearing in a torrent. I note that they seem to be becoming longer and hope that Boyd will not succumb to pressures to over-write and extend, 9/10.
on 10 December 2015
An exceptionally well crafted and equally well written account of a murder investigation by Detective Inspector Dixon, which I followed avidly to the end. A most enjoyable read.

Less enjoyable is the recent invasion of adverts which have blighted my Kindle experience when researching Kindle books. This intrusion is by unwanted addvertising by Gamezooks and Kilkoo Amazon, and all attempts to avoid this, result in closure of the Kindle window. I am thoroughly fed-up of unasked for Amazon offers of mechanical spares for my car, baby carriers and articles of women's clothing. I do not know how to stop this, but PLEASE KINDLE tell AMAZON to STOP IT !
on 18 December 2013
Haven't read a book this good for a long time has kept me intrigued from the first page a real good page turner