Hawking's 'Brief History' ... any similar books out there?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Aug 2007 21:54:56 BDT
Claire says:
Hi, I have recently started to read around the topic of quantum physics. After having watched a bbc show about the atom I want to know more. I am seeking the opinion of anyone who has read about this subject and can recommend books. Should I start with 'Brief History' or are there better (but maybe less famed) works out there that offer the layman a way in to this topic?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2008 09:46:56 BDT
I highly recommend 'Big Bang' by Simon Singh. It isn't so much about quantum physics, but it is about cosmology and atoms etc. It is highly readable and i've just finsihed it and still gushing about it! I've read Brief History (twice) and 'Big Bang' is more accessable and covers similar themes. I'd recommend that first and then Brief History once you're warmed up. Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2008 18:09:16 BDT
Ted Maxwell says:
There are many book on quantum physics out there. some of the easiest ones i found were feynmans 'six easy pieces' brian greenes 'the elegant universe' and obviously 'a brief history of time'

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2009 22:54:07 BDT
Charlie T. says:
If it's quantum physics you want, not cosmology, try In Search of Schrodinger's Cat, by John Gribbin, or QED by Richard Feynman. Avoid Hawking.

Posted on 1 Sep 2011 01:27:04 BDT
The 'atom' series was excellent, and proper physics. Hawkings books are more about fantasy than physics, intended to make people wonder at how mysterious the universe is rather than to help them try to understand it. As far as I can tell, the main reasons people like Hawking's books are that he is a genius and he is disabled. QED by Feyman is well written and proper physics, but does not cover a subject that most people would find interesting. My book Squish Theory 1 covers similar subjects to A brief history of time, but in a completely different way, so it might interest anybody who found Hawking's book as impenetrable as I did.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xaccdc87c)

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  4 Aug 2007
Latest post:  1 Sep 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Brief History of Time
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (CD-ROM - Jun 1996)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (158)